Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brain melting. M Coupe vs. M Roadster...

My Cars
    '71 Mini SiR

Brain melting. M Coupe vs. M Roadster...

I was set on wanting an M roadster. I knew that was what I wanted. I've always wanted a convertible, and it's perfect.

But now I'm confused. I was in Mystic, CT this past weekend and I saw an M Coupe drive by. Black. Beautiful. Absolutely stunning. Possibly the most beautiful car on the road.

Living in Boston, how often will I be able to enjoy the top down? And if I want to track or hillclimb the car (which I know I will), the coupe will not require modification or looking for new clubs ( my current clubs require a rollbar ). But I know that I'll only track it or hillclimb it like 2 or 3 times a year.

So my dilemma is this:

looks
    high performance event ease
    warmth in the winter / not worrying about leaking on rainy days

vs.

the feeling of the top down.

Looks like the pro coupe list is longer, but the feeling of the top down thing is not something that is quantifiable, and it's such a huge draw.

Dammit.

My Cars
    '03 Z4 3.0i
    convertible + removable hardtop for track days/winter? the hardtops are reinforced so they will increase body stiffness too.

as far as warmth and leaking, my soft top doesn't leak, and my car gets pretty toasty in the winter.
    E85 3.0l
    Stratus grey/black
    manual
    premium/convenience package

My Cars
    Z4 ///M roadster
    This question is probably impossible to answer, just because everyone has a different opinion of their ideal car.

For me, there was no choice really. I'm never going to track my roadster, it's strictly a street car. I'm an outdoors sort of person, and I have the top down everytime I drive as long as the temp is above 50 degrees and it's not raining (hell, I even have it down sometimes when it's sprinkling). ;P

Unlike many verts that feel kind of loose, the Z4M is fantastic. It's just as rigid as an E46 M3, and I don't get the feeling of the skittish front end over bumps like the Z3M. While it's not as fast as a Coupe on the track, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the roadster is a bit quicker in a straight line due to its reduced weight (don't shoot me if incorrect, I think I just read it somewhere).

I think the Coupe would be your choice if you want to track your car, dodge orange cones in a K-Mart parking lot, or not mess up your hair. Honestly, unless you track the thing, I think you'd be hard pressed to find the limits of either of these cars on the street.

Also, I must disagree on the looks. I'd agree with you that the Z3M coupe (clownshoe), looks better than the Z3M roadster, but I feel much of the charm got lost in the Z4 upgrade.

As for the top leaking, I've never had this happen. I've even taken the car through a car wash a time or two in a pinch (yes, I'm bad), and the water has never seeped through. There are also no rattles, and BMW has done a great job deadening the noise with this vert.

Nearly all of what I have said is personal opinion, and you'll have to make up your own mind. I will tell you however that if the car will be primarily a street car, you cannot go wrong with the roadster. If you buy the coupe, you'll be absolutely kicking yourself on a sunny 80 degree day. ;P
    Last edited by NickC; 04-20-2009 at 11:39 AM.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    Personally, I feel the Roadster, top down, is the best looker. Top up, not as much.

I DO autocross a lot, and WOULD track the car, but can't.

My wife loves parading around town and having lunch together by the lake in the car, top down.

I will get a hard top next time, probably keep this as a leisure car.

I would caution you... the hard top roadsters, from what I have heard, are not considered hard tops for track work.

In my opinion, you sound like a coupe guy. Just buy it.
    FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware

My Cars
    '71 Mini SiR
    Thanks for the responses, guys.
    Don't worry, I wasn't expecting one of you to shine some holy light on the subject and immediately I would know exactly what I wanted to get. I just kinda needed to vent about my internal struggle, and figured it could be an interesting conversation.

I think regardless of which one I get I'll have a pang of yearning whenever I saw the other.

I think I'm still leaning towards the roadster though, and here's why. When I see the coupe, I think it's gorgeous. And I want to look at it. And despite the fact that the coupe is the better handling car, when I see the roadster, I want to DRIVE it. I don't know if that makes sense to you or not. But to me, and actually writing this down here, right now, has really helped solidify my opinion, but that is the biggest factor.

I think I want the roadster.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    My roadster sprung a leak on me twice ... but that was because of the hot Florida days drying out the window seals. Some vasoline on the window seals fixed the problem easily.

It just sucks cause it always sprung a leak when I had someone in the car and I had to listen to the ... wow, you have a $60k car that leaks.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '07 Z4 3.0si
    You think you have dilemmas? A few months ago we bought our Z4 roadster. Absolutely love the car, but the wife doesn't want me to drive it like I like to, doesn't want to drive it too often, wants to save it for pretty days only, not put too many miles on it as she doesn't want to drive the wheels off the expensive car ... Nuts!

Now, I was looking at older Z3's and can get some with reasonable mileage for under $10k. She has told me if I want one of those, I can go get it and then drive it to death because it's not that expensive to begin with. I even found a few Z3 M roadsters for under $15k!

Decisions, decisions!

As to the OP, I think the coupe is likely the sexiest looking car on the road, but I can't see buying a two seater that can't drop the top. But then again, I have a wife that loves the convertible too, and wants the top down as often as possible, so the roadster/coupe issue for me is a no-brainer!

Call me a heretic if ya want, but the Z3R just doesn't do it for me.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    I live in an area that gets 4+ feet of rain a year, I don't have a garage, and I've never had a leak. Also as far as noise goes, it's a sports car. I would expect noise in the coupe version as well, you're not buying a Buick. I've taken many people who expected it to be noisy on rides with the top down and we haven't had any problems talking.

First time I saw a coupe I thought it was a nice looking car as well. But when the time came to start looking for the car, I was always after the vert.

As for tracking it, I wouldn't track either without safety mods, so, that would be a moot point for me.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    Z4MC, p-car projects
    I am not a fan of many soft tops out there... Z4 included. The next gen looks better since it's a hard top convertible. But overall, I would take a coupe anything (M3, M coupe) all day long. Plus, it's more rigid I suppose. And I like the coupe's roof line 100x more than the verts.

That's not to say the vert is anything to scoff at. They are beautiful in there own right.
    Last edited by mbimmoor; 04-20-2009 at 07:48 PM.

My Cars
    Z4///M, G35c 6MT
    If rattles and squeaks are something that would bother you a lot, go with the coupe. I've had 3 Z4's and every one of them rattled like hell. I'm done with verts.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorgeiv View Post
    convertible + removable hardtop for track days/winter? the hardtops are reinforced so they will increase body stiffness too.
    I had a hardtop on my Z4M. The hardtop adds almost nothing to the chassis stiffness. Going over bumps or entering driveways at an angle the hardtop is the first thing that squeaks. The connecting points are simply weak. For tracks that don't allow convertibles, they won't allow a removable hardtop either.

Guess what's the first thing that flies off of the car when the car's rolled over? And then you risk being hit in the head by the hardtop bouncing back up, etc.
    Last edited by GP20; 04-21-2009 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    '06 BMW Z4///M 19" BBS RGR's|TCK DA coilovers 400F/500R|Eisenmann Sport|Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's|M side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
    '05 G35 coupe 6MT
    '04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
    '03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

My Cars
    Z4 3.0 si
    Living just south of Boston, I had the same concerns about useability of a convertible. Don't worry about it. Anything above 45 degrees and I drop the top, no complaints, which means much of the year. January and February are usually out, but any warm winter day, down comes the top and I enjoy it all the more.

Had the coupe vs. roadster dilemma myself. The Coupe is gorgeous, but one test drive with the top down convinced me. Are there a few rattles? Yes. But so what? They are minimal, and i don't for a moment regret my own choice.

Rarity factor is a consideration, tho. I've yet to see a Z4Coupe anywhere except on a dealer's lot, while the Roadsters are more common. Also have had other Z owners mention that the interior of the Coupe is somewhat cramped. Top up, the Roadster isn't exactly spacious either, but that particular problem is solved with the push of a button.

The Coupe also is somewhat safer as far as potential break-ins. Depends on where you'll be parking, but also might be a factor.

Anyway, the choice is yours, but don't let the local weather worry you. You'll get plenty of top-down time in the Roadster.

My Cars
    99MC, 06MR, 85M6, 97M3
    I already have a Z3M Coupe and I wanted to buy a Z4M Coupe as a new daily driver. You've all heard my story, I came across a really cheap Z4M Roadster while on business in LV. At first I was just thinking, too bad it isn't a coupe. But then I took it for a drive. I can honestly say with the top up at speed it is quieter than my Z3 M Coupe and much more composed.
    I do think the coupe looks better and I would like some more cargo capacity at times, but last night I worked late and driving home alone on the road at midnight with the top down, a bit of chill in the air.... the S54 soundtrack playing loudly...Roadster baby!

While many organizations don't allow Roadsters I know the BMW CCA Auto-x and the SCCA Auto-x both allow them.
    99 M Coupe
    06 Z4M Roadster (1 of 1)
    85 M635CSi (Euro)
    97 M3 Coupe (Track)
    95 M3 Coupe
    91 850i 6MT
    11 E93 M3
    16 X5 35x
    16 Chevy Tahoe 4WD

My Cars
    Z4 M, X3 35i, 550i
    when i rolled upto the dealer, i knew i wanted a coupe, looks more aggressive/masculine. roadster is great but i only like it in the m version. i used to have a sunroof in my previous cars and i don't even miss that.

in general not a fan of the soft top.

My Cars
    2007 M Coupe, 2012 X5M
    I track my car so the M coupe is the only option between the two.

My Cars
    73-07 911s Z4M 335Ci

A roadster can't be a track car?

I will have to check the rules here in Germany, but is it true you cannot track
    the Z4M in the states ? The roll protection?

As far as the coupe versus roadster thing, Top down is well.... fun to some and top sealed up is more important to others.

I just purchased a Z4M Roadster because of its value and fun factor. I drove both at the Hockenheimring when it was a bit cold but not wet , the Z4M coupe was a bit on noisy side, very stiff, I was on Pilots which were easy to predict. In the coupe it was easy to determine the point where understeer took over, the roadster not so much so. both had braces and harnesses, as well as similar alignment setups.

Both cars were excellent, but each one is different, You may get a bit more out of the coupe if you were running coil-overs, slicks and modified cambers, However the roadster is a true top down Monster, you lose little if any in street or slightly modified form.

Sports cars flex, Morgan has been doing a great job with a wood frame for 100 years, Caterhams are incredible F/R Roadsters and look at times people get out of spec Miatas.

If they won't let me track the roadster some places I will live, a hard top and the hoops will be a good argument

If you can't have both buy the roadster if you like top down and coupe if you don't time to catch my plane

and the M Roadster is a very good front engine, rear wheel drive car, Its not as quick until you push it hard

My Cars
    '04 Z4 3.0i roadster
    I live in Chicago, and I have no problem with my roadster in winter, and which is my DD. I've never had any leaking problems (my last car, a Z3 roadster, would leak like a sieve, even after numerous fixes-always embarrassing to get out of that car with a big wet spot on my left leg!). The Z4 gets nice and toasty, especially with the heated seats- here's an important bit of advice- get the heated seats- they will let you keep the top down (which you will do more and more) on cold days. I put the top down whenever I can, and if the sun is out, I'll put it down in 40 degree-weather! Nothing like fresh air! One of the earlier posters was right- if you get the coupe, you'll regret it the minute the first nice day arrives! There is just something so elemental to the spirit of a sports car when the top goes down-like being in an old MG out on an English road. . .
    As far as sound being an issue- the sound I hear with the top down is the engine and the sweet exhaust note- another reason my top goes down every chance it can.
    The coupe is beautiful. There is a black Z4M coupe in my town, and it always turns my head! But, it would be my second car, after the roadster!
    Last edited by George K; 01-25-2010 at 04:57 PM.

My Cars
    BMW Z4, Porsche 944
    Roadster.... if you dont mind all your friends saying you have a chicks car lol

i wish i would have got the coupe but the more i think about it.... summers are a BLAST in the roadster!!

get the roadster!

My Cars
    07 Z4MC, 95 M3 tracktoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmund48 View Post
    I will have to check the rules here in Germany, but is it true you cannot track
    the Z4M in the states ? The roll protection?
    The BMWCCA track schools won't let you run the roadster without a full roll cage and harnesses. Most other groups, including the Porsche clubs generally do allow cars with factory roll hoops, like the Z4 and Boxster, to run. It's up to the individual organization. Most people who are serious about tracking their car go for the coupe for the obvious reason of roll protection as well as its very high chassis stiffness makes it such a good track car out of the box. The more casual drivers who prefer the top down roadster and like to track it occasionally just go with one of the commercial trackday outfits that allows them.

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Track or hill climb 2-3 times a year? For maybe 5-6 days out of 365 you would give up the convertible? 5% of the year?

Here's what you should do. Buy the Roadster. Then save up and buy an E36 M3. Track that. Done.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    Man - Coupe
    Woman - Roadster

You are a man so buy the MC and be done with it.

I'm just messin with you guys.
    Dan Parker

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    the coupe is so purrrrty Seriously, people always tell me how much more they like the coupe over the roadster.

You're right that its so hard to quantify the top down experience. I had a Z3 roadster for 6 years and didn't know how much I'd miss it. Turns out, not too much (although I do sometimes).

I was going to suggest the M Coupe and a Miata (lol), but Hack had the better suggestion. Probably get the M Roady and a cheap track car with full safety equipment if you're going to do it regularly. Honestly, if it were me and I could only support one car, I'd do the Coupe. But if track stuff isn't that important to you....
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    German
    roadster.

My Cars
    MCoupe
    There is just something unique about a coupe.

My Cars
    2006 ///M Roadster

How Tall?

This is not an issue for most but I am 6'4" + and fit just fine in my M roadster with the top up. I could not get into the coupe without my head touching the roof liner. I suggest you try both to judge the room and feel.

My Cars
    s52 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BButtMZ3 View Post
    There is just something unique about a coupe.

coupe it up!
    If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast