Thread: Looking for advice on this 97 M3

My Cars
    E46

Arrow Looking for advice on this 97 M3

Alright, give me your advice on this paticular car.

Details:
    97 M3
    Estoril Blue on tan leather
    103,000 miles
    Asking price: $10,700

Good:
    No wrecks (except a new rear bumper)
    paint is in very good condition for its age
    interior pretty good shape
    Motor idles very quiet, sounds good, and pulls good

Recent service done at 82K miles:
    front rotors and pads
    belts
    new thermo
    evaporative tank? apparently a problem with these cars
    tranny and diff fluid
    new PS2 tires with 4k on them
    new OEM windshield

Bad:
    light scuffing on rear bumper from a bumper tap
    slight dent in the hood, roof, drivers side door, but they aren't easily noticeable
    window/glass seals on the oustside really show their age, discolored and cracking in some areas
    radio display has the infamous light pixels
    hasn't had any suspension maintenance, bushings, etc

shifter feels a little sloppy
    rear bushings are probably due for replacement and possibly some other suspension bits.

What do you guys think? Good price for the described condition and miles. It will probably need a radiator and water pump for sure, then some suspension work to freshin it up.

The car spent its first 6 years garaged and last 6 years outside. As I said, the outside window seals/weather stripping shows some discoloration and is cracking/crumbling in some areas. Is that major reason for concern?

Last edited by M3Power13; 03-22-2009 at 12:29 PM.

My Cars
    E368x2 / F15
    I'd say that is a little on the expensive side in todays market. Factor in how much all that maintanence is going to cost you....bushings/suspension/radiator/water pump about 2k plus registration and insurance...personally I don't think its worth it, just be patient and you'll find a better one.

/
    //

My Cars
    E46
    Thanks for the advice. That is what I was thinking too. What price do you think would make it a good buy?

My Cars
    E368x2 / F15
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Power13 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. That is what I was thinking too. What price do you think would make it a good buy?
    Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 7.5 8k. It is a buyers market, I have seen immaculate m3s go for 9k. Just wait it out, I waited 6 months to get mine, it will be worth it.

/
    //

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it

Thumbs down

All I can say is....TOO MUCH!! Just like what other members have said.

My Cars
    '95 M3,'04 ZHP, 01 330Ci
    Mileage is good and it's an odd color combo, but I agree with the above posters. Much depends on where you are in the country. SC should be filthy with E36 M3's. $7500 sounds about right, as you're going to put about $1500 in parts into it immediatly. The way things are, unless you just love the color combo I might pass up on this one and wait for a really nice one to pop up. You can guarentee there will be nicer examples for less within 300 miles of where you are.

If you love the car get a good PPI done and see if the buyer is willing to deal.

My Cars
    E46
    Quote Originally Posted by 284Shooter View Post
    Mileage is good and it's an odd color combo, but I agree with the above posters. Much depends on where you are in the country. SC should be filthy with E36 M3's. $7500 sounds about right, as you're going to put about $1500 in parts into it immediatly. The way things are, unless you just love the color combo I might pass up on this one and wait for a really nice one to pop up. You can guarentee there will be nicer examples for less within 300 miles of where you are.

If you love the car get a good PPI done and see if the buyer is willing to deal.

Good advice. I live in North Carolina. I've been searching like a mad man and haven't come across anything past or present where a good condition E36 M sold for 8-9k. Seems the really nice ones with low miles are all 17k +, 99's with under 100k are around 13-4k, and then 99's with over 100k are just over 10k. But, most of those cars have had the radiator, water pump, and control arm bushings replaced, at the least.

The estoril cars seem to catch a premium, especially with the tan leather. I had set in my mind that $9,800 would be a fair price but I really doubt this guy with drop that far.

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Msilvia View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 7.5 8k. It is a buyers market, I have seen immaculate m3s go for 9k. Just wait it out, I waited 6 months to get mine, it will be worth it.
    no offense but immaculate Ms don't regularly go for 9k. an immaculate e36 M3 is hard to find to begin with, and when they become available noone gives them away for $9k.

now as far as this car goes... it's a nice color combo, mileage isn't bad but you're probably looking at a complete overhaul of the suspension given the mileage and that it hasn't been done yet. Plan on $500-$1000(bushings, shocks/struts, RSMs,Tie Rods, and maybe control arms) if you can DIY at least some of the stuff, or more if you can't and/or you want to upgrade with aftermarket parts. it does have some cosmetic issues as well which can give you some leverage when negotiating. any other maintenance records? if not also plan on a water pump as i don't see it listed($100 at the stealer for OE pump).

They're asking $10,7k ... if this is the car that you want(i.e unique color combo) and mechanically it's sound, i would offer 7500 and see what they say. They wont sell at that price but you should be able to get it for around $8500-$9000, although you should only pay what it's worth to you.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    buyyy it!

My Cars
    2003.5 & 1999 M3 Coupe
    bro what the heck are you talking about? an immaculate M3 is hard enough to find, let alone one for 9k. Look at the 1995 that JUST sold on ebay, 50k miles, a 95, not anywhere near immaculate, whacked in the rear, bad carfax, an early build that needs a ton of maintenance, its purple over dove and it sold for 10k no reserve.

I looked for 8 months to find mine, and its a 9.75 out of 10. i certainly didnt pay 9k for it!

What color tan is it? If its Modena thats a sweet assss combo, based on the history and mileage it sounds like a decent price, maybe 10k. The fact that it sat outside for 6 years is a huge turn off for me personally but I am incredibly anal. I wouldnt buy a car without the original window sticker!

Quote Originally Posted by Msilvia View Post
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe
    Options: SLICKTOP! Sterliing Gray over Black Leather, 6 MT, Manual Seats, Leather & Xenon
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Options: Dakar Yellow over Black Manual Seats
    1988 BMW M3 Coupe
    Options: Alpine White over Black M Tech Cloth

Other rides: 2016 Mercedes Benz G63 AMG, Designo Matte Midnight Black (daily driver)
    1987 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback Coupe, Supercharged Sleeper (garage queen)
    Previous BMWs: 1995 BMW 325is/1995 BMW M3 Coupe/1998 BMW M3 Dinan Coupe/1998 BMW M3 Sedan/2000 BMW 323CI/2000 BMW 528i Sport Sedan/2003 BMW 540i Sport Sedan/2003 BMW M3 Coupe (SMG)/2009 BMW M3 Coupe (6MT)

My Cars
    E46
    As mentioned the car needs all new suspension, water pump, radiator, etc. The damage to the bumper, metal under the trunk HAS to be fixed.

Then the big thing to me is all the weather stripping around the outside of the windows is discolored and crumbling in areas. Some areas to the point it exposes both edges of the glass. I'm afraid water has leaked into the rear quarter panels.

It really is a shame because for the most part the rest of the car is in decent shape.

Just so sad that such a rare car (estoril coupe with magma interior and no sunroof) spent its last 6 years sitting on the street under pine trees baking in the sun.

My Cars
    97 E36
    If you want to be comfortable with purchasing an Estoril M3, buy mine. Other than that, best of luck with whatever you buy.

My Cars
    99 E36 M3
    It took me just over two frustrating years to find my 99 cos I only wanted the best. I've owned it for a little over a year now and also paid a little extra for it but it needed nothing. It was 99% perfect and well preserved. I bought it with 80 000klms (49709.7 miles) on the clock.
    My advice to you, if you haven't already purchased it that is, consider what maintenance a higher mileage car requires and do your sums. If you prefer, delay your purchase as long as possible because soon enough the right one will come along and you'll be much happier with it.