View Poll Results: Use anti seize when changing plugs?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 44.94%
  • No

49 55.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plug Antiseize Poll

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Saloon

Spark Plug Antiseize Poll

Some say use it, some say don't. I hear yes for ease of removal, and no for electrical conductivity. Let me know what you think.

My Cars
    '88 VW 16V GTI
    Last time I bought plugs they gave me a free little packet of antiseize. No problem with conductivity unless they're dripping with it.
    Last edited by Hoad; 04-13-2009 at 11:53 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3
    I have always liked doin the plugs with out any antiseize, where you know there is clean contact, and never had any problems.

Eventhough I would think a tiny smear could be beneficial , just to prevent any damage, assuming you dont tighten the crap outta them

but heres some info pulled from another site....
    -
    Here's what Autolite says about using anti-seize (snicked off the net somewhere):

We do not recommend the use of any anti seize products for installing spark plugs. Anti seize compounds are typically composed of metallic,
    electrically conductive ingredients. If anti seize compounds come in
    contact with the core nose of the plugs, it can lead to a misfire condition.
    Anti seize compounds can also have a torque multiplying effect when
    installing plugs. This can lead to thread distortion and thread galling
    resulting in cylinder head damage. Autolite spark plugs are nickel plated
    to resist the effects of corrosion and seizing. However, plug seizure is
    aggravated further when steel plugs are installed into aluminum cylinder
    heads for a long period of time.

Here's what AC/Delco says:

Do not use any type of anti-seize compound on spark plug threads. Doing this will decrease the amount of friction between the threads. The result of the lowered friction is that when the spark plug is torqued to the proper specification, the spark plug is turned too far into the cylinder head. This increases the likelihood of pulling or stripping the threads in the cylinder head. Over-tightening of a spark plug can cause stretching of the spark plug shell and could allow blowby to pass through the gasket seal between the shell and insulator. Over-tightening also results in extremely difficult removal.

--

heres the Pelican Parts explanation
    " Install each plug into the cylinder heads without using any anti-seize compound. Torque the spark plugs to 25 Nm (18.4 ft-lbs). While writing "How to Rebuild and Modify Porsche 911 Engines", I discovered that Porsche doesn’t recommend the use of anti-seize compound, as detailed in Porsche Technical Bulletin 9102, Group 2, identifier 2870. The bulletin applies retroactively to all Porsche models and the theory is that the anti-seize tends to act as an electrical insulator between the plug and the cylinder head. This could have detrimental effect on the firing of the spark due to the loss of a good, consistent ground connection. Keeping those findings in mind, I would make the same recommendations for the BMW cars."

looks like clean and dry is the way to go

My Cars
    99 Estoril Blue M3, and stuff...
    There is no need to use anti-seize on your plugs. If you don't overtighten them, they come out easily.

All the recommendations tell you not to use it, just like they all tell you how tight to tighten the plugs. Follow their lead & you can't go wrong.

Anti-seize is NOT used for proper torquing, not sure where that came from, but it causes you to over torque the plugs, even if you use a proper torque wrench.

Hey, it's your cylinder head.....
    Last edited by The Letter M; 04-11-2009 at 10:41 AM.

1999 Estoril Blue ///M3 with common mods to the car, and driver training mods to the driver. It's a safe, intelligent, and fun combination. Member of our local BMW Club Driver Training Team.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I never use AntiSeize, and the spark plug even with heavily coated threads is going to ground through the flange that crushes the washer anyways.

Some will use it, and that's fine. Just make sure you don't over tighten.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    '88 VW 16V GTI
    I don't think it is much of any difference to put antiseize on or not; not a big deal. I think the reason people advise against it is so they are not liable when some idiot literally dips their plugs in antiseize or over torques them. If they say don't do it, there's less chance of some idiot screwing it up. But like I said, it doesn't really matter. Who waits long enough between spark plug changes to have the seize in the head anyway? The spark is high voltage, low amps so it dosn't need a huge area for the plug to contact the head. The area where it seats, where the washer contacts the head, is probably plenty of area. I wouldn't put antiseize there, only a small bead size area of antiseize on the threads if you feel like it.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoad View Post
    Antiseize is used more for proper torquing than anything else.
    This is patently false. Antisieize makes it impossible to obtain proper torque.

Quote Originally Posted by The Letter M View Post
    There is no need to use anti-seize on your plugs. If you don't overtighten them, they come out easily.
    Yeah, I've never used anti sieze and never had any issue w/ getting the plugs out - ever.

In light of the absence of any need for it, and the way is skews the torqeu - why use it?
    Garrett

My Cars
    '95 M3 + 86.5T Supra
    If you use it, use the copper anti-seize. Copper is conductive.

My Cars
    '88 VW 16V GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
    This is patently false. Antisieize makes it impossible to obtain proper torque.
    Assembly lube is the one that gives you the proper torque right, or something?
    Aaaah. Did a tiny bit of research. If the manufacturer says to use antiseize, use it. Torque specs decrease when using thread lubricants because of less friction. So if you use antiseize when BMW doesn't say to, you should torque the plugs less. But if the specs are for use with thread lubricant, the torque between bolts will be more consistant becasue the amount of friction will be more equal between the bolts from using the lube. From what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong. Still not necessary on spark plugs though.
    Last edited by Hoad; 04-11-2009 at 03:35 PM.

My Cars
    Vehicle
    Used to, now I don't.

My Cars
    95 M3 63 Corvette
    Always use it. What drove the point home for me was a gf's VW Bug. Some pinhead mech she used to go to for service did not use it and wiped out the threads in the cylinder head for #3 plug. Of course, that is the hardest one to access. I discovered the spark plug would not seat. I had to pull the engine and pull the head. I found not only the spark plug hole without threads, the head was cracked and the #3 exhaust valve seat was ready to fall out. I have also seen spark plugs from older E30 M20 engines and BMWs with M30 engines come out with aluminum from the head stuck to the threads. Cheap insurance using anti-seize. A small can lasts a loooong time.
    BEX Performance Cylinder Head/3.5 MAF Sensor w/Eurosport Euro High Performance Cold Air Intake Kit/Riot Racing 4mm overbore Throttle Body/ Samco/ S&K Performance Custom Chip/Dr Vanos Stage II kit/ Remus cat back exhaust/Ground Control Coilover Kit, Camber/caster plate; adjustable Konis/Mason Engineering front strut tower and rear shock brace/TMS adjustable front sway bar links/DTM Short Shifter

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I've always used it, but I use a torquer to seat, so I never overtighten from what I had before.
    Easy to remove plugs.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    I voted yes, but it seems there should be another category..."It doesn't matter either way."

My Cars
    03 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
    heres the Pelican Parts explanation
    " Install each plug into the cylinder heads without using any anti-seize compound. Torque the spark plugs to 25 Nm (18.4 ft-lbs). While writing "How to Rebuild and Modify Porsche 911 Engines", I discovered that Porsche doesn’t recommend the use of anti-seize compound, as detailed in Porsche Technical Bulletin 9102, Group 2, identifier 2870. The bulletin applies retroactively to all Porsche models and the theory is that the anti-seize tends to act as an electrical insulator between the plug and the cylinder head. This could have detrimental effect on the firing of the spark due to the loss of a good, consistent ground connection. Keeping those findings in mind, I would make the same recommendations for the BMW cars."

looks like clean and dry is the way to go
    I read that as well the first time I replaced my plugs. Decided to skip the antiseize and torqued to spec. Have not had any problems..

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Saloon
    Well just changed them from IX series to BKRE6's went great with out any problems and I did not use any anti seize.

My Cars
    broke m3 running b5
    Pick up an inch-lbs wrench. Problem solved. I wished the previous owner of my car used one. I have a stripped stud bolt on my valve cover...

PITA requires extra sealant to reduce oil leakage.

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Using anything on the threads will give you inaccurate torque measurements. Torque them correctly, and you won't need antiseize. I voted no.

My Cars
    broke m3 running b5
    On one of my studs that bolts into the head and holds the valve cover on via cap nut, it screws in but then spins freely. I guess the PO did some kind of damage to the threads. Is there a way to fix this or am I better off using high temp locktite on the threads?

My Cars
    broke m3 running b5
    Quote Originally Posted by slompwr View Post
    On one of my studs that bolts into the head and holds the valve cover on via cap nut, it screws in but then spins freely. I guess the PO did some kind of damage to the threads. Is there a way to fix this or am I better off using high temp locktite on the threads?
    anyone?

My Cars
    99 M3
    I think the only thing I ever use anti-seize on is my solid brake caliper guide/pins, that's about it.

My Cars
    M3
    I use it in other vehicles, but not in a BMW. I'm pretty sure BMW recommends against using it, so I never have.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i

Post anti seize recommended by bmw

Quote Originally Posted by l VeNoM l View Post
    I use it in other vehicles, but not in a BMW. I'm pretty sure BMW recommends against using it, so I never have.
    For the 2001 E46 325i, BMW service manual specifically says use it.

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    Voted no, the change before last in the Z3 M44 I used some and had a harder time removing those plugs less than 6 months later. Had to work them back & forth a few times & turns until I felt comfy enough to wrench them all the way. I think i used it on wifeys ///M3 about a year & a half ago--- kinda dreading removing them. FW its W
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    1995 325i Convertible Boston Green
    Clerk at a local auto parts store told me to use it. I bought some, got home and found:

A bulletin from NGK
    http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-...1antisieze.pdf

and if "assembly paste" is the same as anti-seize, BMW, as of 2007, says no, at least for my car.

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se...odels/page_51/

My Cars
    I have always used copper anti seize but I grew up working on airplanes and Im just used to doing it. :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast