Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: converting s54 to throttle cable

My Cars
    5 Series Sport Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by techno550 View Post
    DBW offers more precise control over everything than a throttle cable can.

The "feel" of the throttle cable is just friction and spring tension. You can emulate all of that. (hell, you can put the throttle pot at the end of a gunked up old cable with a rusty spring if you really want to.)

I said what I did because it showed that it was a technology some haven't used yet. DBW can be *faster* and *more responsive* than a cable. It can also offer more precise control.
    I agree what you said BUT BMW hasn't figured it out what their customers want out of a drive by wire as far as I am concerned. I have been in a number of BMW's that have horrible throttle manners. ///J.T.///
    Lot's of new stuff hope it stays together a little longer. LOL

My Cars
    Chevrolet Silverado 2500
    Only reason I'd choose cable vs. DBW is troubleshooting. I'm running motec on my S54 which is capable of handling DBW but opted to keep the cable and use the Sunbelt system. I've seen problems w/ the DBW after being in the garage next to RJ Valentine's PTG F1 Air car. While I am sure it is great when working and when you have electrical engineers around, it could be overwhelming for an amateur driver/club racer. I'd definitely go ahead and buy the Sunbelt setup as the VAC setup has the most awkward hinge point and with a 5.5" clutch, makes leaving the pits a smoke show.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by techno550 View Post
    I said what I did because it showed that it was a technology some haven't used yet. DBW can be *faster* and *more responsive* than a cable. It can also offer more precise control.

Why not get a real standalone that can handle DBW?
    Did you read what I said before you quoted me? I am saying, get an ECU that can use the DBW, as its better.

My Cars
    several
    okay guys, DBW isnt really an option. anybody else done the conversion without using the kit?

My Cars
    several
    bump

My Cars
    90 e30m, 99 323, 93 e36 race car,00 dinan m5
    here's how i did mines, i took a e36 throttle body, cut off the pivot piece, took off the bracket that holds the gas cable, a piece off plate 4" x 4", the gas cable is actually from a older 5 series (shorter), the pedal feel is like stock, i also have a pedal stop at the gas pedal not to over stress the the linkage, everything is adjustable till u get the pivot angle that give u full throttle, drill holes bolt down, this works for me , total cost, a gas cable if yours is too long,
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    several
    that is EXACTLY what i'm looking for. thank you so much

how is the response?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeiskaos View Post
    that is EXACTLY what i'm looking for. thank you so much

how is the response?
    like stock, remember to have some kind of throttle stop under the gas pedal, adjust it to full throttle, so u don't stress the linkage assy at full throttle,

My Cars
    several
    i believe you sir have just saved me $400. that looks awesome.

got a build thread somewhere? that there is a monster e30

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeiskaos View Post
    i believe you sir have just saved me $400. that looks awesome.

got a build thread somewhere? that there is a monster e30
    http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32488

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by got psi View Post
    servo motor = throttle lag = fail and gettin passed by the competitor

///J.T.///
    Incorrect, try again

It all comes down to the tune. From factory the drive-by-wire is rediculous because it "adapts" to the driver so it's always changing its responsiveness. Throw a decent standalone on that bish and it'll be all good.

Deagle on this forum would have a lot more input on this since he's actually working on a BMW Motorsport (or PTG, can't remember) S54. And what do you know...no cables
    Last edited by mazur; 04-07-2009 at 07:11 PM.

My Cars
    2 e30's
    Well Mazur, there are 11 cables. I like to call them conductors. All those, some digital processing by motec, and you get a freaking touchy throttle pedal. I doubt that anybody who disses DBW can outrun a proper DBW setup.

My Cars
    several
    this is going to be fun:

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    awwhh.. I was doing a little research on S54 throttle cable conversion and came across this thread. So many old-heads in here that use to post all the time! *sigh* memories.
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12