Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a 2006 750LI.. worth it?

My Cars
    2001 740iL

Looking to buy a 2006 750LI.. worth it?

Hi Guys,

i have a 2001 740IL with 108K in a beautiful condition and never been out in winter but i was looking at the 750LI and was wondering if it was worth it to change and what were the main differences between the 2001 and the 2006 for example? Any major problems with this model??

Thanks guys

William!

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    Interior is a huge step up! Lots of additional features and options. The car also drives smoother but doesn't feel anymore sporter than the E38 in my opinion. They seem like really nice cars. My wife and I our thinking about upgrading our 00' 740IL to a 04 745li but are a little reluctant because of the service our E38 has required over the years. We are really torn between the Audi A8 and the 745li but we have heard that Audi's can be worse in reliability really hit and miss with those.. i guess?
    Aston Martin DB9 Blue
    Porsche Cayenne Turbo Black
    Porsche 944 Turbo Black/black
    Porsche 928 S4 Black/tan
    Porsche 928 S4 Cassirot/Lienen
    Toyota MR2 AW11 Red

My Cars
    01 330Cic, 07 750Li
    I can't speak to the 2001 740iL, but if that is it in your sig, that is a good looking car.

I have a 2007 750Li and it is by far the best car I have owned. From what I read on the forums, those who have the 2006 model seem to be very happy with their cars as well.

There are the annoying little things that can go wrong, but I'm sure as a bmw veteran, you are aware of those......however any little annoyances are more than worth it in my opinion.

For the record, my 2007 has had only one problem with the comfort access system that was fixed under warranty and no problems since. Other than that, just routine maintenance.

Good luck!

My Cars
    09 750i, 05 corvette
    I also have an 06 750i and I must say that the car drives wonderfully, when I everything is working. I too have problem with comfort access which works intermittently and a wind noise originates from sunroof. They attempt to correct both problems several times but unsuccessful. Since it's a leased car, I've given up on leaving my car there for weeks to get the problems rectify. My lease is up soon and I'll probably LEASE a '10 750, only because no big cars drive like it. Btw, 06 is the year that they really clean up the bangle's look quite nicely.

My Cars
    BMW M3 E36, 750i E65

my 2006 750i

I agree with everyone here, the 2006 750i is the best car I ever own. Top notch interior, impressive performance (faster than my E36 M3), gas mileage is reasonable (23 highway).

I bought the car certified at 60k miles, I had the car for 2 months now, and I do not have any problem with it.

The drive is smooth, and powerful if needed.

If the price is right, get it.

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 97 740i
    Absolutely! Just took delivery of my 06 750Li and am thrilled to have it. Keeping my 97 740i with 206,000 mile on it for when my 16 year old can drive. Tried the Audi A8L and it was nice, but can't touch the Beemer.

My Cars
    01 330Cic, 07 750Li
    Quote Originally Posted by jayman13 View Post
    Absolutely! Just took delivery of my 06 750Li and am thrilled to have it. Keeping my 97 740i with 206,000 mile on it for when my 16 year old can drive. Tried the Audi A8L and it was nice, but can't touch the Beemer.

Congratulations! You made a great choice......enjoy it.

My Cars
    Black 2002 745Li, white 1997 740iL
    I've had my 740iL for two years and my 745Li for one year. The 745 definitely feels detached from the road compared to feeling every variation in road texture in the 740 (I have Eibach springs on the 740, but you definitely feel the road more even with the stock springs). This feeling of being more disconnected from the road was odd to me at first, but I've grown to really like it a lot. The 745 feels much, much more surefooted on curves and on every surface compared to the 740 (and I was impressed with the 740!). Also, I don't have electronic damping on either car.

As Dan said, the interior is a huge step up, and I know the I-Drive is a debated topic, but I personally love it. Overall the interior just looks and feels like it is put together better.

PDC is VERY necessary, as you can't even come close to seeing the front or rear of the car.

Oh, and find one with every feature available for that year -- there is no reason not to with today's prices.

My Cars
    7 series
    an e65 looks like a modern car when compared to an e38
    - 2008 BMW 535i - 2007 SUZUKI GSXR-750 - 2003 BMW 745i SOLD -

My Cars
    Yeah, I can drive them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan87951 View Post
    Interior is a huge step up! Lots of additional features and options. The car also drives smoother but doesn't feel anymore sporter than the E38 in my opinion. They seem like really nice cars. My wife and I our thinking about upgrading our 00' 740IL to a 04 745li but are a little reluctant because of the service our E38 has required over the years. We are really torn between the Audi A8 and the 745li but we have heard that Audi's can be worse in reliability really hit and miss with those.. i guess?
    Get the Audi. Trust me, it is a MUCH nicer car. I have an 05 745 Li and an 09 A8L. The Audi handles more to my liking, is much quieter inside, has better low end torque and a much larger rear seating area.

The 745 will likely be my last BMW. Its not a bad car, it is perfectly reliable (though it has needed some shop time, but no more than the e38 did). It looks good and drives good. Gas mileage is super. I'm just getting a bad feeling out of BMW these days. They seem to be "dumbing down" their cars. Maybe the next generation will be better, but they are far from the Ultimate driving machine these days.

My Cars
    BMW M3 E36, 750i E65

wind noise

It is true that there is a bit of wind noise inside the 750i, especially when you have the inner liner open for the sunroof.

My Cars
    2004 VW R32

me too

I too am looking to buy an 06/07 750Li within the next year at most year and half (will be first Beemer) . I'm just curious as to the over all cost to upkeep and the reliability/ longevity i can get out of this vehicle, as well as known issues with these years?
    Last edited by tkhubley; 04-23-2009 at 10:24 AM.

My Cars
    2005 745Li 21" 128's
    Quote Originally Posted by T56 Impala View Post
    Get the Audi. Trust me, it is a MUCH nicer car. I have an 05 745 Li and an 09 A8L. The Audi handles more to my liking, is much quieter inside, has better low end torque and a much larger rear seating area.

The 745 will likely be my last BMW. Its not a bad car, it is perfectly reliable (though it has needed some shop time, but no more than the e38 did). It looks good and drives good. Gas mileage is super. I'm just getting a bad feeling out of BMW these days. They seem to be "dumbing down" their cars. Maybe the next generation will be better, but they are far from the Ultimate driving machine these days.
    Hard to compair an 05 745 to an 09 A8.... sould be 05 to 05 or 09 to 09 right ?

There is alot to think about here, do your research and drive the cars, we did and ended up with the BMW.

For us its and over all value... We wanted a 04 or newer 745i or 750i and had color compos picked out that we where looking for. We ended up with a 2005 745Li with 16K miles, we did not need and L and did not get the color compo that we hoped for. But we got a rocken deal and a super clean and very well equipped car, from the orginal owner.

These cars can have there problems, most cars do, but when buying used at 70% off the orginal price how can you beat them ??? Really ??
    Last edited by Karlc; 05-12-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    M5, 750Li, 328i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlc View Post
    These cars can have there problems, most cars do, but when buying used at 70% off the orginal price how can you beat them ??? Really ??
    Even better deal if you buy one with a CPO warranty and/or extended maintenance. Then you'll have your bases covered for 6 years or 100,000 miles.

My Cars
    750iL
    I now have a 2006 750iL for one week. Bought it with just 3,700 miles. Yes, little old ladies do buy cars they don't drive! I had two Volvo S80s in row prior to this car. The car is totally amazing. I don't have it long enough to comment about some of this issues mentioned here, but it sure is comfy and looks great. 2006 has new engine, improved looks, and improved iDrive.

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2003 Z4
    Purchased my 06 750 Li(29K) two weeks ago with CPO and extended maintence warranty. I came from Saab's. Always wanted the beemer but had to let the little lady get her Z4 first. This is a great car. I loved the feel. Does take awhile to learn the idrive but I hear it's better than the earlier models.

My Cars
    7 series
    i never had a problem using i-drive

i think its only old people who have issues with it
    - 2008 BMW 535i - 2007 SUZUKI GSXR-750 - 2003 BMW 745i SOLD -

My Cars
    E32
    Just purchased a 2006 750li 2 weeks ago. It is a CPO BMW with 18,000 miles on it. Got a great deal and jumped on it. Bought it at Vista BMW in Pompano Beach Fl. If you are looking to buy one go here first. Talk to Sam. I'm having mine shipped to Texas for $600.

My Cars
    2006 750LI
    I love mine. Had a 04 745 & it had nothing but problems with the computer system. My 750 has been problem free so far.

My Cars
    540 I 6 Speed Sport Package
    i have an 02 745i for sale w/less than 60k. definiteley worth getting into the new 7

btw: my 02 doesnt have electrical probs
    BMW FAN

My Cars
    2006 750Li

Love My Car

Just bought a 2006 750il. Low miles, CPO. Best car I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by BobSC View Post
    I can't speak to the 2001 740iL, but if that is it in your sig, that is a good looking car.

I have a 2007 750Li and it is by far the best car I have owned. From what I read on the forums, those who have the 2006 model seem to be very happy with their cars as well.

There are the annoying little things that can go wrong, but I'm sure as a bmw veteran, you are aware of those......however any little annoyances are more than worth it in my opinion.

For the record, my 2007 has had only one problem with the comfort access system that was fixed under warranty and no problems since. Other than that, just routine maintenance.

Good luck!

What exactly was the problem with yor comfort access system

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen View Post
    It is true that there is a bit of wind noise inside the 750i, especially when you have the inner liner open for the sunroof.

Mine does it too
    Last edited by monacoblue; 06-27-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    01 330Cic, 07 750Li
    Just bought a 2006 750il. Low miles, CPO. Best car I've ever owned.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSC

Good luck!

What exactly was the problem with yor comfort access system

I had a battery drain that the dealership couldn't figure out. Turns out that it was one of the door handles that was not going into "sleep mode" and because it wasn't...it was constantly using up battery juice. This was difficult for the dealership to figure out, but once they did, they ordered an entire new door handle assembly (from Germany of course) and replace it under warranty. No problems since and it has been about a year!

Also, I was having a little wind noise when my sunroof shade was open. I mentioned it to the dealer and they did some adjustments.....and now no more wind noise. I think most folks think the wind noise issue is just a fact of life with these cars, but the dealer was easily able to correct mine.

My Cars
    2006 750Li

Great!

I'm taking mine in to get the wind noise taken care of.

My Cars
    06 750Li, 91 300zxTT
    I hear about all this wind noise but have never experienced it. I bought my 06 750li this year on the 4th of june so I guess I havent had it long enough to give an accurate opinion. But I love the car and no problems at all so far. I say go ahead and get one.

My Cars
    Lexus GX470
    Bob, sharp car! The purple really works.

A low mileage 06 can be had for 29k?
    sold: 97 M3 Boston Green/Modena
    Bilstein PSS9 coilovers - LTW rims - X-Brace - Redline Leather Boot - ZHP Knob - Depo Lights - ECS 10mm front spacers - TMS rotors and stainless lines

2008 528i 6 speed
    ESR Rims - Michelin Pilot Tires - M-Sport kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast