Thread: 2003 shuts off after 20 mins of driving. Re-starts if car sits for 15 mins.

My Cars
    996, S13, E46 E36, C4

2003 shuts off after 20 mins of driving. Re-starts if car sits for 15 mins.

Hey guys,

My neighbor has a 2003 7 Series that has a new problem. He said that his car shuts off on him while driving. I asked him if it happens when it's cold. His answer is no. I was able to confirm that it happens when he drives the car for around 20 minutes. He said he the car will start right up when it's cold, drive fine for a while, and then all of the sudden the car will lose power and shutoff.

When the car shuts off, he has to wait around 20 mins before the car will start again. If he tries to start it immediately after it shutdown, it will just crank.

One thing he knows is bad is a hose that runs some secondary pump. He couldn't tell me exactly what the hose is for. He did comfirm that it is bad. He said that it's a common hose to fail on the 7 Series. He said that it's a very labor-intensive hose to replace. It's up against the firewall.

He said that this hose has been a problem for a few months. His cars has been running fine up until a few days ago. Do you think this could be the problem?

Any ideas?

My Cars
    None
    Sounds like the car is overheating... since the car doesnt have a very accessible temperature gauge its hard to tell but that sounds like a high-pressure cooling hose at the back of the engine.

Is the radiator full?

Regardless I would tell him to take it to the shop (towed) ASAP before he ends up breaking the engine.