Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Changes at Dealership Required?

My Cars
    z4

Oil Changes at Dealership Required?

Do you guys go to the dealership to do oil changes and drop the $130? Or do you guys go to private shops and let them do the oil changes for much less $?

My Cars
    07 Z4MC, 95 M3 tracktoy
    I use the dealerships for the services that have already been paid for under the new car 4yr/50k service plan, and do my own changes for the intermediate oil changes, etc. that the plan doesn't cover - or I would use an independent BMW shop if I didn't have time to do it myself.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    BMW does my oil changes... it's covered under the paid service plan. I only change the oil when the car asks for it (approx. every 9-10000 miles). After that paid period is up, I'll take it to my own preferred shop and provide them with the correct oil and filter to do the job.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    I go to an independent shop.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z4
    Thanks for your inputs guys. I just called the two independent BMW service shops that I have in my area and they charge about $100 for the oil change. For the $30, I think I would rather bring it to the dealership and get a loaner car and free car wash. (the car I want to get serviced is out of the pre-paid service plan)

My Cars
    09 Routan 04 Z4 3.0i
    I don’t like people touching my cars. I do all the maintenance.

My Cars
    Z4 coupe
    I hate the 20K mile "official BMW" oil change interval. I do it myself every 7500. Costs about $45 and takes maybe 20 minutes - and I can do it whenever I feel like it.

My Cars
    I don't like people washing my car. If you wonder why, spend some time in the Car Detailing sub-board.

My mechanic charges $80 for an oil change.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    I race my car and change the oil every 5,000 miles. You can easily do it yourself, especially if you are on the normal 15,000 mile program. Do it yourself and do it right.

I also send my oil analysis to Blackstone Labs to have them analyze the health of the engine.

Overkill for normal drivers, but I push the thing pretty hard on summer days.
    FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware

My Cars
    Z4 3.0 si
    Outside the scheduled changes, I have the dealer do an extra change at 7500 miles. With the BMW CCA discount, only comes to $65 or so. Can't do it all that much cheaper myself, never mind that I get to do a test drive or two while I'm waiting.

My Cars
    06 M Roady; 2011 Mini S
    Whaaat? You get a club discount on service? I get a 20% discount at my dealer, but only on parts. the oil and filter alone still come to over $65.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by nlink720 View Post
    I race my car and change the oil every 5,000 miles. You can easily do it yourself, especially if you are on the normal 15,000 mile program. Do it yourself and do it right.

I also send my oil analysis to Blackstone Labs to have them analyze the health of the engine.

Overkill for normal drivers, but I push the thing pretty hard on summer days.
    After 5000 miles what does Blackstone tell you?
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    Sheeeite.. costs me more than $65 to do my OWN oil change in supplies!!

Blackstone tells me all types of stuff. All the metals in the oil, what part of the engine they are from, in what quantity, if the oil's viscosity is still within specs, if there are fluids in the oil like anti-freeze, and a whole litany of other things. They build a history of all these things for the owner's engine, and give trend data.

I could probably do the analysis on a more infrequent basis, but it's like $19 and I compare things like autocross season intervals vs. not, and other things that a 5,000 mile interval can provide. Anal; probably, but I can't afford another M54 engine to be truthful.

I can also mess with different oils, BMW vs. Mobil1 for example, and get feedback.

With things like the common BMW lifter tick for example that occurs after hard driving, even though it is "normal," I feel it is important to know the health of the engine and how much I am wearing it down due to performance driving.
    Last edited by nlink720; 03-21-2009 at 07:26 PM.
    FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware

My Cars
    Z4 3.0 si
    Quote Originally Posted by vicj View Post
    Whaaat? You get a club discount on service? I get a 20% discount at my dealer, but only on parts. the oil and filter alone still come to over $65.
    Yep, they always give the discount, parts and service, and smile while they do so. And no, I don't know the owner, nor am I anyone special. Just another customer. But that's why it's okay by me to let the dealer do the oil change, even tho it's no big deal to do it myself.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by nlink720 View Post
    Sheeeite.. costs me more than $65 to do my OWN oil change in supplies!!

Blackstone tells me all types of stuff. All the metals in the oil, what part of the engine they are from, in what quantity, if the oil's viscosity is still within specs, if there are fluids in the oil like anti-freeze, and a whole litany of other things. They build a history of all these things for the owner's engine, and give trend data.

I could probably do the analysis on a more infrequent basis, but it's like $19 and I compare things like autocross season intervals vs. not, and other things that a 5,000 mile interval can provide. Anal; probably, but I can't afford another M54 engine to be truthful.

I can also mess with different oils, BMW vs. Mobil1 for example, and get feedback.

With things like the common BMW lifter tick for example that occurs after hard driving, even though it is "normal," I feel it is important to know the health of the engine and how much I am wearing it down due to performance driving.
    What I wanted to know really is if they deem that at 5000 miles if the oil is still in good condition or not. I would imagine that at 5000 miles it is still good...

My Cars
    09 Routan 04 Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    What I wanted to know really is if they deem that at 5000 miles if the oil is still in good condition or not. I would imagine that at 5000 miles it is still good...
    Well I am a new BMW owner but I typically send samples in to have them analyzed. I run AMSOIL in my other cars and bikes and send a sample in every 10,000 miles (I usually change it at this time). So far every report I have received back says I could easily run the oil another 10,000 miles and that my engines are healthy. I will more than likely put my Z4 on this same prescription.

I picked up a filter today from the local BMW dealer and it was about $14. Oil will be another $30 and it shouldn't take my much more than 20 minutes to change the oil.
    Last edited by gti20vturbo; 03-22-2009 at 02:45 AM.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
    Well I am a new BMW owner but I typically send samples in to have them analyzed. I run AMSOIL in my other cars and bikes and send a sample in every 10,000 miles (I usually change it at this time). So far every report I have received back says I could easily run the oil another 10,000 miles and that my engines are healthy. I will more than likely put my Z4 on this same prescription.

I picked up a filter today from the local BMW dealer and it was about $14. Oil will be another $30 and it shouldn't take my much more than 20 minutes to change the oil.
    When I was an Amsoil dealer (when I could use their product in my car), we did a experiment with a buddy of mine. We put 22,500 miles on a single batch of oil before he got scared. He changed the filter about half way through, but after analysis of the oil at 22.5k miles, the oil was still in good condition and could have gone longer.

Mind you, it wasn't a track monster... but it was a daily driver which sat in stop and go traffic day in and day out, basically his beater.

My Cars
    Z4 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
    Wow, you get oil for lots cheaper than I manage. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 and can find it for about $5/qt on sale (typically $7). The Z4s take just short of 7 qt for a change so I'm usually in for at least $38 or so just for the oil (and another $10 or so for the filter - which I buy in bulk from Tischer). If you know where I can get 7 qts of Mobil 1 0-40 for $30 let me know and I'll take a case or two.

My Cars
    09 Routan 04 Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by vachss View Post
    Wow, you get oil for lots cheaper than I manage. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 and can find it for about $5/qt on sale (typically $7).

Yeah its probably not fare to use my quoted price for oil, my father-in-law is an Amsoil distributor. I get it a little cheaper than normal. Doesn’t Wal-Mart (yikes) have Mobile One for a decent price?

My Cars
    E36 328is, E39 M5
    I do my own oil changes.. about $40 for the oil and filter with the BMWCCA club discount at the dealer. And both my cars are 3.0's so I double up when buying supplies. Anything beyond that I have a local BMW mechanic do the work. He's good, reliable and fairly priced.
    Lime Rock Park... the most fun you can have in a mile and a half.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Treepusher View Post
    ... nor am I anyone special.
    Aww. We think you're pretty special.

Group hug time!

Last edited by montaillou; 03-23-2009 at 05:59 PM.

My Cars
    Z4 3.0 si
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Aww. We think you're pretty special.

Group hug time!

Lol, I do appreciate that. All I meant was that I'm not some ultra-rich dude who's taken a fleet of Alpina B7's off their hands, or some local politico that might make things tough for them if they didn't come thru with a good price for an oil change. Just an ordinary customer who they treat right every time.

My Cars
    '08 Z4MR
    Quote Originally Posted by Treepusher View Post
    Outside the scheduled changes, I have the dealer do an extra change at 7500 miles. With the BMW CCA discount, only comes to $65 or so. Can't do it all that much cheaper myself, never mind that I get to do a test drive or two while I'm waiting.
    Which dealer do you go to? I'm on the Cape.

My Cars
    Z4 3.0 si
    BMW Gallery in Norwell. Have a good buddy with a Z3 in Barnstable who also swears by them, rather than at them.

My Cars
    2011 328XI Sedan
    Hi All! I have a 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i and I want to do my own oil changes. Is there anything I should know prior to doing so outside of normal car oil changes? i.e. special tools or multiple filters? THANKS!!
    03 Z4 3.0 Titanium Sliver / Blk (Summer Car)
    08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS (winter car)
    03 Mini Cooper S Blk/Blk (Miss you)

06 SAAB 93 Aero Conv. Anniversary (Other half's)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast