Thread: ATF Fluid change on E34 540

My Cars
    1995 M3

Question ATF Fluid change on E34 540

Does anyone know what's up with this "Lifetime Transmission Fluid" on the e34 540? I looked at e34.net and couldn't find much.

Reason for asking is that I am about to do a maintenance II and was planning on changing the ATF but the Bentley's says the 540 doesn't need changing.

What should I really do?

Ryan Windley | Mech./Packaging Engineer | Frito-Lay R&D
    1995 ///M3 Coupe
    | Cosmos Black Metallic | Black
    Go: Dinan CAI | Chip | Fan Delete
    Stop: Euro Floating Rotors
    Susp: Blisteins | H&R OE Sports | GC RSMs | UUC TMEs | 96+ RTAB & GC Shims | X-Brace
    Misc: Understeer SSK | Clutch Stop | JTD Underpanel | ///M Oil Cap
    Exterior: Clears | Tint | RD Staggered RGRs
    Interior: Lighted Shift Knob | Armrest
    Sound: Clarion Head Unit | MB Quart | JL Audio Stealthboxes

My Cars
    1994 540I
    I too have a E34 - 540I, and was going to do my own fluid change. After realizing that it was not in my best interest to do it, I am glad that I paid the 200 bucks to have the dealer do the dirty work.

It's not impossible to do yourself, but it requires the proper tools....ie. level vehicle lift and a gravity fluid dispenser thing (not sure where to get, but the dealer had one). Without it you'll have a difficult time getting the very expensive (over 100 bucks per 5 liters) tranny fluid into the trannny. And the best part is, at least on my tranny, I was suppose to replace 5.5 liters of fluid. After it was all said and done the dealer used about 7 liters They had to give me a loaner vehicle while they search for more tranny fluid, ha, ha...

Also, the fluid is called 'lifetime' however the dealer recommended changing it every 100K miles. Since the tranny and converter hole over 13 liters, your really not replacing all of the fluid. So, I am not sure if it was worth the effort and expense.

I was told by the dealer when you put new fluid in the detergents in the fluid end up giving the inside a cleaning and sometimes brake particle loose that could clog thing and cause problems. I have an appointment this Friday to have the dealer explain the new sound coming from my tranny. I have a feeling the fluid cleaned something inside to the point that it introduced this squealing noise upon take off. Fortunately, the annoying sound usually goes away after she has been warmed up.

Anyway, hope that helps.
    1994 - 540I Auto w/ E.A.T. Performance Chip

Click for more pics
    If the tires aren't squealing in the turn, then your not driving fast enough!
    My other speed receptacle '01 GSXR 1000 - top speed 175 mph!!!
    Steve | Plant/Design Engineer | Cheetah Chassis Corporation

My Cars
    1994 540I
    Also, check out this previous thread on this same subject...

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...hreadid=109341

Click for more pics

My Cars
    1994 540I
    Just got back from the dealer...in-case you were wondering. They think the squealing noise is coming from higher than the tranny...suggested the speed-o cable. Since they were not able to hear the sound with the car on the lift, they said sorry we can't help you. Recommended leaving her over night so they can check it out in the morning when the sound is the loudest. I am only telling you this stuff in hope that someone reading this might have a better idea than the mechanics at the dealer.

The sound is hard to describe...fell like the idoits on the commercial...it's like a turbo or turbine sound that doesn't last very long, like a few seconds. It is loudest as the auto is about to shift. The noise goes away at speeds of approx. 50 and above. I thought the noise went away as she got warmed up, but it actually just gets harder to hear. In frustration, I was abusing the rubber on the ride home and low-and-behold that noise was still there...hummm... any ideas???

Click for more pics

My Cars
    97M3, 11S4, 111M, 17X1
    My experience with my 95 530iA, (530s are not lifetime fill) was that you risk causing problems with the tranny when the fluid is changed. I advise you make sure that whomever does the job is meticulously neat and clean. The smallest specs of dirt getting into the system can cause problems. The containers and hoses etc. used to fill the system must be spotless. In my case I did get some sort of check transmission warning light for a day or two after the BMW dealer changes the fluid, but it cleared up.
    Black Magic Variant

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks, looks like I'll just leave it alone. It's doing great anyway

Ryan Windley | Mech./Packaging Engineer | Frito-Lay R&D
    1995 ///M3 Coupe
    | Cosmos Black Metallic | Black
    Go: Dinan CAI | Chip | Fan Delete
    Stop: Euro Floating Rotors
    Susp: Blisteins | H&R OE Sports | GC RSMs | UUC TMEs | 96+ RTAB & GC Shims | X-Brace
    Misc: Understeer SSK | Clutch Stop | JTD Underpanel | ///M Oil Cap
    Exterior: Clears | Tint | RD Staggered RGRs
    Interior: Lighted Shift Knob | Armrest
    Sound: Clarion Head Unit | MB Quart | JL Audio Stealthboxes