Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what less than $500 headers???

My Cars
    530i, 325es

what less than $500 headers???

ok so i had a couple of project... some still ongoing... but yeah spring is here... some performance time..

so i was reading up on gumbi's LSD writeups and we came to a part where he was looking at headers next... well jackeatsemokids brought something up that intrigued me...
    Quote Originally Posted by JackEatsEmoKids View Post
    AA headers are ebay headers with coating! Ask me how I know.
    well i also read up on e46 fanatics cause alot of the guys have done this
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=ebay+header

so some specifics of the difference of m54 headers are none... i did some research on supersprint's website and the z3/e46/z4/x3/e39 that all share the m54 engine use the same part no header... ill see if the O2 bungs are different but it looks good so far...
    use pn.022 787 401 (from supersprint) and search both supersprintna.com /eurosportdesign.com... the results

http://www.eurosportdesign.com/searc...++++++++++++++[req][len%3D3][blankalert%3DPlease+enter+something+to+search+for!]%0D%0A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i talked to http://www.performancecoatings.com/ to see how much it is to coat the headers... they said inside and out would be $200 so the total is running about 400

its also best to run new oem gaskets and copper studs... so im assuming 50 at the most...

also to run without cats and not get any faults you need to run defoulers to space the o2 sensors and not be in the exhaust gas to fool the sensors the post cat ones atleast.... in seattle we only get a OBDII test if we pass or fail inspection so easy enough...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...lug+non-fouler

well finally to get them in it should cost between 150-200 im assuming... im gonna ask my shop when i get my abs module recoded...

finally here are the pics...

well some foot notes...

the difference between m54 and m52 headers

m54 are longer and may have different flange directions... the m52 are significantly shorter but can be bought and adjusted by your shop... but i bought m54 specific ones...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270364405939&sspagenam e=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

heres where i got my headers from... according to the e46 guys this seller is reliable to send M54 headers
    Last edited by quacktoduck; 04-03-2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    bump

update i got the headers in... im getting them pressure tested and check the welds they looked ok... but id rather be sure before i put them in... then off to the ceramic coaters... then into my car... wish me luck
    Last edited by quacktoduck; 04-03-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    quack my attention span is really short .. can you give me a cliff note verison ..
    does the thing fit or what
    and any idea the labor cost?

1998 540IA Arctic Silver, OEM M-Tech Bumpers, Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit, MKII Motorsport 18x8.5 and 18x10, M5 Style Mirrors, ACS Style Trunk and Roof Spoiler, OEM Hella Xenon Headlights 4300k blubs, Slim HID 3K Projector Fogs, Euro Hella Celis Taillights, OEM M5 Kidney Grill, 35% tint, magnaflow 18415

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    i havent put them on yet... its a begining thing... havent checked fitment... theyre getting pressure tested then onto the ceramic coaters then to fitment... my shop works at 85 bucks an hour... and like 2-3 hours for the install... i can do it but id rather not waste my time... but im excited cause im sure catless will be great for my dsc module and for the headers with cats on them off my car... but as i wrote... all the m54s have the same headers cause supersprint lists them all the same... same part no etc etc....

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Hey Quacks. I got your im. I went through it and i remember reading that about a year ago as well. I MIGHT do headers but not on the top of my list. Forked out bucks for a bbk and wheels are around the corner. Be the guinea pig!!

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    yeah will be the first e39 with them...

My Cars
    05 Audi A4
    cant wait for the outcome. hope it all turns out positive

My Cars
    Blown 530
    OK Quak, now that you have the headers take a look at the inside of them. I bought a set of these ebay headers to compare to SS ones I have. There were some minor differences, but two things should be noted. Check for protruding o2 bungs into the exhaust flow, and the inner joint of the exhaust flange to the pipe, it should be a smooth transition..

And talk about getting no credit....
    Last edited by Jackcat559; 04-04-2009 at 07:49 AM.

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    1Nawty5 has them on his 5 already. But he bought some other ebay ones....those bolted up.

But I'm telling you, they won't bolt on to the bottom of your exhaust...I've done this before to other 5's.

And you might have to clean up the o2 bongs and ports of the header. Good luck!!!

