Thread: Bay Area Maintenance

Cool

Can anybody recommend a good place in the bay area, preferably in or as close to San Francisco as possible, to get general maintenance work done (e.g., inspection I and II and oil changes)?

By the way, this is the best M3 bulletin board I've been able to find. Thanks for all the informative postings, Kevlar.

My Cars
    2006 E46 M3 w/ Competition Package; 2005 Lotus Eli
    I go to BMW of San Francisco. I have not been entirely satisfied with their actual mechanics work, but they are top-notch when it comes to attentiveness, promptness, and customer amenities. As far as mechanics, I would say they're better than Weatherford in Berkeley, which is the only other BMW dealership I've dealt with.
    • 2006 E46 M3 ZCP
    • 2005 Lotus Elise

Thanks for the response. I've gone there before, and that's actually where I bought my M3. However, my Inspection II was beyond the service coverage. And, they were charging $800 for it!! I got a recommendation in Santa Clara, and that shop did it for $450. So, I know BMW SF way overcharges. I was hoping to find a reasonably priced place that does good work.

My Cars
    For what it's worth I have heard the most negative comments about Alison BMW in (I believe) San Mateo.

So, BMW SF over-charges? I'll be on the lookout for this. If you do go back to BMW SF, make sure you go upstairs and check out the 3.0CSL Batmobile! (I'll have photos online in two weeks).
    • 2006 E46 M3 ZCP
    • 2005 Lotus Elise

My Cars
    2001 Acura MDX (Hers) Taking Suggestions for mine
    Try Phaedrus in SF.

I've never used them, and don't know their prices, but have heard good things about them. I dropped my car off there to ship the car off to get some body work done, and the place was really clean. They only do BMW's, people were great, and have been around for a long time. Seemed a lot better then SF BMW.

Let me know how you like 'em if you use 'em.

1641 Jackson Street
    San Francisco, ca 94109
    (415) 567-8000
    Silver M3/4
    07/1998-02/05/2004
    May she RIP

My Cars
    Can Phaedrus do warranty work? And Inspection I and II approved by BMW NA?
    • 2006 E46 M3 ZCP
    • 2005 Lotus Elise

I'll have to check that Phaedrus place out. I'll post my experience there afterwards. Thanks, Fatboym.

My Cars
    Jon,
    I don't think they can do work under BMW warranty/service - that's why I haven't used them yet.
    They've got some nice cars there.
    Jon
    Silver M3/4
    07/1998-02/05/2004
    May she RIP

My Cars
    M5, E61

warranty service

Who can do CPO BMW warranty service besides BMW dealers?

Anyone?

Also, If I diagnose the problem at another "more specialized" shop, can I bring the results to the dealer and say "Here, fix THIS!"?

BTW - in terms of service - I've received nothing but the best service from everyone at Concord BMW and @ East Bay BMW...best two dealership experiences I've ever had...

My Cars
    95 M3
    I highly recommend Phaedrus. I go there for all my maintenence needs. They're the ones who performed my tilt-steering retrofit in my 95 M3. Very fair, very professional. If you're in the East Bay, however, I would highly recommend Bavarian Professionals in Berkeley. They do a great job, and the wait for an appointment is never more than a few days. These guys are the ones to go to, especially if you're in a hurry to get your car into service. Stay away from Claridge's and BMW of Stevens Creek. Those shops are substandard at best.

My Cars
    2012 E350
    I concur with Stevens Creek. They suck nuts.

In response to Fatboym's question--I haven't gone to Phaedrus yet. I may not b/c it takes weeks to get an appointment and even then it was kind of pricey. They told me $400 for Inspection I. I think that's about the same as the stealer except that I wouldn't have to wait. But, I might give Phaedrus a try anyways.
    '99 Titanium M3 Coupe

My Cars
    Thanks for the update. good luck, and let us all know where you end up/experience, etc.
    Silver M3/4
    07/1998-02/05/2004
    May she RIP