Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing ABS Pump - Bleeding

My Cars
    98 M3 GTS2

Installing ABS Pump - Bleeding

Im in the process of installing a new (used) ABS pump. When I go to fill and bleed the system for the first time, what is the best way to get as much air out of the system as possible the first time though - traditional two person method, power bleeder, car on, car off? Any other tips? Thanks.

My Cars
    E36 IS #565, SpecE46
    No, bridge this to turn the pump on and bleed the calipers at each corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cold Tires + Wall = Suck

My Cars
    87 325is, 97 528i, S40
    Install the pump and start bleeding as you normally would RR first. Have the person in the car push the pedal down as you release the bleeder. When it is closed have him bring up the pedal. Do this about 8x on each corner. ON the 8th time have him pump it up and do it that way. Take the car out and brake hard enough to have the pump go on. Do that a few times. Then go back and check each corner again. You will probably go through a large can and a half doing this.
    "I never realized how fast a slow car can be until I went to the track."
    *Eibach Springs 450/600
    *Custom 4 point cage
    *1993 Mazda RX-7 TT 4 piston calipers with floating rotors.
    *Turner chip
    *19# injectors
    *Miller MAF and 19# Chip
    *AEM dry flow filter with heatshield

1991 325is for sale (in parts)
    1988 BMW e28 M5 (Sold
    1997 BMW 528i
    2006 Volvo S40
    K&N Pannel Filter

My Cars
    98 M3 GTS2
    Quote Originally Posted by mcclaskz View Post
    I can do that without worrying about blowing anything? Is there any specific type of wire I should use? Also while bleeding at each corner I should keep the pump running the whole time? Thanks.

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    Yo vengeance I sent you a pm.

My Cars
    '95 IP M3 , '07 328xi wagon. '98 ML320 Tow Vehicle
    BMW shops have an electronic tool specifically for bleeding the ABS. I don't know whether using it is needed when doing an ABS unit install, but you might want to check. Apparently if you have air or moisture in the ABS system, a standard bleed isn't always enough. I was having recurrent fade issues despite repeated bleeds and flushes using both a power-bleeder and the old-fashioned guy-in-the-car technique. Problem went away when we used the BMW ABS activator while bleeding..

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    Quote Originally Posted by AMFTime View Post
    BMW shops have an electronic tool specifically for bleeding the ABS. I don't know whether using it is needed when doing an ABS unit install, but you might want to check. Apparently if you have air or moisture in the ABS system, a standard bleed isn't always enough. I was having recurrent fade issues despite repeated bleeds and flushes using both a power-bleeder and the old-fashioned guy-in-the-car technique. Problem went away when we used the BMW ABS activator while bleeding..
    is this something that you need to do when bleeding. I have had mystery brake pedal/fade issues for quite some time - driving me mad!!!
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    MINI JCW, Elise S1
    Quote Originally Posted by mcclaskz View Post
    nice picture, but where exactly is that relay?

thanks

My Cars
    Fuse box. Two ABS relays - left is for the module, right is for the pump.

My Cars
    M Coupe
    The ABS pump is probably what is called in "Intermittent Duty" motor. Which means that it shouldn't run very long as it will get hot.

I have no idea how long it can run before it burns up, but a good way to check to put your hand on it to see how hot it is. If it is hot to the touch, then you should probably let it rest of a bit. But then bleeding brakes shouldn't take but a few minutes anyway, even with the pedal pump method.
    - Ian
    2000 M Coupe, stripped and DE prepped

46mm wheel bearing socket for rent - $30 deposit + $10 fee. PM for details.

My Cars
    95 318i
    there seem to be some unanswered questions in this thread. I would like to know the best procedure for bleeding the system after replacing the abs pump.
    Jump the relay while doing each corner? the whole time? some other time?

Anyone have any thoughts to add?
    '95 318i - DASC Supercharged - 269° Camshafts - 30lb injectors - Ostrich 2.0 tuning - Coil On Plug conversion - 11lb flywheel 228mm clutch - AST 4100's,

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny318 View Post
    there seem to be some unanswered questions in this thread. I would like to know the best procedure for bleeding the system after replacing the abs pump.
    Jump the relay while doing each corner? the whole time? some other time?

Anyone have any thoughts to add?
    +1. As I am also getting ready to replace my ABS pump.

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    I didn't do anything special when I installed my ABS pump.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    97 M3
    I pressure bleed. Seems to push the air out of the ABS pump. Pressure bleeder is one of the best $50 I ever spent on my cars.

My Cars
    95 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
    I pressure bleed. Seems to push the air out of the ABS pump. Pressure bleeder is one of the best $50 I ever spent on my cars.
    you didnt do anything to turn the pump on, jump the relay, etc?
    '95 318i - DASC Supercharged - 269° Camshafts - 30lb injectors - Ostrich 2.0 tuning - Coil On Plug conversion - 11lb flywheel 228mm clutch - AST 4100's,

My Cars
    97 M3
    I'll go out and engage the ABS after the fact, that turns it on. It doesn't seem to need it though. I apply 10 PSI and go from wheel to wheel bleeding each one. I don't even really need to take the wheels off. Fit a wrench and hose on the nipple, loosen and the fluid just flows out. Since the pressure bleeder has a bottle of fluid in it, I don't really need to worry about running the master cylinder empty either.

Every car is different though. This worked for me. Normally, I make every effort not to let the system drain out but, when changing ABS units, you have no choice.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    I'm surprised 10psi was good enough. I usually have mine at 15-20psi.

Bleeding before and after driving might get all the air out of the ABS if it was changed, etc.

My Cars
    97 M3
    I'm afraid to go much over 10 because of the flimsy construction of the tank. Even at 10 it starts to bulge. Good to know I can go up to 20 though, thanks.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    ^Buldge? I will take a closer look next time I bleed my brakes. I think 20psi is the max for the system.

My Cars
    95 318i
    nice, link to 50 dollar pressure bleeder please ?

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny318 View Post
    nice, link to 50 dollar pressure bleeder please ?
    http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/t...re-bleed/#1756

I installed a valve stem on mine so I can use an air chuck to pressurize it.

Works great. Keep pressure under 25 PSI unless you want to risk popping the fluid reservoir off.
    Dan Chadwick
    Boston Chapter BMW CCA Instructor Development.
    Near-Orbital Space Monkeys, E30 M50-ish
    Driving Evals on-line evaluations for Driving Schools. Paper forms are just wrong.

My Cars
    95 318i
    was installing the valve stem hard ?

My Cars
    97 M3
    It's 5-10 pumps to get it up to pressure. So, my point is, why bother.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Valve stem install was pretty easy. I got a stem with a rubber seal that threads in from the back. I think HMS had it. Having a small hand to get inside is nice.

I don't but fluid in the bleeder can because I don't like the idea of the residue. Maybe I'm paranoid. I have to take the bleeder off sometimes for each corner to refill the reservoir. Mine takes more than 5-10 pumps to get to 20 psi. But, hey, to each their own.
    Dan Chadwick
    Boston Chapter BMW CCA Instructor Development.
    Near-Orbital Space Monkeys, E30 M50-ish
    Driving Evals on-line evaluations for Driving Schools. Paper forms are just wrong.

My Cars
    97 M3
    I understand what you're saying, no fluid in the tank. God what a hassle though, you might as well be stepping on the pedal to bleed. I just poor the fluid left in the tank into my old oil tank. Maybe if I was using SRF I wouldn't but, for relatively cheap fluid, I make no effort to save it. Once the bottles been open for a month, it's no good anyway so, I just dump it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast