Thread: Looking for E30 for daily driver

My Cars
    E36 M3, 2002

Looking for E30 for daily driver

I love my E36 M3 which I just got a few months back - I don't think I could ever drive anything else. However since last winter was another ice age, I need something for the winter.

... and I also want another project car

Soo, I was thinking about picking up an E30, but I'm concerned about how it handles in the snow. Note that I'm not interested in getting the ix.

If it can get around in a few inches of snow then I might consider, otherwise I'll probably end up getting a fwd "import". :

My Cars
    E28 M535i
    With lsd and good winter tires it's the most fun car to drive Just a little cautiousness under slippery conditions and you'll be fine

My Cars
    BMW 318is 1991 - VW Scirocco 1983 (winter beater)
    Yes, Jaghaath is right
    - Try to go for an "is" model with LSD
    (318is is awesome!!)
    - Good winter tires are a must
    (mine are studded and I can get through 8" of snow
    with no problem)

A RWD in the winter would also a really good way to improve driving skills with your E36 under wet condition.

Hope you have fun with it!

Py
    Bone stock 1991 318is

My Cars
    E36 M3, 2002
    Hmmm...I'm pleased with what I hear so far. Do all is models have LSD?

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    They ('is' models) are all suppose to have a LSD in the e30 range (unlike the e36 cars).

Granted this was a non-LSD car, but my roomy had 'issues' with his '86 Eta in the snow back in Indiana. I'm pretty sure he was just running M+S tires, so that mighta been most of his problem. But he was saying that he would spin on icey roads at speeds of about 5mph. Not confidence inspiring, so he sold it and got a '01 A4 1.8T Quattro.

You could do it, and I know people do, but just be carefull. You might want to get a '88 or older e30. They have chrome bumpers that take damage a bit better than the plastic ones do. .....just in case.
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    XJ
    What a buddy of mine did was just throw a couple of engine blocks in the trunk and he would make it up hills that suv's with 4- wheel drice couldn't.
    Only in a JEEP

My Cars
    I live in Montreal, Canada. It's needless to say that we here, get tons of snow and icing rain every winter.

There are lot of different winter tires. Some are especially good on thick snow, some are better in ice. I personnaly decided to opt for the best "snow" tires I could afford (Gislaved Nord Frost) and had the garage install studs for a better ice grip. The result are outstanding!!

In winter tmes, some RWD drivers here put sand bags in their trunk for two reasons:
    1- More weight on the rear wheels for better traction
    2- To throw on the ice, in order to help out when some other drivers (with all-season tires) are stuck in a snow bank.

The difference between a RWD and a FWD in the winter is having to deal with understeer instead of oversteer. It takes a lot more skill to recover if you loose the back end of your car but once you've learned how, you will never want change your E30 for any FWD (especially if it's Japanese car )

Py
    Bone stock 1991 318is

My Cars
    88 5000 CS Avant
    I have an 86 325e if you want it for cheap. I picked it up as a daily driver but can't keep both cars on the road; pm me if you're interested. Did I mention I'll let it go for cheap?
    '91 Civic DX race car
    '08 M3

My Cars
    2005 MINI Cooper S
    Originally posted by pyguinard you will never want change your E30 for any FWD (especially if it's Japanese car )

Py [/B]
    Tsk, tsk... I see we have another German [only] car enthusiast. :

My Cars

Moon

Originally posted by Xymox
    Tsk, tsk... I see we have another German [only] car enthusiast. :
    I like sweedish cars too but I would LOVE being able to get a Citroën DS (French) for the winter.

Back in the seventies, my dad used to drive one and it was impressive to see it leave out of a snow bank thanks to its hydraulic suspension!!
    Bone stock 1991 318is

My Cars
    E36 M3, 2002
    How realistic is it for me to find an E30 for ... $2500? The body I can let go, but I want a strong healthy engine.

My Cars
    E28 M535i
    Is this a BMW forum or what?! To bimmerists All other brands should be a very big no no, especially all japanese cars

My Cars
    Originally posted by djKibblez
    How realistic is it for me to find an E30 for ... $2500? The body I can let go, but I want a strong healthy engine.
    Try this link

For your budjet, I think you might be able to find a good 1987-88 specimen, why not?
    Bone stock 1991 318is

My Cars
    M-Sport
    i'll sell you mine, im sure it would make a heck of a daily driver

My Cars
    2005 MINI Cooper S
    Ditto that. Mine's for sale as well.

My Cars
    All of them.
    Originally posted by djKibblez
    I've got an excellent condition 87 325 "is" with auto trans, lsd, and all the power options. Great paint, great body albeit a couple of smallish dents, perfect interior, I'd like to get $2500 for it. I just need to sell it to finance my 90 325i project. Runs and drives excellent.