Thread: Clutch master cylinder rebuild/Slave cylinder rebuild

My Cars
    '96 328is

Clutch master cylinder rebuild/Slave cylinder rebuild

How hard/trivial is this to do? and is it worth it?

I found a thread on the e21 board about it being simple:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1200583

I dont know if that applies to e30s as well. I found some rebuild kits for $14.

However I read on a rebuild how to page for de Tomaso Panteras that you need to hone the cylinders out if they have pitting.

Has anyone here ever done this?

anyone?
    Last edited by Shadow86325e; 03-29-2009 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    92 525it, 07 328i
    Just buy new ones,,,, they are cheap and not worth the effort of rebuilding.. I just replaced my slave for $35. It is a very easy job,, hardest part is bleeding.

check out r3vlimited.com for a diy
    Last edited by naplese30; 03-29-2009 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    The decision to rebuild or replace is based on the problem. If the problem is a torn seal, you can rebuild. If there is rust pitting, you will pretty much have to replace the metal parts. Honing a pitted cylinder won't fix a problem. (Polishing a good looking cylinder may be useful, but even that is questionable.)

There is another consideration. The rebuild kit for the input/master cylinder is under $20, and it's easy to install. In contrast the slave cylinder rebuild kit isn't much less expensive than the whole assembly, the toothed retaining ring is a PITA to remove and the original part is probably pretty corroded.

Some people claim it's best to replace both the input/master and output/slave cylinders together if either fails. That's silly. If it's only a torn seal, just replace the seal assembly. If the problem is corrosion on a cylinder, all cylinders should be suspect. The clutch and brake systems share the same fluid, and if one has rusted they all may have rust. You should inspect everything, not just the clutch cylinders, and replace based on condition.

I did a write-up on replacing the clutch master cylinder piston assembly a while back -- do a search. You do it without jacking up the car if you need to. I do suggest buying or borrowing a 10mm GearWrench -- it will make removing the master cylinder mounting bolts much less frustrating.