Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma Need your opinion... BMW vs PORSCHE

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li

Exclamation Dilemma Need your opinion... BMW vs PORSCHE

As you know I am the current owner of a nicely modifified 740. I do have rims and suspension coming for it. However no matter what mod i do to it, still the same boat it is. So I have long been drooling over the Porsche 996 Carrera. I have found a 2000 model year w/ hard top and 6 speed (my only requirements). I drove the car on a test drive and absolutly fell in love with it!

My dilemma is to trade my BIG fast luxury car for a small fast high profile car? I would not consider an M3 for myself, due to the part everyone and their mom has one. Also boxster's are out of the picture, im talking about the two afformentioned cars in this article. I will be commuting approx 75 miles twice a week to college and back and have found that the Porsche cars are very commfortable on long trips.

To add I love my 7 and believe it to be the worlds best luxury sedan also i have a love for all m cars. But there's just too many of them and I always like to stand out

Would appreciate your opinion on the subject
    Last edited by 99bmw740il; 08-07-2003 at 12:54 PM.

My Cars
    No thank you
    I say go for the Porsche. Since you're still in college I assume you're still pretty young? Get another 7 when you get a family or something. But for now, have some fun.
    BMWCCA #364799
    Peake SRS airbag reset/diagnostic tool $95 shipped
    Searching for my 848 Unicorn
    "Have a mind that's open to everything, get attached to nothing" - Busey-ism

My Cars
    1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t
    The 996 is just so beautiful. If you don't have a family to haul around then GO FOR IT. Also note that the back seat does not exist. I tried to sit in the back of a Carrera Cabrio once...I couldnt put the seat back because it was smashing my legs. I'm a 5'4" Asian kid that weighs about 110lbs...:

And the fact that you don't like 993s because they're air-cooled would makemany P-car fas want to destroy you.
    -Ted

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li
    Originally posted by Kiko
    The 996 is just so beautiful. If you don't have a family to haul around then GO FOR IT. Also note that the back seat does not exist. I tried to sit in the back of a Carrera Cabrio once...I couldnt put the seat back because it was smashing my legs. I'm a 5'4" Asian kid that weighs about 110lbs...:

And the fact that you don't like 993s because they're air-cooled would makemany P-car fas want to destroy you.

i didnt mean that oops. I'm going to be sitting in traffice for long periods of time, it will be my daily driver and with air cooled engine they get hot sitting and the valves seals start to wear. I just meant for practical purposes no air cooled, also the 996 is more comfortable. Still love 911/993/996's

My Cars
    '99 Z3 , '97 740iL, '90 735iL, '65 Sunbeam Alpine
    Get a Z3...
    Sig courtesy of ///Maniac

'99 Z3 2.3 '97 740iL '90 735iL
    '65 Sunbeam Alpine - Pimpmobile

My Cars
    1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t
    Originally posted by Gary-TulZa
    Get a Z3...
    :

Originally posted by 99bmw740il
    i didnt mean that oops. I'm going to be sitting in traffice for long periods of time, it will be my daily driver and with air cooled engine they get hot sitting and the valves seals start to wear. I just meant for practical purposes no air cooled, also the 996 is more comfortable. Still love 911/993/996's
    They'd probably still destroy you .
    -Ted

My Cars
    E30 M3
    993's im not considering because they have the air cooled engine
    Since when is that a bad thing?:

Yeah, you sound like a 996 owner.: :
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
    OWN3D: Preppyaznboy, B, bimmerchop, gmhl10, m3some, biggalicious, CyberEye, Mugen92GS-R, Nimble, INFERNO2K, 813813

CEREBELLUM'D: Lil' IS 300, NYQUEENZ, kyu79, YamotaČ
    - Paul Rosche > You. -
    www.ubertechnik.com

My Cars
    2001 Ford Explorer
    If it's not air cooled than what is it? Water cooled?

My Cars
    91 318is
    aren't you in high school?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li
    Originally posted by OPTIMO
    Since when is that a bad thing?:

Yeah, you sound like a 996 owner.: :
    I have retracted my comments about an air cooled. Fact is the 993s are selling for the same price as 996's (used). The 993 is a terrific reliable car, handbuilt too. The 996 is cheaper made, has a mass produced feel almost and the body lines arn't as exagerated as the 996. I would choose a 993 but i have ZERO luck finding one for a decent price, there is however tons of cabrios' :eyes1 I would like a 996 in fact to the warranty and it is better amenitized, I will be commuting in it.

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    go porsche the 740 is way to stodgy.

nothing like a chick rowing gears in a Porsche.
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

My Cars
    2.5L Sterling E30 M3; 1988 E28M5, 99 Accord Coupe
    Originally posted by Kiko

HAHA, well I'm a 220lb 6'1" asian, and I had no problem getting into the back of a 996 TT with 31 miles on it. but, i would of gone inside the trunk in the hood if I had to!
    Unless your friends are ultra porsche fanatics, the back seats are basically useless

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    The Porsche would be a great car to get. My mom drivers her 996 six-speed as a daily driver; she has for a year and a half now with no complains either. Another car you may want to conceder would be a 540 six-speed, or perhaps, if you can find one in your price range, a used M5. That way it won't be such an extreme jump, and you'd be in a less high profile car. But seeing that you live in Newport, I wouldn’t' say that a 996 is still a high profile car. I've seen three parked close to each other on PCH before.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    we fit four people (alright, women) into the 996 for a trip out to Phoenix. That's 7 hours both ways.

My Cars
    Originally posted by 99bmw740il
    Wasn't the development of an air cooled engine pushed by hitler because he wanted to invade North Africa and needed an reliable engine under desert conditions??? I'm pretty sure air cooled engines are suppose to handle heat pretty well... at least historically speaking.

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    damn i thought little740girl started this thread
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

My Cars
    Little history on air cooled engines. BTW, isn't it ironic that Hitler was the main driver behind the "People's Car" Volkswagon:

Early in World War II, about the time America got into the fray, word began circulating back to the States about an amazing Nazi war machine. Called the Kubelwagen (literally "bucket car" in German), it easily mastered both the deserts of North Africa and the frozen wastes of Russia.

This amazing little "German Jeep," as the GIs called it, had a rear-mounted aircraft-like air-cooled engine that neither boiled over under the desert sun nor froze in the Arctic. And it was so light — 1100 pounds — that it could be righted by two men if it rolled over, or easily pushed out of bogs, ditches and dunes.

Thus was born the Beetlemania that swept the U.S.A. in the Fifties and Sixties.

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    Originally posted by ken_vs_ryu
    : I wish I could have, but a 996 is just a hair out of my price range, or double my price range, perhaps even tripple.

My Cars
    RIP:'93 325i ; '07 e61 x
    740s are awesome. If you can keep it, cool, otherwise go with the Porsche!
    3rd Infantry Division, United States Army

"Rock of the Marne!"

My Cars
    tank
    99 BMW w/mods and u r considering switching already... jeez... talk about a change so fast...
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

My Cars
    Chevrolet Corvette
    I don't see many M5s around, although I do see M3s regularly. I suggest taking a look at a used M5 before finalizing your decision.

If you decide against the M5, then I do reccomend the Porsche.

My Cars
    00xp race ski, 08 750il
    go air cooled or dont get a p car, the soul of the p car imo is theair cooled engine. the 996's are realy nice but something about them i jsut dont like all that much
    Cars sold now
    #150 WC emra
    andrew vovou

My Cars
    1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t
    Originally posted by ken_vs_ryu
    Yea, I was wondering why you were calling him a chick, I don't think he appreciates that .
    -Ted

My Cars
    1998 Volvo S70 GLT
    Get a 840 or 850....They are big beautiful cars, and you really don't see too many around.

And they fast, specially the 850.

My Cars
    SMG
    manual sucks in traffic. if you are sitting... well. i dont know what to tell you
    Milltek pipes. Ground control coilovers. Conforti Tuned. V1 & iPod hardwired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast