Thread: 2 way after market alarm and kill switch

My Cars
    none

2 way after market alarm and kill switch

Do any of you guys have either of these installed in your car? If you have any information on which systems are good on a 3-series that would be very helpful.

Thanks, and yes I do have reason to be paranoid.....unfortunately.

Nobody knows anything about this?
    Last edited by Xlash; 03-27-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 325xi 2007 GSXR 600
    i have a 2 way Viper alarm, what are you looking to know

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    Just go with the stock optional alarm. You can install all the parts yourself and then have the dealer activate it. Its a great system, unless you feel you should have a locator system installed... No need for a killswitch, these cars won't start without your unique key anyways.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by boardspinna View Post
    i have a 2 way Viper alarm, what are you looking to know
    I want to know if adding a 2-way alarm is going to mess with the car's electrical system.

Which Viper model do you have? I want to see what the features and the range is. I don't care about remote start. I just want to protect the hell out of my car.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
    Just go with the stock optional alarm. You can install all the parts yourself and then have the dealer activate it. Its a great system, unless you feel you should have a locator system installed... No need for a killswitch, these cars won't start without your unique key anyways.
    A kill switch (from what I know) is connected directly to the engine i.e. bypasses the ECU which means even if the thieves were to replace the ECU with theirs (which would render the immobilizer feature useless) they still won't be able to start the car.

My Cars
    E60 M5, 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlash View Post
    I want to know if adding a 2-way alarm is going to mess with the car's electrical system.

Which Viper model do you have? I want to see what the features and the range is. I don't care about remote start. I just want to protect the hell out of my car.

A kill switch (from what I know) is connected directly to the engine i.e. bypasses the ECU which means even if the thieves were to replace the ECU with theirs (which would render the immobilizer feature useless) they still won't be able to start the car.
    The immobilizer system is separate from the ecu. If they replace the ecu all they are doing is just taking out the car's computer for the engine lol.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckaGDog View Post
    The immobilizer system is separate from the ecu. If they replace the ecu all they are doing is just taking out the car's computer for the engine lol.
    Are you sure? Since this is a BMW and I am just starting to learn about these cars I don't know for sure. So that begs the question what houses the codes in the car that has to match those of the key for the car to start?

In my RSX-S, the code in the chip that was embedded in the key fob had to match the key in the ECU. So if a thief wanted to steal the car (which he did), all he had to do was replace the ECU under the passenger side dash with his programmable one (which had the immobilizer function disabled) and hot wire the car.

My Cars
    E60 M5, 330i ZHP
    Are you sure? Since this is a BMW and I am just starting to learn about these cars I don't know for sure. So that begs the question what houses the codes in the car that has to match those of the key for the car to start?

In my RSX-S, the code in the chip that was embedded in the key fob had to match the key in the ECU. So if a thief wanted to steal the car (which he did), all he had to do was replace the ECU under the passenger side dash with his programmable one (which had the immobilizer function disabled) and hot wire the car.
    Yes i am sure. The immobilizer system is also known as the ews system. It is separate from the ecu. The factory bmw alarm system is very good. No doubt about it, but if you want a 2 way pager thing you should be able to install the needed items for the pager without a problem. But if you want to do a kill switch or fuel pump kill switch and you are messing with the wiring harness you are asking a heap of trouble. Most likely you will blow a fuse and mess up the electrical system. And without the proper key the car's fuel pump and starter would be disabled. And hot wiring the car would just disable it also. If you want to be extremely cautious i'd suggest lo jack.

My Cars
    none
    I was reading on E46fanatics that the only feature the E46 alarm system is missing is the dual shock sensor along which a few people add on. Can you explain how this is beneficial?

I think I'll add the 2-way alarm and skip everything else. I have heard a lot of negative stuff about lojack because it isn't associated with GPS but rather local transeivers which are prone to losing connection. So if the thieves manage to take the car out of the transeiver's radius you're car is gone for good.

My Cars
    E60 M5, 330i ZHP
    I was reading on E46fanatics that the only feature the E46 alarm system is missing is the dual shock sensor along which a few people add on. Can you explain how this is beneficial?

I think I'll add the 2-way alarm and skip everything else. I have heard a lot of negative stuff about lojack because it isn't associated with GPS but rather local transeivers which are prone to losing connection. So if the thieves manage to take the car out of the transeiver's radius you're car is gone for good.
    Oh well a dual shock sensor is a sensor the just detects shock, for example someone bumping into your car like a hit and run or someone vandalizing your car. The sensor on the top of the headliner on the inside of the car (if you have the factory alarm installed) just detects window breakage and motion. It doesn't detect shock hence why people add the dual shock sensor. I think if you install the factory alarm and 2 way pager you should be definitely more than good.

My Cars
    2005 325ci
    I am abit confused here on my 05 325ci. I have all the appearances of having an alarm, but I cant set the d4mn thing off. It has the lil red blinking light below mirror. Park lights flash when it locks/unlocks. I ordered the Manual for it, and it doesnt really explain much to me. If this is like my 2003 Chevy Z71, then the "alarm" is just a glorified "Vehichle is locked/unlocked" system. What am I doing wrong? I thought all late model BMW's were standard with a factory alarm. If so, then I want an additional alarm installed, for my pickup was stolen with the so called factory alarm. Any help or criticism is needed from fellow Bimmer lovers! Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    2001 325xi 2007 GSXR 600
    http://www.viper.com/P-5301V/Viper+5...e+Start+System

i have had no electrical problems and the alarm/remote start/ shock sensor is working great, the remote actually went bananas when someone broke my window back in the fall. it works fairly far from the vehicle. im very satisfied

My Cars
    2005 325ci
    Thanks spinna!! I think I found exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for the link also