Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Signs of a failing ignition switch?

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    How hard is it to replace the ignition switch?
    Anyone have a DIY ?
    Over 1500 posts and you still don't know there are two sources for finding DIYs on this message board? I'm shocked.

Parked: ***Useful links***
    Doru

Parked: E39 DIY Quick Links (Having problems finding a DIY? Check here!)
    jamesdc4

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Since this very useful thread has been brought back to life, I thought I'd add my $.02. On my E38, I was having trouble with my car starting after turning the key. It would take sometimes 5 or 6 times of turning the key before it would start, but when it did start, it started like absolutely nothing was wrong. The next time I'd try to start it, it would start up on the first try.

When it wouldn't start, absolutely nothing would happen (no new lights, no old lights not coming one....), as if I hadn't turned the key at all.

So, replacing the iggy switch solved this random no start problem for me.
    Now it starts on the first key twist every time.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    I used the DIY Jass posted, super easy. Even I could do it!

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    I bookmarked Jass's DIY. Thanks. There are sometimes a dozen DIYs on the same topic, and many are terrible.
    So, I prefer to have someone personally identify which they used (while we are on the topic anyway). Beats wading through 12 different DIYs, all of which often omit important details.

Wait, what exactly do you replace on an E39?
    I would think #3, but it doesn't look at all like what he replaced in the DIY
    Also, what else should you replace others "while you're already in there"??

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/61318379091/ES168253/

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...14&hg=61&fg=35
    Last edited by OnTheFence; 07-17-2012 at 10:55 AM.

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    I believe none of the above in your diagram OTF
    You want part# 61-32-6-901-961

AFAIK there aren't any other 'while your there' things. I wouldn't replace the switch unless I was experiencing problems. Some never encounter any, so it's not particularly preventative.
    Last edited by aspensilver540; 07-17-2012 at 05:22 PM.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Thanks Aspen.
    I was looking under Electrical.

While we're at it: http://www.furiousmethod.com/ with part# 61326901961 leads us to:
    $40 Ebay used
    $66 at ECS
    $67 at BMA (free ship)
    $59 at thebmwpartstore.com (Shipping trick?)

My Cars
    17 650i M Sport
    Thank you for this thread.

My wife called me yesterday because her car was freaking out, with her steering wheel going up and down by itself and the radio turning on and off. I found this thread and called her up and asked her to do the simple visor check. She though I was off my rocker. Sure enough, as soon as she opened the slide to the mirror, the steering wheel went up on its own. She closed and reopened it and the steering wheel went back down.

Needless to say I ordered the switch from oembimmerparts for just over 80 bucks with shipping. I'll get it put in this weekend using the posted DIY. Thanks.
    Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    17 650i M Sport
    You bet.

My Cars
    17 650i M Sport
    Done. Used the DIY posted on page one of this thread and there really is nothing to add. Pretty straight forward. It took me about 45 minutes to get the tools needed, take the column apart, r/r switch, put it all back together, and put my tools away.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    I don't think it is a common item so I wouldn't replace it. Lots of people have ignition switches that never go bad either, so I wouldn't replace that either unless I saw symptoms.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspensilver540 View Post
    I don't think it is a common item so I wouldn't replace it. Lots of people have ignition switches that never go bad either, so I wouldn't replace that either unless I saw symptoms.
    Not replacing it unless you see symptoms is correct, but from what I've seen here on Bf.c, ignition switch failure is extremely common on E39s.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Not sure if this is good or bad but I can't get a repeat of the "non-functional" steering controls so it's not possible to fully diagnose the symptoms using the "Visor Test" as of yet.

I also read that the symptoms I and others have described are possibly related to the slip ring. So until I get a repeat of the "dead" steering wheel controls, I'll have to wait.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using BF.com

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    Not sure if this is good or bad but I can't get a repeat of the "non-functional" steering controls so it's not possible to fully diagnose the symptoms using the "Visor Test" as of yet.

I also read that the symptoms I and others have described are possibly related to the slip ring. So until I get a repeat of the "dead" steering wheel controls, I'll have to wait.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using BF.com
    If you've never replaced the ignition switch, I'd advise doing so. You're at about the correct mileage, I think. When mine went it was intermittent and became more frequent over time.
    Say Hi to Miles for me.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    If you've never replaced the ignition switch, I'd advise doing so. You're at about the correct mileage, I think. When mine went it was intermittent and became more frequent over time.
    Say Hi to Miles for me.
    Ooops...must've forgotten to hit send the first time.

I think I'll pull the steering air bag and check the slip ring first, if I don't have a recurrence soon. As you know, we are on a tight budget...

Send our love to the family...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    17 650i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    So, you used this:
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/244045

And it's #2 in this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...03&hg=32&fg=30

Do you ever need to replace this? (Steering Column Switch)

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...61&fg=35&hl=22
    Yeah, that's the diy that I followed and it is part number 2 in the above diagram. I ordered mine from oembimmerparts.com.

I'm not sure why one would have to remove/replace the actual steering column switch. You don't have to remove it to replace the ignition switch.

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    I thought my ignition switch was acting weird until I got a brand new key cut from the dealer. New key, no mas problemas.

My Cars
    1998 540i E39

Bad ignition switch??

