Thread: Most common problems in Z4

My Cars
    Z4

Most common problems in Z4

Hi I've make some search what are the most likely problems on Z4s. I am abot to buy one and I would like to know in advance. For example, I've read the wiper motors may break and the engin can suffer overheating so proper maintenance of the cooling system is very important. Can you give me your impressions? Sorry I'm new and I am about to buy my first BMW

My Cars
    2007 Imola Red/Black
    What kind of z4 are you talking about?
    His: RIP-E86 ///M Coupe: Pics Track Pics Vids
    Hers: 997-1 C4S: Pics

My Cars
    Z4
    Oh sorry you're right. It's a 2004 2.5l manual transmission (with electric roof)

But anyway - I may not buy this very one, so a "general" review of the most common problems may be interesting. Thank you!

Alessio
    Last edited by manoweb; 04-23-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0si
    I think you are best off if you just read through what's already on the forums. You can search for certain things. The Z4 is a pretty solid car, 2003 was the first year and 2006 was an upgrade year which had some significant changes. Like always, the first years with anything has more issues than later years. But that's not necessarily to say a 2006 is healthier choice than a 2003. I'm not sure you will get too much info from your thread since it's a vague question, that's why I think you are better off reading previous posts. You will get great info from that.

My Cars
    Z4 M, X3 35i, 550i
    my radio/navi bugs out during the winter on cold days.

and despite bringing my key to get reprogrammed multiple times at the dealer, i still have problems unlocking/locking my car with the remote.

My Cars
    06 3.0 SI
    The 03 was missing several creature features that the 04/04 build and later has. The 03 passenger window did not have one touch up/down, the drivers side did. The 03 did not have remote top down from the key fob. 03 did not play MP3's either.Find a car that has the features that you want. IMHO heated seats are great, Xenons are awesome, Sport mode is very fun.
    ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

My Cars
    '04 330i ZHP 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
    The 03 was missing several creature features that the 04/04 build and later has. The 03 passenger window did not have one touch up/down, the drivers side did. The 03 did not have remote top down from the key fob. 03 did not play MP3's either.Find a car that has the features that you want. IMHO heated seats are great, Xenons are awesome, Sport mode is very fun.

Only reasons I hate my '03. But at least it's Sport/Premium w/Heated Seats and Xenons =D

Other than that, I love the car. I do love the '06 facelift though. Much sexier.

Kind of off-topic but, can the business cd be swapped for a newer one with the MP3 capability?

My Cars
    06 3.0 SI
    Quote Originally Posted by Enemy View Post
    Only reasons I hate my '03. But at least it's Sport/Premium w/Heated Seats and Xenons =D

Other than that, I love the car. I do love the '06 facelift though. Much sexier.

Kind of off-topic but, can the business cd be swapped for a newer one with the MP3 capability?
    I really can not answer that for sure.
    ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

My Cars
    Z4
    Sport mode is very fun.
    I have found this:
    Sport mode in the BMW Z4 Roadster.

Activating sport mode makes the BMW Z4 Roadster feel even more dynamic. Just press the "Sport" button and the vehicle's electronic control units switch to sportier settings for the engine, steering and, on automatic models, the transmission. The engine responds more keenly, the steering's power assistance is reduced at low and medium revs for a more direct feel and the transmission adopts sportier shift characteristics.

I am considering a manual transmission; will the sport button really make a difference? In case the model I find does not have it, is it possible to mount it? Similar options on other cars exist and they have all the wiring, only the button is missing and can be easily installed.

Thank you
    Alessio
    Last edited by manoweb; 04-25-2009 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    91 318is
    In the manual it will just make the throttle more responsive with less input and tighten up the steering. Personally I like the tighter steering feel, but the change in the throttle takes getting used to. Some say they actually find it too sensitive and like the throttle better without the sport button on so they can better regulate throttle through turns.

My Cars
    06 3.0 SI
    Quote Originally Posted by manoweb View Post

I am considering a manual transmission; will the sport button really make a difference? In case the model I find does not have it, is it possible to mount it? Similar options on other cars exist and they have all the wiring, only the button is missing and can be easily installed.

Thank you
    Alessio

I'm not sure that it can be added. Perhaps by BMW. I'm thinking that the sport button just gives you another map in the ECU. I would think that that the map is there just no way to activate it. For those of us that have steptronic this can be a disadvantage as when the sport button is depressed the trans will not allow high gear. Can't be sporty in high gear , go figure.
    ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

My Cars
    09 Routan 04 Z4 3.0i
    The 03 did not have remote top down from the key fob.

How do you do this? I have looked all through the manual and online and cannot find how I can lower the top remotely. I know its a stupid knewb question but I have to ask. LOL

My Cars
    06 3.0 SI
    Quote Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
    How do you do this? I have looked all through the manual and online and cannot find how I can lower the top remotely. I know its a stupid knewb question but I have to ask. LOL
    As long as you have a 04/04 build or newer 05/04. From the key you press and keep depressed the unlock button ( the button closest to the metal part of the key ) and within 15 seconds the top will be down. Keep in mind the range of the key is a short distance. Do not let anything come between the key and the inside rear view mirror ( that is where the reciever is ) . If in doubt of your build date, check the drivers door jam on the car for the plate and it will tell you there. 03/04 builds and before 01/04 did not have the remote operation, hope this helps.
    ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

My Cars
    09 Routan 04 Z4 3.0i
    Thank you sir, it works as advertised!! In appreciation I give you a photo of my new dust free brakes that I installed this morning.

My Cars
    '04 330i ZHP 6spd
    lawlz

My Cars
    06 3.0 SI
    Thank you sir, it works as advertised!! In appreciation I give you a photo of my new dust free brakes that I installed this morning.

I would rather have the brakes and rotors, 4 please

I spent Saturday replacing the Vanos seals on my 04 3.0 with 139K on the dial. Time well spent IMHO
    ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

My Cars
    2007 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Enemy View Post
    Yes, it can - it's a direct swap, as far as fitting goes. Unfortunately, the later radios are black, while the early ones are gray, so it won't match unless you replace the vent above with the later version as well.
    You had your entire life to prepare for today.

My Cars
    2011 328XI Sedan
    In the 03 there you can't open with the remote, HOWEVER! I did find that if you put the key in the door and turn the unlock position and then do it again and hold it, the top and the windows will go down! Makes getting in easier!
    Last edited by Bimmercrazee; 04-27-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    03 Z4 3.0 Titanium Sliver / Blk (Summer Car)
    08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS (winter car)
    03 Mini Cooper S Blk/Blk (Miss you)

06 SAAB 93 Aero Conv. Anniversary (Other half's)

My Cars
    06 3.0 SI
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmercrazee View Post
    In the 03 there you can't open with the remote, HOWEVER! I did find that if you put the key in the door and turn the unlock position and then do it again and hold it, the top and the windows will go down! Makes getting in easier!
    FYI You can also close the top from the drivers door as well.
    ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmercrazee View Post
    I've yet to put my key in any of the physical places reserved for them. It's somewhat tempting to remove/bondo/paint, but I tell myself they key may go dead one day...
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.