Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brain melting. M Coupe vs. M Roadster...

My Cars
    '07 M Z4 Roadster
    Yeah I'm a roadster guy too.

However, if you don't have a garage that's a drawback in my book. I was just at the stealer's who happened to have a few regular Z4's in the showroom. They weren't the newest anymore, but on these 04-05 cars I could see so clearly that they'd been street-parked. The tops just looked awful. You'd be replacing that pretty soon (or look really ragged), and it's not cheap. I know a Z3 top costs 3000 euro at the dealer, cloth only.

And also theft, as was said before. You can get/retrofit a factory alarm though, which does have motion detection for the cabin.

My Cars
    2006-M4 Rodie
    magic robots:

I was there later last year - I did get the Roadster but really wanted the Coupe. But to me the most important is the M......

99C2
    2006 Z4M Rodie - Newest Ride!
    1999 C2 CAB - Gone
    2005 S2000 - Gone

My Cars
    '06 Z4M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeorgeiv View Post
    the hardtops are reinforced so they will increase body stiffness too.
    They're not re-enforced in an engineer's sense of the word. They're simply a shell with some heavy duty glue holding the mounting pieces. There's no load bearing re-enforcement in the shell.

It is true that the presence of the hardtop, and the way that it mounts to the car, stiffens the car's structure slightly. But if you roll over, its not going to hold the weight of the car. That's why the roll bars are still there.

I know this because I disassembled mine last fall to have it painted.

DreamingWell.com Web Services

My Cars
    Z4MR

My most compelling argument:

'06 Z4M, Triple Black, 3.91s, KWV3s, Mason Engineering, Remus, CDV, ZIP 90034. Z4M Flikr Gallery

My Cars
    Z4 ///M roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rcleme05 View Post
    WIN!!! Gorgeous!

My Cars
    540i, Z4M, '02tii, 328i
    And here's my argument for the same: Skyline Drive with the top down
    Attached Images Attached Images

Freude am Fahren

My Cars
    10 E63 AMG, 11 335is
    I own and love a roadster.

The coupe is absolutely beautiful, period, it's really a special car.

I can enjoy my roadster pretty much all 365 days a year here in SW Florida.

The coupe is unique, gorgeous and maybe even soul-touching.

Today, I had a god-awful frustrating day at the office. When I left @ 4:00, I put my top down, put on a Jimmy Buffet CD and was in a great mood (with my usual roadster motivated smile) by the time I got home. My beloved always appreciates that. There is a definitive theraputic value here, beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Go with your gut and your climate....... there's no losers in this choice!

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0 now E 93
    Quote Originally Posted by rcleme05 View Post
    FTW!! The coup was an afterthought for folks with Rosacea!

My Cars
    Z4, XJC Jag, Rover75
    How can anyone go past the roadster? The wind in your hair in summer (for those of us who still have hair) and the warmth and comfort of a perfectly sealed cacoon in winter! This is one of a few purpose built convertibles in the world and what a great looking machine it is, a modern day Cobra in my mind (which had to be one of the most classic looking muscle car convertibles ever produced). The Z4 coupe was basically an after thought, not a bad effort, but still an after thought in grafting a top onto a purpose built convertible.
    Sort of like the the 350Z or Porsche 928 (designed and built as coupes but some bright spark decided to transform them into convertibles) What a total botch up!

As far as body flex is concerned. I don't know what you guys are talking about, this would have to be one of the stiffest convertible on the market. Try driving any typical British convertible Jaguar, MG or Yank Tank (Stingray) for that matter, and then lets talk about body flex.

Z4 Roadster Rocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '16 Golf R
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzz4 View Post
    Sort of like the the 350Z or Porsche 928 (designed and built as coupes but some bright spark decided to transform them into convertibles) What a total botch up!
    So, you're comparing the Coupe to a pair of "botch" jobs?? Seriously?? Dude, put down the crack pipe. The Coupe may have been an "afterthought", but the result does NOT resemble a "total botch up" in any way, shape or form, and I doubt you'd find anyone on the planet who would agree with that assessment.

My Cars
    Z4 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    So, you're comparing the Coupe to a pair of "botch" jobs?? Seriously?? Dude, put down the crack pipe. The Coupe may have been an "afterthought", but the result does NOT resemble a "total botch up" in any way, shape or form, and I doubt you'd find anyone on the planet who would agree with that assessment.
    Maybe not, but the fact that the coupe weighs more than the roadster (where with almost all roadsters derived from coupes the reverse is true) really does bring home he fact that Z4 roadster was the original design and the the coupe might well have been a better car if designed from scratch.

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '16 Golf R
    Quote Originally Posted by vachss View Post
    Maybe not, but the fact that the coupe weighs more than the roadster (where with almost all roadsters derived from coupes the reverse is true) really does bring home he fact that Z4 roadster was the original design and the the coupe might well have been a better car if designed from scratch.
    That's one way to look at it. But the Coupe benefits from the extra rigidity (with the resulting extra weight being a slight negative side effect) that's present in the design due to the fact it was conceived as a convertible first. For me, the resulting outstanding chassis rigidity is worth the slight weight penalty. And the extra weight seems less significant as the years slip by, and cars continue to get porkier and porkier. Take the E89 for example (please).

I think we should all just agree that both are outstanding cars, each with some of their own individual merits. There's no wrong choice here.

My Cars
    Z4, XJC Jag, Rover75
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    .........merits. There's no wrong choice here.
    Certainly no wrong at all, as it all comes down to what each indivifual wants from a car. But this and all other forums effectively canvas individuals personal opinions (some of which may be based on fact). The answer to the question here is mostly subjective as both versions a very good in their own right. But as indicated, for me the coupe is an after thought and just doesn't tick all the boxes, in so far as what I was after when I was looking for a car.

Granted, however the coupe is a far cry from the previous models botched attempt at making a coupe out of the Z3! I'll look forward to seeing the Z5!

????
    Last edited by zzzz4; 02-25-2010 at 01:27 AM.

My Cars
    '07 M Z4 Roadster
    Wow, well I sure hope it will be nothing like that hideous thing on that picture!

The Z4 coupe is a pretty sleek design IMO, hardly an afterthought, even if that would be technically true. The Z3 coupe design never did it for me either, but it has a strong cult following.

To me though, the justification of not having rear seats is best justified by the presence of the beautiful roadster ragtop.

My Cars
    Many
    Coupe' vs. Roadster

As several persons have already stated, it really is up to your personal preference. You can't go wrong with either one. It's all in what you want.

We have had our 03 Roadster since Oct 07. It had 40K miles on it when we bought it and now it has 66K miles. It has always given my wife and I huge enjoyment. It does have an occasional squeak but for the most part it is rock solid. The drives we take with the top down are just so relaxing.
    On the warmer days, I would drive it every day to work. It's a great daily driver unless you need to transport more than one person.

I now have a 08 M Coupe'.

The Coupe' just feels tighter and more solid. The Coupe does not relax me as much as it thrills me. Every time I get in it and take off.

Still have the Roaster. I guess it's the best of both worlds..
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    2007 328i
    Umm, there's no Porche 928 convertible, though there have been some aftermarket hack jobs.
    You had your entire life to prepare for today.

My Cars
    '04 Z4 3.0i roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny34102 View Post
    I own and love a roadster.

The coupe is absolutely beautiful, period, it's really a special car.

I can enjoy my roadster pretty much all 365 days a year here in SW Florida.

The coupe is unique, gorgeous and maybe even soul-touching.

Today, I had a god-awful frustrating day at the office. When I left @ 4:00, I put my top down, put on a Jimmy Buffet CD and was in a great mood (with my usual roadster motivated smile) by the time I got home. My beloved always appreciates that. There is a definitive theraputic value here, beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Go with your gut and your climate....... there's no losers in this choice!
    Right on- top-down 6-speed therapy always ends well!

My Cars
    Z4, XJC Jag, Rover75
    Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Umm, there's no Porche 928 convertible, though there have been some aftermarket hack jobs.

After Market???

My Cars
    '04 Z4 3.0i roadster
    After Market???

That's about as aftermarket as they get!

My Cars
    2008 Z4 Roadster (2.0i)

OMG.... The Clarity!!!

I am at this very juncture, though leaning more towards my 3rd Roadster the Z4M.

No matter how Miserable the day or week has been, a ride in the roadster immediately improves my mood. I was just getting a bit conflicted with the Z4M Roadster vs Coupe arguments but now I know that I would love to LOOK at the Coupe, I have only ever seen a few, but would love to DRIVE the Roadster and actually hear the back box and feel the wind even though I am in the UK! :-)

I'm keeping the removable hardtop I bought for my current 2.0i anyway for stripping and matching to the 'new' Z4M.

So, its the 2006 Z4M Roadster low mileage in Imola Red this weekend!!!

Thanks for the perspective!

My Cars
    Many
    You do understand that the last post in this thread was in 2010, eight years ago???
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4Fool View Post
    I am at this very juncture, though leaning more towards my 3rd Roadster the Z4M. No matter how Miserable the day or week has been, a ride in the roadster immediately improves my mood. I was just getting a bit conflicted with the Z4M Roadster vs Coupe arguments but now I know that I would love to LOOK at the Coupe, I have only ever seen a few, but would love to DRIVE the Roadster and actually hear the back box and feel the wind even though I am in the UK! :-) I'm keeping the removable hardtop I bought for my current 2.0i anyway for stripping and matching to the 'new' Z4M. So, its the 2006 Z4M Roadster low mileage in Imola Red this weekend!!! Thanks for the perspective!
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    2008 Z4
    Ooops lol

My Cars
    2008 Z4 Roadster (2.0i)

Yes, I know..... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
    You do understand that the last post in this thread was in 2010, eight years ago???
    Yes, keeping the convo alive.

Yes it was in 2010 but I found it helpful when looking for advice in 2018 :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12