Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schrick intake cam oddity

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT

Schrick intake cam oddity

While pulling the head, I noticed something odd about the Schrick intake cam. It is shaped in such a way that it blocks access to one of the head bolts - precluding you from removing the head w/out pulling the intake cam first. And also precluding you from installing the cam prior to replacing the head. Which is really why I'm posting this: it would suck for somebody to swap to schrick cams in the course of doing a HG, only to discover that they can't install the head once they had installed the cams.

I thought this was weird. Or is it?

Check it.

Compare the circled part of the intake cam with the corresponding part of the exhaust cam:

See how it blocks access to the head bolt. Dat ain't right.

Garrett

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Hmmmm .... I'd have to check the cams on my bench, but that does not look right. I have taken out heads with OE, schricks and Sunbelts cams installed without any issues. Are you sure that's a schrick? Maybe it was modified somehow? Balancing?
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Yeah, its a shrick. Apparently they are just like that. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...79&postcount=1

It may just be that my tool is too thick . . . I've been waiting years for a reason to say that.
    Garrett

My Cars
    540i/6 M
    Maybe try grinding down your E socket.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have been able to torque ARPs with Shrick cams in place. For the front two bolts, I have to use a ground down socket. I also have to rotate the cams for maximum clearance for each stud (or groups of studs dependent on that cam location -- but that does not work perfectly if you follow the correct tightening sequence).

I have also replaced old ARPs with new ARPs with Shricks in place.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    My tool is a thick 1/2" e12 socket designed for diff work, I think. I had ordered a 3/8" version from ZDmak for this job, but it still has not arrived - so I used what I had. EDIT: Just checked and the zdmak tool is also 1/2" . . . oh vell. It was not really a problem. Removing the cams, trays and lifters FIRST actually lightened the load considerably and made head removal an easy one man DIY affair. It also eliminated any risk of damaging extended valves upon lift-off.

Even if I have the smaller tool, I will prolly put the head back on w/out the cams installed, too. Just seems easier/safer . . .
    Last edited by Mad Dog 20/20; 03-16-2009 at 05:49 PM.
    Garrett

My Cars
    1990 E34 M5
    Here is a thread that shows the problem of schricks in terms of servicing for shim adjustment for the S38B38. You may want to brows thru the photo's and see if the problems are similar.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34...camshafts.html
    This is where true music is made...

My Cars
    E46 '03 M3 & E36 '95 M3
    Shiznit, I just discovered this tonight. I was all set to remove the last 14 bolts and then I noticed that one dam bolt that is blocked.

I think my work has a bench grinder, so I'll try grinding it and try again.

I have the Zdmak E12 1/2" socket.

1995 M3
    2003 M3

My Cars
    E30S50, E46, E39 M5
    Removing cams is a snap if you know the trick. Screw all that nonsense, just remove the cams and have an easier time of it. I can remove cams in around 20 minutes and install them in the same time.

E46 328Ci
    Carbon Fiber Everything | BBS LM Reps | Koni FSD Eibach Pro Kit | CSL Replica Bumper & Trunklid | Haters Gonna Hate
    Frankenmotor S50 swapped E30 325is.
    Billy Sports | Eibach Pro Springs | IE 22/19 Sway kit | Supersprint Headers | Stealth Straightpipes | Ported Head | 3-Angle Valve Grind | Conforti

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Just grind down a craftsman socket. You can get it past the Shricks for the last two bolts. I have done this several times.

joenationwide is offline Makes Cars Dance BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 M3 (GTS2), 99 M3

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    I rememeber with the stock cams I had to rotate the cams a bit to get access to the bolt but it looks like you cant do that right?

My Cars
    E46 '03 M3 & E36 '95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by savage217 View Post
    I rememeber with the stock cams I had to rotate the cams a bit to get access to the bolt but it looks like you cant do that right?
    Right. If you look closely, there is a ring on the Shrick that just gets in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Just grind down a craftsman socket. You can get it past the Shricks for the last two bolts. I have done this several times.
    Cool, I hope my work has a bench grinder. If not, I am sure I can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by triggrhaapi View Post
    Removing cams is a snap if you know the trick. Screw all that nonsense, just remove the cams and have an easier time of it. I can remove cams in around 20 minutes and install them in the same time.
    With my luck, I would be the first person to snap the camshafts.

I've removed cams from other cars without hesitation, but I can't bring myself to yank these off.
    Last edited by vertius; 05-10-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1995 M3
    2003 M3

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    I have Schricks and can remove the head with the cams in place using the special head bolt socket. Standard head bolts, not ARP, Raceware etc.

Looking at a photo of my head on the bench (hmmm, that reads oddly!) I can just about see the ring that could be in the way, but apparently it wasn't.

Neil

My Cars
    E46 '03 M3 & E36 '95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    I have Schricks and can remove the head with the cams in place using the special head bolt socket. Standard head bolts, not ARP, Raceware etc.

Looking at a photo of my head on the bench (hmmm, that reads oddly!) I can just about see the ring that could be in the way, but apparently it wasn't.

Neil
    Honestly, I don't even think it would even matter which head bolts are there. I can't even get the socket down far enough.

I think it is just that one section too.

1995 M3
    2003 M3

My Cars
    '86 E30S50, '12 VW GTI
    I’m reviving an oooold topic here.
    I’m having this same problem. I can’t even come close to fitting a 12mm docket in the hole to us ARP studs...let alone the E12 socket or special tool. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT8 (sold)

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Beej View Post
    I’m having this same problem. I can’t even come close to fitting a 12mm docket in the hole to us ARP studs...let alone the E12 socket or special tool. Any tips?

Sure ... remove the cams

My Cars
    '86 E30S50, '12 VW GTI

Schrick intake cam oddity

Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    Sure ... remove the cams
    My concern with that is that I have some stronger valve springs. I just picked the head up from the machine shop and he said he had to clamp the whole cam down to get the valve springs to compress. I’m afraid if I take it off, I may not get it back on.
    Last edited by Beej; 07-19-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT8 (sold)

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    My concern with that is that I have some stronger valve springs. I just picked the head up from the machine shop and he said he had to clamp the whole cam down to get the valve springs to compress. I’m afraid if I take it off, I may not get it back on.
    Sure you can ... we do it all the time with massive cams and supertech springs. It's a bit of a pita, but it can be done.

Use the pelican cam removal method, but when you get to the last step (ie, when you're about to totally remove the final cap nuts), just rotate the cam a bit to take pressure off the spring. To install, do the opposite. Place the cam slightly rotated until you can get the nuts started, then rotate into the proper position, which will compress the springs. I'm about to install some big ass cams in the next couple days, so I can take some pics of a vid showing how I do it.

My Cars
    '86 E30S50, '12 VW GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    Sure you can ... we do it all the time with massive cams and supertech springs. It's a bit of a pita, but it can be done.

Use the pelican cam removal method, but when you get to the last step (ie, when you're about to totally remove the final cap nuts), just rotate the cam a bit to take pressure off the spring. To install, do the opposite. Place the cam slightly rotated until you can get the nuts started, then rotate into the proper position, which will compress the springs. I'm about to install some big ass cams in the next couple days, so I can take some pics of a vid showing how I do it.
    Thanks for the help. I read the long-winded Pelican Parts instructions just now. It seems like the method I did when I removed the cam to get the head off of the car. Tedious, but it seems like it’s not as risky in snapping a cam as I thought. I hope to do this on Sunday, so we’ll see how it goes. Thanks for the help. If I can’t figure it out I may bug you for a video!

-Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT8 (sold)

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5

There’s a tool for that: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/e/p...sion-38-drive/

Edit: or this one for rather less, https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5940-Head...ZHNN89VAS4GK20

Neil
    Last edited by NeilM; 07-19-2018 at 09:15 PM.

My Cars
    '86 E30S50, '12 VW GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    Already got it. It doesn’t fit.

-Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT8 (sold)

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Grind down a socket on a grinder. Make sure the socket has enough depth to full seat. Brands vary. I have changed ARP studs on a Schrick cammed motor without pulling the cams about 10 years ago.

Pulling cams is pretty easy and is probably easier overall. I installed schricks onto 83lb supertech springs a few years ago without issue.

My Cars
    '86 E30S50, '12 VW GTI
    Thanks for the help, guys. A friend helped me hold the camshaft, while I loosened the bearing caps using the long winded Pelican Parts instructions. Reinstalling, we had to install the cylinder 1 cap with the cam slightly off from pointed straight down, just to get the threads started. I believe this had cylinder 5 pointed slightly down as well.
    Thanks!

-Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT8 (sold)

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Already got it. It doesn’t fit.
    Interesting, because I have Schricks in my S52 and all the head bolts come out just fine using the skinny head bolt tool. When I did my head gasket a number of years ago I took off and refitted the head with the cams in place.

Some subtle difference between the S50 and S52?

Neil
    96 M3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast