Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rear Suspension/Wheel Bearing Install...

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    no
    2 Trailing Arms and 4 wheels bearings are the only old suspension components which i have.
    Thanks,

The Rear Wheel Bearing I can understand, when it comes time to replace, not too bad with proper tools.

The Trailing Arm is too expensive.
    My question is: the bushings can be replaced in ? E46 or Z3 models but not sure why it is not available for E39 Trailing Arm.
    Power Flex company should make this as an option!
    Last edited by cnn; 09-23-2009 at 10:32 AM.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    Hey champaign777,

Did you ever replace the Bushings in the Trailing Arms (circled in blue color)?
    Thanks!
    no

you will be the first who will replace them
    Last edited by champaign777; 09-22-2009 at 02:29 PM.

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    Hi Michel, what about the bushing of part #8 ( http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=33&fg=30 ) ?????
    Michel,

Thanks for the wonderful DIY.
    I have the same question as jdjg, basically:

Trailing Arm Left Rear (circle in blue in the pic)
    PN:33326755471, retailed as $370/each side!

Is the bushing replaceable? Or we have to change the whole Trailing Arm?
    Unfortunately, the whole arm has to be replaced. When I was rounding up the parts from the dealership, my parts guy said that the whole arm has to be ordered and does not come from BMW as separate components.

Michel if you need I can give you Subgrame Bushing Franklin took for rent free - you helped a lot from beginning - PM me
    Thanks Champ. I may have to take you up on that when I can get some extra funds for the bushings. I have been pouring excessive amounts of money in my LandCruiser lately and it has been killing me. Many of the Toyota parts I have gotten are more expensive than the ones for my E39 go figure.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    4 subframe bushing for sedan are not expensive at all and you will be surprised about the price.
    Ask cdb3113 - we both bought from the same place - original Lemfoerder ...

Rear makes all difference
    Last edited by champaign777; 09-23-2009 at 12:04 AM.

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    4 subframe bushing for sedan are not expensive at all and you will be surprised about the price.
    Ask cdb3113 - we both bought from the same place - original Lemfoerder ...

Rear makes all difference
    I will look into it an see if I can swing it. I would really like to finish off the rear, and that would be icing on the cake.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Hi champaign777,

Could you give me the PN for these 4 subframe bushings?

My Cars
    2003 540 M Sport
    At what mileage are you all replacing your bearings?

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm635 View Post
    I will look into it an see if I can swing it. I would really like to finish off the rear, and that would be icing on the cake.
    1. Take subframe bushing from here :
    cdb3113
    In case you didn't see... I got the subframe bushing set of 4 from BMAparts.com, because the Lemfoerder bushings were like $21. That's for ALL 4.

part # 33311091422

http://bmaparts.com/item.wws?sku=BMW...er&weight=1.20

2. Pay 20$ to post Franklin tool to you and back
    3. One condition - make a good write up
    Last edited by champaign777; 09-23-2009 at 12:04 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Hi champaign777,

Could you give me the PN for these 4 subframe bushings?
    Numero dos?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...18&hg=33&fg=30
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    On your link it is 02 Rubber Mounting 433311091422

if it's sedan then 33311091422 will work for all E39

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1215641
    Last edited by champaign777; 09-23-2009 at 05:05 PM.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    1. Take subframe bushing from here :
    cdb3113
    In case you didn't see... I got the subframe bushing set of 4 from BMAparts.com, because the Lemfoerder bushings were like $21. That's for ALL 4.

part # 33311091422

http://bmaparts.com/item.wws?sku=BMW...er&weight=1.20

2. Pay 20$ to post Franklin tool to you and back
    3. One condition - make a good write up
    Oh snap! I said I was going to do a write up on the subframe bushing install and never did it! Better get on it!

Yeah, I got my bushings from BMAparts.com, and my 4 Lemforder bushings cost me $20. I couldn't pass that up. I think they might be more now though... I got mine over a year ago. BMA parts sent them to me and they arrived with my guibo and some other parts in an old frozen food box...

I will make the write up soon, but note that my pictures won't show the classy tool that champagin777 used... they will show off my own engineering skillz and ingenuity (i.e. custom tool!) If you are going to do this job and have a cool dude like champaign777 willing to let you use the tool for only $20, DO IT! I took the cheap and fun route.

BTW, never forget the most important tools for such jobs:
    Last edited by cdb3113; 09-23-2009 at 05:19 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Sorry cdb3113 - no barbarous engineering
    Don't be scare folks with Franklin tool it's 3H job, complexity is 3 from 10
    Last edited by champaign777; 09-23-2009 at 09:28 PM.

My Cars
    E39 525i, E34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by cdb3113 View Post

Yeah, I got my bushings from BMAparts.com, and my 4 Lemforder bushings cost me $20.
    Is this cost ($20) per piece? I checked the BMAparts website, and it says $21.00 per piece. Do they come as a set of 4 when you bought them before? Thanks.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ghandog View Post
    Is this cost ($20) per piece? I checked the BMAparts website, and it says $21.00 per piece. Do they come as a set of 4 when you bought them before? Thanks.
    price is for one bushing and you need 4 , run and buy - original lemfoerder, i got 2001/2002 production year, looks like they have some old storehouse
    Last edited by champaign777; 09-24-2009 at 12:50 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    cdb3113...look at this DIY, scroll down to the rear subframe bushings...can we drill/air chisel or torch ours out and press-in with a floor jack:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&highlight=FEQ

Last edited by bimmerfiver; 09-25-2009 at 09:28 PM.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    cdb3113...look at this DIY, scroll down to the rear subframe bushings...can we drill/air chisel or torch ours out and press-in with a floor jack:

Worst idea ever.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport

I almost failed from my chair ... Are you a fireman ???
    What you have done with your Subframe Bushing ???
    holy crap ... you cool

Last edited by champaign777; 09-26-2009 at 10:57 PM.

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '00 528iT spo
    If you pull the rear subframe bushing carrier on an E30 (not hard to do) that is one of the easier ways (torch) to get the subframe bushings out.

I haven't looked under an E39 sedan but ... if disconnecting the shocks, d-shaft, e-brake cables is about all it takes ... I'd proceed the same way. Also get the added bonus of POR-15 and painting whatever is peeling (if steel).

e30 subframe bush on fire.jpg
    Last edited by jase007; 09-27-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    Jason

'90 325iX 5M, '00 528iT 5M Sport (mfg. 5/1999)
    BMW CCA member #130075
    JScott Racing

My Cars
    '97 E39 540i

Excellent, great writeup

Thanks for you post. I took on the rear wheel bearing job this weekend all went well except for getting the spline back in the hub. Any new thoughts on getting her done without destroying the CV joint, bearing (and alignment)? I banged on that for half a day with a 2x4 and 2lb hammer. Don't seem to have room for a 4x4 in there. I'm going for a bigger hammer today, I've got about another 1/4 inch to go. Excellent find at HB on the 12 ton puller. Have you found anything to pull the spine and hub together? How does the dealer do this job?!

In you rear suspension overhaul, what part showed the greatest wear, what was the greatest bang for the buck?

Mike

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejbmw View Post
    Thanks for you post. I took on the rear wheel bearing job this weekend all went well except for getting the spline back in the hub. Any new thoughts on getting her done without destroying the CV joint, bearing (and alignment)? I banged on that for half a day with a 2x4 and 2lb hammer. Don't seem to have room for a 4x4 in there. I'm going for a bigger hammer today, I've got about another 1/4 inch to go. Excellent find at HB on the 12 ton puller. Have you found anything to pull the spine and hub together? How does the dealer do this job?!

In you rear suspension overhaul, what part showed the greatest wear, what was the greatest bang for the buck?

Mike
    Mike,

I am not totally clear on what you are asking in your question. The 4x4 is used to butt up against the hub after the bearing has been installed in the assembly. Once the bearing is in place, and the half-shaft spline is sticking through the bearing, the 4x4 is used to smack the hub into the splines on the half-shaft. It is very important that you slowly tap the hub into the corresponding splines on the half-shaft in order to start it off correctly. Also, add oil on the splines in order to help lubricate and provide a degree of anti-corrosion protection.

The rear arms and bearings were in bad shape on my car.

Shoot me a PM and I will see if I can help you out with your situation.

My Cars
    '97 E39 540i

Spline + Hub

Michel,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have bearing attached to hub with 4 bolts. I have been hitting the hub from the inside of the wheel to force the spline into the hub. With suspension jacked up and half-shaft level, I don't have enough hub sticking out from the outside to smack the hub on the spline. I probably am going to have to gut it out for the 1/4 inch.

Great looking wheels on your ride. Are those 19s? I have m5 18s 8 inch front 9 inch rears. There is alot of noise back ther hopefully cured with new bearings (left rear bearing felt rough on removal). Do you get much tire noise?
    Last edited by mikejbmw; 02-22-2010 at 05:46 PM.

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Michel,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have bearing attached to hub with 4 bolts. I have been hitting the hub from the inside of the wheel to force the spline into the hub. With suspension jacked up and half-shaft level, I don't have enough hub sticking out from the outside to smack the hub on the spline. I probably am going to have to gut it out for the 1/4 inch.

Great looking wheels on your ride. Are those 19s? I have m5 18s 8 inch front 9 inch rears. There is alot of noise back ther hopefully cured with new bearings (left rear bearing felt rough on removal). Do you get much tire noise?
    Then, from what you describe, you should have enough of the threaded portion of the splined half shaft exposed to thread the axle nut - this will seat the rest of the hub in place. I am picturing your description as the hub face is on the same plane as the face of the splined shaft. So, this is why you cannot use the 4x4 on that side, I assume. If that is the case, then the recess in the hub should be exposing the threads I mentioned earlier. Let me know if I am off base. If you can take a pic of everything as it is, then that would help much.

Also, try putting your axle in the same position as in the following pic:

Thanks. They are 18" Rondell Style 81 - 8.5 up front and 10 in the rear. I have minimal noise in the rear and that is even with my ski pass down and a sub in the space. I also have new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.
    Last edited by mmm635; 02-22-2010 at 06:30 PM.

My Cars
    '97 E39 540i

Done deal on the Bearings

Michel,
    I'm off the jack stands and on the road. In the end a very satisfying repair.
    2 new rear wheel bearings and the car has never been quieter. Inner bearing on the left side was the culprit. Now I can hear a rattle underneath that goes away when I hit the brakes. Gonna try new rear pads with anti rattle clips. You, this board and the internet have kept me driving a BMW instead of driving some boring ride like a Toyota. Actually those things can kill you!

Regard, Mike

My Cars
    2003 525i
    THIS IS my summer project. The rear end of my car makes me sick. I believe all good men should come to the aide of their e39 and tear into the rearend of the car at 100K miles. My rear arms, link, bearing...they make me sick.

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Michel,
    I'm off the jack stands and on the road. In the end a very satisfying repair.
    2 new rear wheel bearings and the car has never been quieter. Inner bearing on the left side was the culprit. Now I can hear a rattle underneath that goes away when I hit the brakes. Gonna try new rear pads with anti rattle clips. You, this board and the internet have kept me driving a BMW instead of driving some boring ride like a Toyota. Actually those things can kill you!

Regard, Mike
    Right on, man! My driver's side was in much worse shape than the passenger's side. It is amazing how much the car feels "new' when the rear suspension has been done.

THIS IS my summer project. The rear end of my car makes me sick. I believe all good men should come to the aide of their e39 and tear into the rearend of the car at 100K miles. My rear arms, link, bearing...they make me sick.
    You know it Keith. We have to take care of our rear ends as we, I mean the car, get older!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast