Thread: Z4 vs Z4M (suspension)

My Cars
    91 318is

Z4 vs Z4M (suspension)

I'm just kind of curious and think this would be a good thread to have around with some good info. BTW browsing for suspension parts and seeing all the parts that fit the Z4M and not the regular sparked this these thoughts.

What are the suspension/chassis Differences between a Z4 vs a Z4M?

What parts could you swap between to two if any? Could you put an M suspension on a Non M car?

I did a search and turned up only one thread, but it wasn't as indepth as I had hoped. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum.../t-844305.html

It kind of brought up another question, Is the non M just based on the E46 non M suspension or are parts possibly interchangable?

Thanks guys
    Zach

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 2.5i
    Good post Zach. I have wondered myself what compatibilities exist. Anxious to see the response
    2005 2.5i Roadster - Sterling gray w/black interior and black top. Premium package, steptronic, leather, xenon, bluetooth, BMW Assist, BMW OEM alarm, BMW Sirius radio, Roadster Solutions windscreen, aux-in, sound generator, LeatherZ console and armrests, first-aid boxes, and Goodyear Eagle GTs.

My Cars
    07 Z4 3.0si Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by caseysc1 View Post
    Good post Zach. I have wondered myself what compatibilities exist. Anxious to see the response
    About a year or so back either Hack or Dammitt did an excellent detailed comparison of the suspension differences between the Z4, Z4 Sport, and Z4M IIRC. If I can find it, I'll put it up.
    If you can't take the time to teach a kid something good, someone will take the time to teach them something bad.

My Cars
    Z4 coupe

Partial info - swaybars

I don't know about springs/shocks (though the part numbers for aftermarket units for the M and non-M are certainly different), but I did look into swaybar compatibility about a year ago.

The rear bars are entirely incompatible due to the different shape of the M differential. The M front bar is not exactly compatible with the non-M, but supposedly can be made to fit with minor modification (not sure what is entailed, got the info from BMS). Rather than go this route I just chose an H&R front bar for my 3.0si - same 27mm diameter as the M bar, adjustable, and no mod required to make it fit.

My Cars
    2007 Imola Red/Black
    You can also compare and cross-reference here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do
    His: RIP-E86 ///M Coupe: Pics Track Pics Vids
    Hers: 997-1 C4S: Pics

My Cars
    91 318is
    Incompatible, the linked thread in my original post is yours. It seems to be a good start, but The Hack was the only one to reply. So I was hoping we could throw some more details out.

By that I mean maybe clear up on possible options to upgrade our cars suspensions that aren't M's.

My Cars
    BMW Z4 3.0SI

Detailed report on the differences.

I had an 06 3.0SI with sport package that I liked very much. I now have an 08 M Roadster and I can tell you the differnce in handling and ride quality is astounding. The source for the article below is ZER Customs.

Extensive new engineering for BMW M

Starting with the Z4’s already excellent chassis engineering – Motor Trend commented in its May ‘05 issue that the Z4‘s “sport suspension and solid chassis make this car a thrill to drive on canyon roads“ – BMW M has endowed the Z4 M Roadster and Coupe with typical M modifications that further enhance handling and tailor the cars' road capabilities to M’s higher performance level.

Front suspension. While retaining the Z4’s basic concept – strut-type with forged-aluminum lower arms – the M engineers created an essentially new version with:
    • A wider front track (by 0.5 in.)
    • Newly configured lower arms, still of forged aluminum; more complex shape with open sections for lightness, similar to those of M3s
    • New steering knuckles, bolted to the struts (saves weight, sharpens steering response)

Such changes, subtle yet deep-reaching, are – as good as the basic BMW model is – key to achieving the “beyond exceptional” reflexes of an M model.

Rear suspension. Though modifications to the Z4’s Central Link (multi-link) rear suspension are less extensive than at the front, they are significant. Among others, the following major M elements are shared with M3s:

• Rear subframe – larger and stronger; accommodates differential with M Variable Differential Lock
    • Wheel bearings
    • Central (longitudinal) Links
    • Arrangement of anti-roll bar.

As at the front, these modifications sharpen handling capabilities.

Ride height and suspension calibration. Like the Z4’s sport suspension, that of the Z4 M Roadster and Coupe are set lower compared to the standard Z4’s setup. Unlike the Z4, however, the M versions get an all-around new calibration of springs, shock absorbers, anti-roll bars and bushings to BMW M parameters; this includes specific auxiliary springs at the front and rear.

A new steering system. BMW M has somewhat different priorities: a greater emphasis on absolutely accurate road feedback and ultra-spontaneous response to the driver’s commands at the steering wheel. In this context, higher parking and low-speed efforts are acceptable. Thus M gave the Roadster and Coupe a hydraulically-assisted rack and pinion with a power-steering pump calibrated with assist characteristics optimized for the Z4 M Roadster and Coupe. This system reduces parking efforts somewhat, but not to the degree that vehicle-speed-sensitive assist does. [/color][/size]

My Cars
    91 318is
    Thank you leeman. Great find.

Could we use the stock M springs/shocks on our cars then?

Also what exactly are "Central (longitudinal) Links"? Their Function?

So the rear suspension on the M is a completely different animal from what is on any Z4 if I am reading that right, right?

Thanks for the info guys keep it coming this is looking good,
    Zach

My Cars
    Z4///M, G35c 6MT
    The Z4 uses E46 style struts. The Z4M uses E36 style struts. The ways the struts are bolted/connected are different and are not interchangeable.

To make it short, no you can't put Z4M suspensions on a non-M Z.
    '06 BMW Z4///M 19" BBS RGR's|TCK DA coilovers 400F/500R|Eisenmann Sport|Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's|M side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
    '05 G35 coupe 6MT
    '04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
    '03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

My Cars
    91 318is
    OK, so you are saying the chassis itself is different, not just swapping out parts?

Would E46 struts be able to fit then?

Thanks
    Zach

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '16 Golf R
    You might be able to cobble together some kind of frankensuspension, swaping in SOME M parts. But it would be a huge hassle and expense, and the end result won't be a "real" M setup and could turn out to be a huge disappointment.

Better option would be to sell the non-M car and step up into an M. Methinks you'd be quite happy with that solution.

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979TransAm View Post
    OK, so you are saying the chassis itself is different, not just swapping out parts?

Would E46 struts be able to fit then?

Thanks
    Zach
    Not E46 M struts. The Z4 (non-M) suspension is similar enough to E46 (non-M) set-up that any suspension parts designed for an E46 will be a direct bolt-on.

The question is, why would you want to...Unless you're looking at aftermarket parts. Z4 springs and dampers are tuned to Z4 weight while E46 springs and dampers are tuned to E46 weight. Unless you go aftermarket and specify your own spring rate and damper rate, buying E46 OEM parts to fit the Z4 is a waste of money.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    BMW Z4 3.0SI

M suspension

Thank you leeman. Great find.

Could we use the stock M springs/shocks on our cars then?

So the rear suspension on the M is a completely different animal from what is on any Z4 if I am reading that right, right?
    Thanks for the info guys keep it coming this is looking good,
    Zach
    They mentioned an auxilary spring both front and back. I don't know if additional suspension components are required to support that. I have been trying to get a exploded view of the suspension but have not come across it yet.

I am not sure.

It sounds to me that the components such as control arms and subframe along with placement of cross members are different and also the ride height is lower. I parked mine next to a 3.0I and the M looked considerably lower. I say maybe an inch or so.

Click on the link to view the entire article. http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2008-...and-Coupe.html It is the most in depth review I've seen on the M. The multitiude of differences goes beyond the suspension to create a sensational driving experience. I would suggest you leave your car stock and buy the M when you're ready. One joy ride around town in the M and you'll know what I mean.
    Last edited by Leeman; 04-06-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    91 318is
    The Hack, yes I would definately not be buying stock E46 parts to put on, that makes no sense. I would want to do a custom spec spring. I noticed while browsing for parts though that the Z4M is in a category on it's own and wanted to know why and how. I was mainly wanting to start this thread to look at options for our non M cars.

Remember guys I personally am not looking to turn my car into an M just wanted facts on the differences and possible upgrades for a non M car. So the response, "Sell your car and buy the M," is right if I wanted an M, but otherwise a null answer.

BTW, I have plans for my car down the road that are outside of the cookie cutter BMW M car performance, which while great I hope to improve. I wouldn't buy an M just to chop it up. I could use all the info I can get.

Thanks guys for the great replies. Leeman if you get those diagrams defineatly post those puppies. Keep the info coming guys

Zach

My Cars
    09 Routan 04 Z4 3.0i
    I think before I spent a dime on upgrading my 3.0i suspension I would look into replacing the rear end with something that drives both wheels a little better than the stock one. Does Quaife Engineering or someone make a decent differental setup for these cars?

My Cars
    Z4 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
    I think before I spent a dime on upgrading my 3.0i suspension I would look into replacing the rear end with something that drives both wheels a little better than the stock one. Does Quaife Engineering or someone make a decent differental setup for these cars?
    http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=quaife

Or you can wait for another M to be totaled and transplant the differential, rear subframe, axles, and suspension (I think when all those are swapped together they'll fit nicely into a non-M)
    Last edited by vachss; 04-07-2009 at 07:42 AM.

My Cars
    09 Routan 04 Z4 3.0i
    Thank you, I sent them HP and email.

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    The Hack, yes I would definately not be buying stock E46 parts to put on, that makes no sense. I would want to do a custom spec spring. I noticed while browsing for parts though that the Z4M is in a category on it's own and wanted to know why and how. I was mainly wanting to start this thread to look at options for our non M cars.
    If your goal is to upgrade the suspension and you're wondering if the aftermarket stuff for the MZ4 will work on the Z4, then the simple answer is no. Just like all previous BMWs, no M suspension works on the non-M because of various reasons. For the Z4 it's because the front of the M uses E36 M suspension design. For the E46 it's because the rear subframe geometry and front end geometry is much different on the M. Same goes for the E36. Same goes for the Z3. So when you buy aftermarket parts for the Z4 you can not specify MZ4 parts since out of all the M models, this is by far and wide the most incompatible of all BMW ///Ms ever made.

However, if you goal is to get aftermarket suspension parts for your Z4 but Z4 specific applications do not exist, you CAN use aftermarket suspensions design to work on an E46 since they are interchangeable. The only thing you have to look out for, is you should get adjustable dampers since typical damper rate that works for an E46 will likely make the Z4 difficult to live with, and the ride height adjustment range may not be as wide since the Z4 springs are shorter (I believe). But a PSS-9 for a regular E46 will bolt right up, for example.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    91 318is
    Thank you The Hack.

My Cars
    E46 M3. 6spd. Coupe.
    So i can put a z4 M subframe/links/diff etc into a non M?

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredthejewler View Post
    So i can put a z4 M subframe/links/diff etc into a non M?
    Why would you? Just get an M if it is what you want.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
    Why would you? Just get an M if it is what you want.
    I suppose if you got the parts free or near free, and it was just all your own labor this might be one way to go. But yeah, generally, once you make a few mods towards an M, it's usually cheaper to just buy an M.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    1999 E39 528it

Z4 vs Z4M (suspension)

Hi All,
    Our Z4 3.0i was hit on the right rear wheel by an Ambulance. The rear axle is bent and differential jammed in. The rear axle and sub-frame have to be replaced. Will the Z4M rear subframe and axle fit the Z4?
    Z4 M wheels were too wide to clear the Z4 fenders, so the Z4M axles or differential are narrower?
    Has anyone done the Z4M rear end to Z4 rear end swap?
    Thanks,
    Dan Conrad
    810-794-9907

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    Some great information on this thread - thanks to all contributors!

Does anyone know if the Z4 Coupe 3.0si sport model is the same suspension as the 3.0i? I.e. so all of the above thread applies.

I would like to upgrade/renew the suspension and wondered if anyone has any recommendations? I was thinking bilstein b12 package as it has B8 + matching eibach springs.

I do not want to lower the car as its low enough already. I've read somewhere that you can get spacers to help with this. I'm after better handling + but don't want to be scraping over speed humps :-) May be could get away with a 5mm drop at the most.