You shoudl really get a cat....trust me. www.easterncatalytic.com get a 200 cell metallic cat.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Yep, he's lookin' at a whole new system.

Be careful with the cheaper coatings. I've seen a few flake after a year or two
    Last edited by Jackcat559; 04-04-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    05 Audi A4
    take some close up pics of the headers whens you recieve em so we can check out the quality

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    1Nawty5 has them on his 5 already. But he bought some other ebay ones....those bolted up.

But I'm telling you, they won't bolt on to the bottom of your exhaust...I've done this before to other 5's.

And you might have to clean up the o2 bongs and ports of the header. Good luck!!!

You shoudl really get a cat....trust me. www.easterncatalytic.com get a 200 cell metallic cat.
    hey are you sure the people you put the headers in for bought the right headers it's a known prblem with the eBay vendors that they send out 328/528(m52) headers
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackcat559 View Post
    Yep, he's lookin' at a whole new system.

Be careful with the cheaper coatings. I've seen a few flake after a year or two

My Cars
    Blown 530
    yep, that's why when you PM'd me about the cost of installing these type headers in my my e39 I gave you a total final $$$ including new pipes, cat, muffler...

My Cars
    2 Boosted,1 more left to

Thanks would the 200 cell metallic work for a 540?

Quote Originally Posted by quacktoduck View Post
    i havent put them on yet... its a begining thing... havent checked fitment... theyre getting pressure tested then onto the ceramic coaters then to fitment... my shop works at 85 bucks an hour... and like 2-3 hours for the install... i can do it but id rather not waste my time... but im excited cause im sure catless will be great for my dsc module and for the headers with cats on them off my car... but as i wrote... all the m54s have the same headers cause supersprint lists them all the same... same part no etc etc....
    Good luck with your project.

Checked the site race cats good for up to 4.0L. Question answerd
    Last edited by 1NAWTY5; 04-04-2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

E39 LSX SWAP PARTS FORSALE

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    my headers got pressure tested and they are good... they are going to the ceramic coaters next...

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Cool.
    A header (one that fits perfectly) install is a MAJOR PITA. If there is any fab work or issues involved, you are looking at one big fat install bill.

DIY that or you will get reamed.

Also, if they are of decent stainless steel, there is no real need to coat them. Ceramic coating is really to preserve mild steel headers and/or racers w/ SS headers who want to keep underhood temps a bit lower. For a NA street car, I would not bother coating SS headers . . .
    Garrett

My Cars
    05 Audi A4
    whats the update on the headers?

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    just been waiting for my next paycheck... then they go to the coaters... i got some led lights for the members here and im just doing that...

My Cars
    05 Audi A4
    koo. let me know how they fit cuz i want headers too =)

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    just been waiting for my next paycheck... then they go to the coaters... i got some led lights for the members here and im just doing that...
    I got mine tuesday...$106 shipped for an E36, I'm just going to flange them myself and finish my exhaust.

Good luck with yours!
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    I got mine tuesday...$106 shipped for an E36, I'm just going to flange them myself and finish my exhaust.

Good luck with yours!
    nice... i dont have welding equipment and all.. but im glad i got them... you gonna ceramic coat them??

ganesht is offline (oOO)\(lll)°(lll)/(OOo) BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    98 528i 5 speed
    slightly off topic, but does anyone know if our stock pipes are ceramic coated? only inside/both?
    Alida:
    Born: Friday, 9th January 1998
    Arktissilber Metallic on Schwarz 528i/5

Claudia:
    Born: Friday, 2nd May 2003
    Sterlinggrau Metallic on Schwarz 540i/6

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    BUMP!
    What's going on with this?
    Updates?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    i got my set for a m52 before now they are the correct m54 set, gonna get them leak tested, then im gonna send the mout to the ceramic coaters next week, then off the get them installed...

My Cars
    2014 435i, 2004 M3 vert
    i got my set for a m52 before now they are the correct m54 set, gonna get them leak tested, then im gonna send the mout to the ceramic coaters next week, then off the get them installed...
    i want this for my 8 cyl.. any knowledge on that engine?
    hi i'm nickmanderfield.com and i hang out on the internets,
    i also recently started to sell carbon fiber coasters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast