Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Suspension Overhaul FAQ

My Cars
    1989 325i
    Quick question: I have an early build 325is which shows different part numbers for almost everything up front. What makes the struts from an early build 325 different from a late build or 328? Also, shock mounts look different but can they be interchanged? Is there anything up front which CAN'T be interchanged between early build or not? Regards, Adam
    Last edited by shogun; 01-14-2016 at 08:51 PM.

'92 325is 5sp

My Cars
    2015 328I xDrive M Sport
    Im in the process of overhauling the rear of my 328i

Stuck on getting the two rear lower ball joints out. Popped the uppers out and pressed in new ones no problem at all. The lowers are caked right in there

Also, the bushings on the differential ears - seems impossible to remove.

And lastly are the inner wishbone bushings (those very narrow ones). How in the hell are those pressed out. again, seems next to impossible
    - Jeff

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw2nv View Post
    Im in the process of overhauling the rear of my 328i

Stuck on getting the two rear lower ball joints out. Popped the uppers out and pressed in new ones no problem at all. The lowers are caked right in there

Also, the bushings on the differential ears - seems impossible to remove.

And lastly are the inner wishbone bushings (those very narrow ones). How in the hell are those pressed out. again, seems next to impossible

here is my build with pics of how i got those bushings pressed out your having trouble with - also on the trailing arm IIRC they only go in and out one direction. hope it helps!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...build-100-pics

My Cars
    2015 328I xDrive M Sport
    I think they go in the one direction towards the front of the car and removed towards the rear

The differential ear bushings are being a pain! Going to drill through the rubber, remove the centre and just carefully cut into the bushing ring and pry it out.

Still those upper inner control arm bushings - stuck beyond anything. Thinking Ill have to burn them out. Then Im home free and can bolt it all back up. Finally.
    - Jeff

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    quick question, if i go with a true coilover set where the rear spring sits on the damper are there any modifications id have to make?

My Cars
    BMW M3
    I'm currently looking for The aft rear subframe bushings. The fronts have been found no problem. But I'm having problems finding OEM rear bushings. I keep coming up with the brand FEBI. Anyone try these? They're half the price of the OEM fronts.

PN: 33319059301

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyM3 View Post
    I'm currently looking for The aft rear subframe bushings. The fronts have been found no problem. But I'm having problems finding OEM rear bushings. I keep coming up with the brand FEBI. Anyone try these? They're half the price of the OEM fronts.

PN: 33319059301

febi = bilstein. they make good products and Imo your better off buying the febis and saving the little extra cash. or go poly!

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by E36BMWBUILD View Post
    febi = bilstein. they make good products and Imo your better off buying the febis and saving the little extra cash. or go poly!
    Thank you. I was originally going to go poly but decided against it after a little more research and assessing what I'll be using my vehicle for.

My Cars
    Searching...
    Yes, this is quite a large modification. It requires substantial reinforcing of the rear shock tower in the trunk. Kits are available, but generally cars who run these kits have been caged and the cage ties into the rear shock tower, the rear subframe mount points, and elsewhere throughout the car. I do not believe it wise to go this route unless you are very serious about the vehicle. The gains for street use are incredibly minimal compared to the cost in getting to the setup you want.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson
    Suspension Overhaul FAQ

My Cars
    1994 BMW e36 conv.
    Quote Originally Posted by zxfbzfg View Post
    My 95 has the original shocks under it. I am considering what to put on it. I don't plan on racing the car, but I do want something comfortable and handles the road well. I was considering the stage 2 kit from pelican, do any of you have it?
    I was Just in the same boat.. I went with a complete suspension overhaul over summer (tie-rods, Every Bushing, control, arms etc.)

I went with Bilstein Sport Shocks & Struts with H&R springs. Couldn't be happier with my decision. Can't go wrong with Sachs, though..

My Cars
    96 328i sedan
    Thanks to the OP for great info. From what I have read here and the symptoms my car ( 96 328i ) is displaying, I am guessing that I will have to change front tie rod ends, LCAB's and rear shock mounts. There is a shudder on the steering when braking and a clunking sound over small bumps in the rear. So Z3 reinforcement plates ( any Z3 ) and E46 RSM's and 96+ M3 LCAB's would make a significant upgrade over stock with affecting the ride too much? Would this be the best route upgrade wise? I want to sort out these two issues before considering lowering the suspension as it seems pretty low currently. How would I know if the vehicle is fitted with the sports or standard suspension? There is also a thud / clunk when changing into first gear or first to second gear. Just need some clarification regarding the fix for this.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    I have a 93 325is, and I believe there is something seriously wrong with the rear suspension:

There is a hard thump when shifting, especially when shifting under hard acceleration
    The car pulls left when accelerating
    There is a vibration at around 50-60 km and 130km/h

Any idea what causes these symptoms? I have removed and re-installed the three bolts mounting the diff to the subframe just to inspect, saw nothing worth noting and was very confused...

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Check you suspension bushings and especially you rtabs (rear trailing arm bushings).
    Last edited by shogun; 01-14-2016 at 09:07 PM.

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    Sooo You guys were mentioning its important to reinforce those mounting spots... Here's why! Pic1 Pic2

So how would I go about fixing that? drop the whole subframe?

I'm also wondering what else may be wrong, as I noticed the thumping getting worse (hypothesizing that to be when the metal gave away), and I guess this explains the pull to the left too... But I think things were still allowing play before the metal tore.

However, do the forward subframe bushings look bad too?: Pic1 Pic2

#16 on the diagram correct?

Here's one of the rear subfram bushing:

I'm also not sure about the rear differential bushings (#14):

My Cars
    1999 323is bmw
    I need some info please. I got a 99 323si off a guy who told me his friend converted the shocks and struts from an m3. The control arms now need replacing, do I get the arms for the 99 3 series e36 or can I get some m series control arms to fit?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shogun; 01-14-2016 at 09:03 PM.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Dito707 View Post
    I need some info please. I got a 99 323si off a guy who told me his friend converted the shocks and struts from an m3. The control arms now need replacing, do I get the arms for the 99 3 series e36 or can I get some m series control arms to fit? I'm new
    You need to check where the end link to the sway bar is mounted to. If they are mounted to the shock, then yes you have m3 shocks/struts. If the end link is mounted to the control arm, then you do NOT have m3 shocks and will need non m control arms..

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    You need to check where the end link to the sway bar is mounted to. If they are mounted to the shock, then yes you have m3 shocks/struts. If the end link is mounted to the control arm, then you do NOT have m3 shocks and will need non m control arms..
    My 92 came with the sway link mounted to the shock from factory

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    dude who put your car together on the assembly line must've been drunk ....but what I said is a good general rule of thumb
    All pre 6/92s came with that set up. Dude.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantisvip View Post
    All pre 6/92s came with that set up. Dude.
    Sarcasm, but I don't doubt it. Last I checked the 323is was made from 96 to 99. This guy has a 99 so his end links should be mounted to the control arms from the factory....

My Cars
    E30 & E46
    Hi all. Old timer here. NIce E36s. Prior owner of two E36 M3s myself. I've created a blog for E46 platform which very closely follows the E36 platform:

http://e46cooling.blogspot.com/2015/...es-1999_9.html

If you guys want to use FCPEuro.com, you can use code MangoFCP5 at checkout for an extra discount =)

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Hey guys, I have been saving for quite awhile and have a nice chunk of change to refresh my suspension with.
    I have a couple questions although this is the set up i will be going with:

E36 Tie rod assembly Non-adjustable (Turner):
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...embly/?pdk=BAM

Rear Adjustable Camber Arms (Turner):
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ttrack/?pdk=Aw

Adjustable Rear sway bar Endlinks (Turner):
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...nd-links-pair/

Adjustable front sway bar endlinks (Turner):
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...s-pair/?pdk=BA

Front/Rear Turner adjustable Sway Bars:
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...rade/?pdk=AQIB

Broadway Static 500s coilovers:
    http://www.broadwaystaticsuspension.com/500s.htm

My questions are:

1. Am i missing anything that would contribute to this overhaul?

2. I couldnt find front adjustable tie rods other than the absurdly priced GC ones, you guys recommend any?

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by Thrifty S50; 09-20-2016 at 11:46 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345