Hopeful that someone from this thread can answer a question about ignition. I have a 1998 540i e39. I can't do the visor test...there was no visor when I purchased this car 3 years and $$$$ ago. I have noticed new weird things aside from other problems such as:
    Only the drivers door will unlock. Can't open any others so the kids get to pretend to be the Dukes of Hazzard boys even though they have no clue as to who those guys are.
    I should also mention that I have no key fob with this car and was only given ONE car key.
    I tried to unlock from the trunk lock and that no longer does it either.
    The center switch in the console for the central locking is not working.
    I tried double pulling the interior door handles as well.
    The other thing that I just noticed is that when I put the key in the ignition I can turn it all the way around backwards and it seems really loose or free spinning. Never noticed this before. Acc is turning the key forward one click so I have never tried this before, just did it on accident and thought this has to be a sure sign that the switch needs replacing.
    Anyone else ever had this happen when their switch went bad or can you do this on your car now??

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post

Ooops...must've forgotten to hit send the first time.

I think I'll pull the steering air bag and check the slip ring first, if I don't have a recurrence soon. As you know, we are on a tight budget...

Send our love to the family...
    Well, I had forgotten about this thread. The symptoms reappeared, (lack of steeing wheel functions, etc.) so I tested the visor and sure 'nuff, it was a failed ignition switch, HOWEVER, it did not eliminate the odd stalling at stop and hard starts after warming up the engine. Those issues finally revealed themselves thru the SES and...drum roll please...it was a failed MAF (INPA error 115). None of the symptoms from either repair exists anymore so I have had successful resolutions for both sets of issues...

"When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by 540gurl View Post
    Hopeful that someone from this thread can answer a question about ignition. I have a 1998 540i e39. I can't do the visor test...there was no visor when I purchased this car 3 years and $$$$ ago. I have noticed new weird things aside from other problems such as:
    Only the drivers door will unlock. Can't open any others so the kids get to pretend to be the Dukes of Hazzard boys even though they have no clue as to who those guys are.
    I should also mention that I have no key fob with this car and was only given ONE car key.
    I tried to unlock from the trunk lock and that no longer does it either.
    The center switch in the console for the central locking is not working.
    I tried double pulling the interior door handles as well.
    The other thing that I just noticed is that when I put the key in the ignition I can turn it all the way around backwards and it seems really loose or free spinning. Never noticed this before. Acc is turning the key forward one click so I have never tried this before, just did it on accident and thought this has to be a sure sign that the switch needs replacing.
    Anyone else ever had this happen when their switch went bad or can you do this on your car now??
    Any codes? You need to check or we are just shooting in the dark. From my research, central locking issues are usually GM3 related so now you have somewhere to start...

The spinning ignition cylinder is a fairly obvious sign of a failing IS so it can't hurt to rebuild (very simple unit) or just get a new one. GL...

"When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
    Last edited by ViolinARC; 02-08-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 540i E39
    Only codes are for CPS (this is the 2nd one from the same seller on eBay...ordering another from somewhere else) and the random misfires....(had these from day I purchased the car and prob a bad coil pack??)
    Must be GM3...could have been damaged when someone hooked up jumper cables to my battery backwards for a split second....ughhhh

But yes I do believe I will be doing the ignition repair.....Thanks for the quick reply 12cooldude
    Last edited by 540gurl; 02-08-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by 540gurl View Post
    Only codes are for CPS (this is the 2nd one from the same seller on eBay...ordering another from somewhere else) and the random misfires....(had these from day I purchased the car and prob a bad coil pack??)
    Must be GM3...could have been damaged when someone hooked up jumper cables to my battery backwards for a split second....ughhhh

But yes I do believe I will be doing the ignition repair.....Thanks for the quick reply 12cooldude
    No prob.

As for the CPS, you have discovered that sometimes "cheaper" is not really the case when you have to replace the unit more than once or much sooner than usual. Make sure the next CPS is OEM only and hopefully, you won't have to replace it for awhile. BTW, have you checked all the connections to the CPS? It could be ground related...

I had random misfires for awhile and it was my CCV diaphragm. A very small tear was causing a vacuum leak and random misfires. If you suspect one or more of the coils, move them around to see if the misfire follows the coil. If not, time to start looking for a vacuum leak and if you can't find one, start suspecting the CCV or internal OSV.

My Cars
    1998 540i 6-speed
    I have never found any info on my particular symptoms, but I'm beginning to think it's the ignition switch... The symptoms are: (this is intermittent)

- turn signal indicator, high beam indicator, seat belt warning stop working
    - turn signals and high beams continue to work properly
    - a couple of other indicators on dash don't work.
    - all of these stop working and start working together
    Probably unrelated:
    - cruise hasn't worked properly since I bought car 10 months and 11k miles ago, but has worked for a few minutes once or twice.
    - LCD displays flash bright occasionally.

Last night, I was in the car waiting for the fam with the 4-way flashers on. The interior click and lights stopped working. I messed with the ignition switch (jiggled key and turned off and on) and the indicator started working. Can't guarantee correlation, but I think so.

Visor trick doesn't have an effect as far as I can tell.

Any ideas? Anyone seen this related to ignition switch?

Thanks.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Very possible IS failure and when mine failed, I lost ALL steering wheel functions including CC. It's inexpensive and an easy DIY so replace it and see what happens...it couldn't hurt.

I read a thread here regarding the CC gear losing a few teeth, therefore, causing the CC to "slip", losing all CC operation intermittently. The op opened the CC and repositioned the gear so the missing teeth moved to the unused side of the cog. A clever solution imo...

My Cars
    00 E39 M 03 E39 M
    E39 2000 528i , just recently my 39 has been giving me trouble when trying to start it. I turn the key to the starting position and nothing happens , 15-20 times and the car starts , My key is in a bad shape so I going to get me a new key the BMW Stealership today. but just wanted to know if anyone had the same issue . Please help

Ryan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast