Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Changes at Dealership Required?

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    You will need a torque wrench, the proper sized socket to remove the oil filter cap, a socket wrench for the drain bolt, oil filter, oil, oil drain pan, and some way to get the car up. I use ramps, but you can also just jack the car up and support it with jack stands and chocks at the wheels.

It is really easy. Easier than any other car I have owned.

Make sure you take a little oil and lubricate the rubber gasket and check periodically for the first day or two that there are no leaks at the drain bolt or at the oil filter cap.

I have been using Mobil-1 0W40 with great results verified by a Blackstone oil analysis every 5,000 miles.

Good Luck
    FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware

My Cars
    2016 BMW 320i
    Hello, I like this thread discussing oil change and would like to join the conversation. I had the dealership change the oil at 27k miles on my 320i, and they used 0w-20 which is supposedly all the car has ever seen. (I live in the southeast U.S., hot and humid for most of the year.)

My paranoia begs the question: How do I know they changed the oil? Is the CBS (conditioned based system) smart enough to detect that the viscosity did not change, or does the reset "trick" the computer into thinking the oil was changed regardless? Without a dipstick, is there any easy way to confirm the oil change (and filter) were actually replaced? Who is to say they didn't go to lunch for 2 hours, put 5 miles on the car, and just write it up as if the oil was changed? How would I ever know the difference?

I was charged $155 (although their website had a $89 coupon that I wasn't aware of at the time, and no one bothered to mention). I've always done my own oil changes, but a friend suggested going to the dealership since the car is still under warranty. I appreciate your feedback and input!

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by zookid View Post
    Hello, I like this thread discussing oil change and would like to join the conversation. I had the dealership change the oil at 27k miles on my 320i, and they used 0w-20 which is supposedly all the car has ever seen. (I live in the southeast U.S., hot and humid for most of the year.)

My paranoia begs the question: How do I know they changed the oil? Is the CBS (conditioned based system) smart enough to detect that the viscosity did not change, or does the reset "trick" the computer into thinking the oil was changed regardless? Without a dipstick, is there any easy way to confirm the oil change (and filter) were actually replaced? Who is to say they didn't go to lunch for 2 hours, put 5 miles on the car, and just write it up as if the oil was changed? How would I ever know the difference?

I was charged $155 (although their website had a $89 coupon that I wasn't aware of at the time, and no one bothered to mention). I've always done my own oil changes, but a friend suggested going to the dealership since the car is still under warranty. I appreciate your feedback and input!
    As this thread is 10 yrs old you may not get much in the way of feedback. I agree with using the dealership to do the oil changes while under warranty. I thought you had routine service included for 4 yrs on your car? In any event, there is a modicum of trust with car service/repair. If you don't get a good feeling, or don't trust the shop you go to, do you have another dealership option? As to your question, I assume you could grab a sample of the oil and send it to Blackstone for analysis. You could also put a smudge of nail polish on the oil filter before going in and check when you get the car back to see if they swapped it...

My Cars
    2016 BMW 320i
    Thanks for the reply chickdr, I didn't even notice the thread was so old, and I try not to start a new one if I can find something similar to join in on the discussion. The car is a CPO, and didn't include any service, as I got the "buyer fever" and totally lost patience for any further negotiations. I was excited that it was garage kept, lady driven, low miles, pristine, etc., and had been watching the CPO inventory daily for months.

That is a good idea about the nail polish, but I'm not sure about removing the oil filter cap and using the same o ring, or even how critical it is to get the torque right on it as well as the drain plug. I'm pretty sure everything is on the level with this dealership, but some things didn't add up. And when I noticed the 5 extra miles, and this is during the 11am - 1pm time slot, ...and the mechanics report didn't match up with the service rep, ....I would be easy prey to screw over.

They also insisted I come back at the 3 yr mark, which was last month, and have the brake fluid flushed. Well, I know most if not all experts on here recommend it, but it seems a little weird to me they will let this small engine go 11000 miles between oil changes, but insist to flush/change the brake fluid after just 3 years. I say the risk/reward ratio does not favor the change at this time. (And the oil change should be in the 6000 - 7500 mile range.). But I'm new to BMW. :-)

My Cars
    '07 Z4 3.0si Roadster
    The recommended brake fluid flush interval is actually two years regardless of mileage. Since you live in the humid South, it is even more important as brake fluid absorbs moisture and is what "wears" it out.

As for who does my oil changes (to keep the thread on topic), I still take it to the dealer. As my Z4 is very low mileage, it is only an annual (or so) event and usually I find a coupon on the dealer's website to save a few bucks. At least with the dealer doing the service, I have bona fide records of it being done for when/if I sell the car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12