Thread: Mystery part behind the CD Changer

My Cars
    1996 ACS 850Ci

Mystery part behind the CD Changer

While I was rebooting the car, I pulled the CD changer out. Behind it is a little back box with two white connectors and a crap-load of wires. There's also a relay stuck on the CD changer mount as well that seems pretty unrelated to what's around it.

I don't use a factory radio. Is that box and relay part of the audio system? Can I remove those without any issues?

Right now the changer is out of the car, and I removed the steel mounting bracket for the changer and the mystery box. The mystery box and relay are just laying loose in the trunk at the moment.

Thanks!

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    Sounds like your EDC computer. Do you have any photos?
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    1996 ACS 850Ci
    Yep it says
    EDC4 RDG 12V
    VDO etc...

It's about 4x6 inches.

What's that do? That for the EDC shocks that the previous owner took out when he installed the ACS springs and Bilstein shocks? Do I need that now if so?

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    yup, thats what its for. You dont need it - removed same from my car as well....
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    1996 ACS 850Ci
    Thanks... just got back from pulling it out and driving it around... even pulled the single relay next to it as well. All seems fine.

(Actually better than fine... that green indicator light on the EDC about blinds me compared to the brightness of the rest of the interior at night. Pulling the box = no more green LED blinding me!)

Slightly new quirk on this... still have the EDC out and the relay that was next to it.

On the way to work this morning, over one set of railroad tracks, and then again over one speed bump, I hear the OBC ding at me, the Check Control light on the dash flashes for a tenth of a second while going over the bump, and I look down to see something flash on the OBC, but it disappeared even before I could tell what it said.
    Most bumps didn't have any issue, just the couple of rapid movement smaller bumps seemed to trigger.

Not sure what it's trying to tell me yet, but was wondering if this is common for anyone who has disconnected the EDC unit.
    Last edited by Chuck850; 03-20-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 BMW 850ci m73
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck850 View Post
    On the way to work this morning, over one set of railroad tracks, and then again over one speed bump, I hear the OBC ding at me, the Check Control light on the dash flashes for a tenth of a second while going over the bump, and I look down to see something flash on the OBC, but it disappeared even before I could tell what it said.
    Most bumps didn't have any issue, just the couple of rapid movement smaller bumps seemed to trigger.

Not sure what it's trying to tell me yet, but was wondering if this is common for anyone who has disconnected the EDC unit.
    Hello, I suddenly have a similar problem with my 850ci. Over certain speed or other bumps I hear the OBC gong and the CHECK light on the dash light up for half a second or so. I didn't see a message on the OBC. My EDC is not disconnected so I don't think there is a link with that.
    @Chuck850 : did you found the cause for this problem ? Looking forward to hear from you. Thanks!

Best regards from Brussels.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    That will be the trunk partially opening - I had exactly the same but the warning was too fast until I eventually caught it!
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    1998 BMW 850ci m73
    Hi Timm, interesting what you say. How did you solve this ?

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Cor blimey - it was the second day I had my first 840ci and that's a long time ago! I can distinctly remember pulling at the trunk and it moved a small amount. probably lubricated the lower catch and then adjusted the play with the three bolts that hold the actuator:

The bolts are in slots so the catch can be moved up and down - access is shown in this routine:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/BMW_E3...eplacement.htm
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Even easier than that, first try adjusting the bump stops that are on the lip of the lid. You can adjust them by hand, and moving the rubber bump stop out/down will take up the slack that allows the trunk lid to move when you hit a bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    I should also mention it may be your trunk light wiring shorting. Typically, you will see a license plate light error on the OBC as the first sign.

Not a huge job to fix, but if you are going to do it, do it right and replace the entire section of wiring on both sides. Any BMW trunk wiring harness repair kit should work or you can build your own out of parts. I'll dig up the splice connector number.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    95 BMW 850
    The plastic parts that the bump stop rests on are caved in on my car. I guess I shouldn't have slammed the trunk shut.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 850ci m73
    Finally I found the time to have a look at it.
    I had a look to the trunk wiring around the hinge and I found that one of the wires was broken and another one was damaged.
    After repairing it, no gong and warning light anymore on a bump (so far).
    Thanks to all for your help!