Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Signs of a failing ignition switch?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by YasirE39 View Post
    ... My key is in a bad shape so I going to get me a new key the BMW Stealership today. but just wanted to know if anyone had the same issue . Please help

Ryan
    Which type of key do you have...the old style or new style? If you have the old style and the problem is that the rubber pads are worn out...those can be replaced for approx $5. It would be a lot cheaper than buying a brand new remote key.

There are sellers on ebay (some here in the States and some in China) that sell the replacement rubber key pads for the old style keys.

{out with the old}

(you can see the EWS transponder chip in the pic below...MAKE SURE you don't LOSE this component if you open up your key...if you do...the key will never start your car...and the transponder is not sold separately...you'll have to buy a brand new key)

{in with the new}
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    00 E39 M 03 E39 M
    E39 very well taken care of has 142 K , No problems what so ever (other than the key is jacked up) ... one day forgot the windows down and it rained inside the car , the carpet got pretty wet . tried to start and I could see lights on the dash but no crank or click , just like if your remove the EWS chip from your key for those who've done that.
    So I thought the battery died from some sort of a short , so I tried jumping the car , and I started right up.

2 months later I start noticing the same symptoms coming back slowly , but if I try to start it a couple of time it would starts fine, kept getting worst till I had to flick the key for it to start the car.

Now the car is not cranking at all , Dash lights on but no crank . I went to BMW Rip off center and ordered a new key for $220, because It's suspect # 1

If you guys been through this sort of an issue please share
    I will update after testing the new key

Thanks

My Cars
    1997 E39 540 Touring
    Hello,

I`m quite sure my ignition switch is going bad. But the signs is a little bit different from what I read in the forum and net?

- Interior lights not working
    - Steering wheel doesn`t go back to deafult position when I turn of the engine
    - Windshield water pump not working

I`m going to change but I have one doubt. My ignition cylinder is spinning sometimes when I try to start the engine.

If I change the ignition switch the it will also solve the spinning issue?

Thanks

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon83 View Post
    Hello,

I`m quite sure my ignition switch is going bad. But the signs is a little bit different from what I read in the forum and net?

- Interior lights not working
    - Steering wheel doesn`t go back to deafult position when I turn of the engine
    - Windshield water pump not working

I`m going to change but I have one doubt. My ignition cylinder is spinning sometimes when I try to start the engine.

If I change the ignition switch the it will also solve the spinning issue?

Thanks

I doubt the ignition switch is the culprit. Windshield water pump, I'd check the pump itself. If the wipers move but no water comes out follow the trail.
    Steering wheel - I have a '97 540 and my steering wheel doesn't change positions when the car is shut off. I believe this is correct operation for our year.
    Interior lights not working -- all of them? Check fuses, check electrical connections. Heck, could be a fuse related to the windshield washer

I'm sure others will have even better ideas but something to at least look into

My Cars
    1997 E39 540 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by aspensilver540 View Post
    I doubt the ignition switch is the culprit. Windshield water pump, I'd check the pump itself. If the wipers move but no water comes out follow the trail.
    Steering wheel - I have a '97 540 and my steering wheel doesn't change positions when the car is shut off. I believe this is correct operation for our year.
    Interior lights not working -- all of them? Check fuses, check electrical connections. Heck, could be a fuse related to the windshield washer

I'm sure others will have even better ideas but something to at least look into
    Thanks for the help. My is a 97 also.

I checked all the fuses and recently change the water pump so I think it didn't go bad again.

It all happend at the same time (steering columm, lights and memory). One day it's ok and the other not.

Since my ignition cylinder is spinning some times and this I noticed a couple months ago. I will change the ignition switch in any case since it's not a big cost and give a feedback.

If doesn´t work I will need to look in more details...

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    So I just bought my 1997 BMW 540i. I purchased it from the original owner with 67,000kms. The car is having some electrical issues that I cannot seem to figure out. I'm assuming it might be the the ignition switch or maybe a new battery?

Battery voltage reads 12.11V

Here is the list of electrical problems..

- The radio does not turn on at all. Everything else on the unit still functioning including the car phone and BC. (I have checked all the fuses including the one in the trunk). It was working when I bought he car..

- My wiper does not go back to home positioning. But still functional and only wipe back and forwth when I am accelerating. If I come to a stop it will stay still and occasionally will wipe back and forwth

- My steering wheel doesn't go back up when I turn off the car

- Alarm sound doesn't work but car still locks. It will work once in a blue moon but when I unlock the car the alarm will go off

- Sunroof opens but I need to be accelerating in order to close the sunroof. (Seems like it's low on juice)

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

My Cars
    99 528i
    I did the visor trick and I'm still having problems I still have power car won't shut accessories off

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Quote Originally Posted by kreger4 View Post
    I did the visor trick and I'm still having problems I still have power car won't shut accessories off

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
    Kreger4 - you should stick with your 1 original thread, which needs more details/description of the problem. Answer Mattmar1's in the 2nd post of your original thread.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    99 528i
    Ohh ok I'm sorry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123