Thread: Anyone used BMW Genuine Touchup Paint?

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0si

Anyone used BMW Genuine Touchup Paint?

Anyone ever used this, in any color? [ame]http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-Sapphire-Metallic-Touch-up/dp/B001MAQC3Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1240156168&sr= 1-3[/ame]

I'm sure it's a good product since it's the genuine BMW paint in your exact color. Any advice or tips on using it?

My Cars
    AT-AT
    A good combo with OEM touch up paint is a product called Lanka.
    The search box is awesome..try it!

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0si
    It took me a minute to find what you were talking about, it's called langka chip repair kit. I found it on amazon, but the reviews for it are horrible. As a side note, why does it seem like all the NBA playoff games are blowouts this year? I hope anyone but the Spurs win it even though I live in their dreaded city.

My Cars
    AT-AT
    Ok, well, it's just a suggestion. My friends & I have had great results with Lanka.
    The search box is awesome..try it!

My Cars
    10 E63 AMG, 11 335is
    For what it's worth, I've always had very good results with the AutoPen product from AutoVisuals. I find it very easy to use and have never been let down by them.

Here's the url from "my favorites", all you have to do is type in your car, model and color and they send you their custom made felt tipped pen type product that's worked out well for me.

https://www.autovisuals.com

My Cars
    Z4 3.0 si
    i've used the proprietary BMW paint on two different cars: gray-green and silver-gray. Both were metallic colors, so allowance has to be made for the flakes in the mix, but neither really matched the paint color on the cars correctly. The gray-green was too green, and the silver-gray is too silver. Good news--the clear coat DOES match.

I found all of them difficult to apply without either getting blobs (and I've used Langka, too, which wasn't much better) or smearing. However, they did fill in the stone chips adequately, even tho the paint isn't a very good match.

My Cars
    '07 M Roadster
    I never use the brush that comes with the bottle but instead use a fine (000) tipped brush to build it up.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Treepusher View Post
    i've used the proprietary BMW paint on two different cars: gray-green and silver-gray. Both were metallic colors, so allowance has to be made for the flakes in the mix, but neither really matched the paint color on the cars correctly. The gray-green was too green, and the silver-gray is too silver. Good news--the clear coat DOES match.

I found all of them difficult to apply without either getting blobs (and I've used Langka, too, which wasn't much better) or smearing. However, they did fill in the stone chips adequately, even tho the paint isn't a very good match.
    Not to say that you didn't, but shaking the paint for a minute or two after the little ball breaks loose can go a long ay toward allowing the colors to match better. My metallic silver was too grey on first application, but after shaking it for (no exaggeration) 5 minutes, the color matched perfectly on the second application.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuzax View Post
    I never use the brush that comes with the bottle but instead use a fine (000) tipped brush to build it up.
    I'd recommend getting a tiny brush for anything but large rock chips where you want to lay down a bunch of paint to fill the crater.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    Many
    Dr Color Chip is the best I have used for roadrash on the front end.

You proposely blob the paint and use thier solvent to remove the overburden of paint...

http://www.drcolorchip.com/
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    The problem with touch up paint, especially with metalic, is that when you touch up, you put on more than would normally go there. With metalic, this makes the flake closer together, and it is difficult to hide the fact that you touched up.

There is a way to do it right to min. the look of touch up. First, make sure the area is clean and lightly sand it first with a fine grit sand paper. THen don't use the brush. Depending on the type of chip use a toothpick or the cardboard end of a match stick. Let it dry then sand again with 1000 grit sand paper. A good technique is to cut a small circle out of it and glue it to a pencil eraser and use that. Then go over it with a finer grit sanding block in the opposite direction.

Then buff.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    Coupes...
    So on the non-metalic Schwartz II it should work wonders?

My Cars
    08 135i
    I have used the factory paint on my Alpine White car and it matched extremely well. I do use the Girots Garage paint touch up applicators and they seem to work well. Much easier to use than the brush in the bottle and definitely puts on a smaller amount of paint.

My Cars
    2007 750i BMW; 2003 Z4 3.0 BMW; 2002 Lexus LS430;
    I've used the Toledo Blue touch-up paint on another BMW with very good success. The key for me was to "blob" the paint on and then remove the excess with a stiff card (credit card edge). Before the paint dried and cured, I used a paint remover to get the excess paint that was scrapped off. I then used the Clear coat that comes with the BMW kit the same way. After It had cured for about a day, I used a very mild polish followed by waxing and the sopt was nearly invisible.

My Cars
    '07 335i, '06 Z4M, '03M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
    Dr Color Chip is the best I have used for roadrash on the front end.

You proposely blob the paint and use thier solvent to remove the overburden of paint...

I have used the DRColour Chip on both cars for the front end chips. It seems to work better than any thing else I've ever tried. It's not perfect but if one follows their instructions it does do a good job.
    2006 Z4M Coupe: Epic Software, CDV delete, Dinan Strut Brace, TCKline Coilovers, Hawk DTC 60's, Alcon BBK, RPI Scoop, Remus Exhaust, AC Schnitzer rear wing
    2007 335i: Dinan stage 3 software, Dinan stage 2 suspension, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Oil cooler, Dinan Intercooler, UUC SSK and DSSR, K&N filter, BMW performance strut brace, BMW performance rear spoiler, BBS wheels, Super Sport Tyres, CDV delete, Dinan Cold Air Intake
    2003 M3 coilovers so far.....

It is seldom difficult to distinguish between a ray of sunshine and a Scotsman with a grievence. PG Woodhouse
    You're here for a good time not for a long time. Colin McRae
    It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near one. JRR Tolkien

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328iT wagon
    i've never had luck w/ touchup pens for chips or scratches. Unless they're super deep knicks the paint just dries up like clay or nail polish. Use the brushed kind of touchup and wipe it over with a credit card when you're done, followed of course by clearcoat. Langka do make quality paint products, tho

My Cars
    Z4MC, p-car projects
    metallic paint is nearly impossible to fully match with just a touch up paint. I mean the color may match, but the metallic of the original paint is sprayed.... whereas touch up is pretty much a blob / concentration of applied painted - LOL.

But for small chips its probably not noticeable.

I had a few silver grey metallic bottles mixed up when I had my reflectors painted. Something to thing about if you are going to do this anyway...

Last edited by mbimmoor; 06-01-2010 at 09:34 PM.

My Cars
    Z4
    I've used BMW's touch up paint (grey) on my previous car (525) and it worked very well. You just need to really shake it and apply very carefully (I used an artist brush). Even when you think you've shaken it enough, keep shaking.

I recommend testing the color on white paper before applying the paint to the car. With the grey paint, if it wasn't shaken enough it came out black.

My Cars
    2004, BMW Z4

Special ordered BMW Genuine touchup paint didnt match. :(

I have a Merlot colored Z4 which had some very minor chips from rocks and such that I wanted to try to cover. During my routine maintenance, my BMW dealer ordered a touchup kit to match my color. I paid close to $40 for the kit and it took about a month to get it special ordered.

To my disappointment, the color was no where close to the color of my car. I'm just thankful I tried it on the inside of my door where the belt buckle had gotten caught.

It could have been because of the Merlot color of my car that was difficult to match but I dont think I'll be trying to match it again. I'll be leaving it to the pros.

My Cars
    95 BMW 325is, 04 ZHP Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Treepusher View Post

Same experience on my 330ci. The paint didn't match up at all and it wasn't easy to use. I have heard great things about Dr. Color Chip. Haven't personally used but reviews are good.

Where Adventure and Adrenaline Begin!!

My Cars
    2016 BMW 2.20D
    Does anyone use this product? Have positive comments about the internet?

https://colorndrive.com/en/touch-up-...eries-2015,239