Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: YES!! THE DIVERSITY ANTENNA problem HAS BEEN DEFEATED! see inside!

My Cars
    '97 328is M-Sport
    Sure did It was the most relevent search for the problem I'm having and I had a question about it.
    1997 328is M-Sport
    Body: DEPO headlights, Prolumen HID (low beams and fogs)
    Performance: Sparco strut bar, H&R Touring Cup Kit, GC RSM's, Powerflex bushings, M3 diff
    Sound: Pioneer Premier, Focal, Connection Audison, Scosche, Alpine

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    then maybe read the thread in it's entirety, because I saw the answer.

My Cars
    '97 328is M-Sport
    I actually took the thing apart today and tested it, and it does work. Just plug the power on wire into the factory location in the harness (split to your new amp turn-on) and the radio reception comes in clear as a bell.
    1997 328is M-Sport
    Body: DEPO headlights, Prolumen HID (low beams and fogs)
    Performance: Sparco strut bar, H&R Touring Cup Kit, GC RSM's, Powerflex bushings, M3 diff
    Sound: Pioneer Premier, Focal, Connection Audison, Scosche, Alpine

My Cars
    99 M3 vert w/man,01 F350
    I just finished installing a JVC KD-HDR20 headunit with Polk DB521 5.25" speakers all around with new 16 gauge wiring for all completely bypassing the stock amp and I followed the advice in the original post and it worked perfectly. I have much better reception than before the install; in fact, it is so good that I really cannot tell the difference between HD and non-HD radio stations. All I did was clip that white wire coming from the amp and tape off both ends!

Just a couple of problems arose. First, the rear openings need to be opened up so the DB-521s fit flush - the front openings were absolutely perfect; I was even able to use the original mounting holes. Secondly, the DB-521s are very good speakers but lack bass so I will probably do a ski pass sub setup.

HU and 4 speakers set me back a whole $200!!!
    Last edited by Uliman; 07-06-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: wrong cost figure
    1999 M3 vert, Rogue SSK, Conforti intake, SS replica catback, UUC adj rear control arms, Eibach springs, Konis, Beyern rims, cross-drilled Zimmermans w/Akebono Euro ceramic pads, ASC delete, Bosch Euro lamps, ZKW Euro foglamps

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 E53
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Jet View Post
    Well, I know EVERYONE has an issue with their BMW diversity antenna when installing an aftermarket stereo system... and I believe that bmwpower and myslef have finally DEFEATED the "reception issues"!!!!

Here is what we both did and it WORKS 100%, with CRYSTAL CLEAR STEREO RECEPTION...

The stock BMW stereo harness incorporates a WHITE wire for the DIVERSITY ANTENNA. This wire runs as such:

1) Main stereo wiring harness TO STEREO
    2) from the main wiring harness TO THE DIVERSITY ANTENNA
    3) from the diversity antenna TO THE FACTORY AMP

In order to get PERFECT stereo reception from an aftermarket stereo you NEED TO DO THIS:

A) on the back of *most* aftermarket stereos, there is a BLUE/WHITE lead. This lead is commonly referred to as the POWER ANTENNA lead...

B) take the WHITE wire from the BMW STOCK HARNESS and connect it to your BLUE/WHITE (POWER ANTENNA) lead coming off the back of your aftermarket stereo.

C) in the trunk, DISCONNECT the WHITE WIRE from the stock stereo harness. You do NOT want this END of the WHITE WIRE hooked up to anything at all. DO NOT CONNECT it to your amp, DO NOT connect it back to anything. All you want to do is tape up the end of it and just tuck it back away behind the trunk liner/panel.

D) Be sure your coaxial antenna lead coming from the CAR is hooked/plugged into the back of your STEREO.

E) test the stereo/radio reception BEFORE re-installing the head unit back into the dash. With the car turned to "ON", you should be picking up any radio station in your area. With the car turned on and RUNNING, you should STILL be picking up any radio station in your area and the reception should be CRYSTAL CLEAR.

We both have our aftermarket stereos (both Alpines) installed this way and both of our head units (the one in his 535i and my M3) pick up radio stations EXTREMELY CLEAR with NO other issues.

I think what the problem is, if you look at the BMW factory wiring diagrams, it shows the white wire hooked into the stereo, it then goes into the diversity antenna, then goes into the BMW factory amp. Well, most stereo install shops AND the "do it yourself" installers will do exactly the same install, follwing all of the wiring diagrams.. Which, if you do look at the wiring diagrams, it may be correct on paper to follow the same route & install procedure - BUT, for whatever reason, the diversity antenna does NOT work the same way when installing an aftermarket amp/stereo when following the factory wiring diagram layout.

If you have the WHITE wire in the trunk hooked up to your AFTERMARKET AMP, disconnect it completely and just tape it up. As long as that WHITE wire is hooked up at the AFTERMARKET HEAD UNIT to the BLUE/WHITE wire (power antenna lead) coming off the head unit, you should be getting PERFECT stereo reception when listening to AM or FM!!!!

The ONLY other thing that will affect the head unit from not picking up CLEAR reception after doing the above is:

1) Your rear window tint (if applicable) has metallic particles in the tint itself. This WILL interfere with the diversity antenna, since the antenna does run through and is imbedded in the rear glass.

2) Your connections at the actual diversity antenna distribuiton block may be LOOSE. The only way to access this distribution block is to remove your DRIVER'S side rear interior C-pillar panel. This panel is not the easiest to remove, but with ease and PATIENCE, you can remove it. Once removed, check the connections and make sure the coaxial cables and wires going to the diversity antenna block are SECURE.

I hope all of the above was helpful and I can say that our radio reception is GREAT! So, the above procedure DOES WORK.

:
    Hi,

I know that this brillant thread is quite old but I hope there is someone out there that can help me and explain a bit more in detail what I need to do.

App. two months ago I installed a aftermarket Android head unit in my BMW E53 X5 MY 2004. The unit is good but I have close to no radio reception. I tried a lot of different things with no improvement. I came upon the description above here on the Forum and have a few questions.

It says:
    B) take the WHITE wire from the BMW STOCK HARNESS - to which BMW stock harness are you referring to? In the front behind the original radio there is two harness, one with a white plug and one with a blue plug. Do you know to which plug the White wire is to be found?

Secondly it says:

C) in the trunk, DISCONNECT the WHITE WIRE from the stock stereo harness. - The original installation was with a BM54 Radio unit with a 40 PIN plug connected to the BM54. Is that where I should disconnect the white Wire?

Is the above trick still valid and also for my e53?
    If in the meantime someone has found a different solution for the bad radio reception, I would appreciate your explanations.

Please advise.
    I thank you very much in advance.

Rino
    Last edited by BMWFuchs; 07-26-2019 at 06:13 AM.

My Cars
    1994 SVT Cobra

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by BMWFuchs View Post
    Hi,

I know that this brillant thread is quite old but I hope there is someone out there that can help me and explain a bit more in detail what I need to do.

App. two months ago I installed a aftermarket Android head unit in my BMW E53 X5 MY 2004. The unit is good but I have close to no radio reception. I tried a lot of different things with no improvement. I came upon the description above here on the Forum and have a few questions.

It says:
    B) take the WHITE wire from the BMW STOCK HARNESS - to which BMW stock harness are you referring to? In the front behind the original radio there is two harness, one with a white plug and one with a blue plug. Do you know to which plug the White wire is to be found?

Secondly it says:

C) in the trunk, DISCONNECT the WHITE WIRE from the stock stereo harness. - The original installation was with a BM54 Radio unit with a 40 PIN plug connected to the BM54. Is that where I should disconnect the white Wire?

Is the above trick still valid and also for my e53?
    If in the meantime someone has found a different solution for the bad radio reception, I would appreciate your explanations.

Please advise.
    I thank you very much in advance.

Rino
    Wow, haven’t been on here in a while due to being exclusive to the Mustangs for a bit, but let me add some input.

When this thread was originally written, it was specific to the E36 M3 (at the time to my 1995 M3), but if I recall correctly the same applies to the 97-99 M3’s and might apply to other BMWs.

B) take the WHITE wire from the BMW STOCK HARNESS
    For clarification purposes, the “BMW STOCK HARNESS” was being referenced as being the harness found directly behind the factory head unit. It was being discussed as being after Part A in my original posting. In an E53 X5, just look at your front radio harnesses behind the factory head unit, only one of them should have a White wire.

C) in the trunk, DISCONNECT the WHITE WIRE from the stock stereo harness. You do NOT want this END of the WHITE WIRE hooked up to anything at all.
    The “stock stereo harness” in this section was to reference the factory AMP harness (in the E36’s, the factory AMP was located at the rear of the car inside and behind the trunk liner). On an E53 X5, the factory AMP may be located at the rear, so once you find that harness it *might* contain the same wire. If so, try doing the same as I wrote IF hooking up an aftermarket AMP.

Now I’m not familiar with the E53 X5’s, their audio layout or their audio schematics. IF the E53 has a white wire coming out of the main radio harness (found at front behind the factory head unit), it is *possible* that could be the wire for the antenna. Same would be true IF that same wire is found at the factory AMP harness.

Now I did some digging for you and found this site. The accuracy of the information is the Site Owner’s, NOT mine. I hope it’s helpful for you and your X5 audio upgrades.

http://www.modifiedlife.com/2005-bmw...ation-diagram/

This is from the site:
    2005 BMW X5 Car Audio Installation Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/Green
    Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Violet/White
    Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown
    Car Radio Illumination Wire: Yellow
    Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
    Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: White
    Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: White

Car Stereo Amplifier Location: Behind the rear left quarter panel trim.
    Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
    Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
    Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/Red
    Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Orange
    Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Black/Red
    Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Orange
    Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
    Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
    Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/Black
    Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/Orange
    Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Black
    Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Orange
    It looks like the White wire may still have similar characteristics in the X5 as it did in the E36 M3. So that’s a starting point for you. According to the above, the X5 factory amp is located at the rear of the vehicle so the AMP harness will be in same area; once you find it, that harness should contain the SAME White wire.

I hope the above is helpful.

The Mods on this site should have stickied this thread a long time ago...

Oh and here was my other original thread when I did a complete audio system upgrade in my prior 95 M3... enjoy, it has a LOT of detail....AND pics
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-TO-for-others!
    Last edited by Cobra Jet; 08-01-2019 at 11:08 PM.
    1991 BMW 318ic & 1995 ///M3 coupe - SOLD

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 E53
    Hi,

Thank you for looking into my question even though it is not in your focus anymore.
    In the meantime I found a solution, without your thread I wouldnt have been able to. What I did was the following:

The X5 e53 FL MY2004 has no white wire in the front behind the head unit. The head unit does not contain any radio tuner and no antenna connection.
    The Radio / Amplifier is a MB54 and it is in the booth under the spare wheel behind the batterie. That is where the antenna is connected and also a 40 pin plug. This 40 pin plug has a white wire which I connected to a switched 12V + (red) wire. I didnt cut any wire just connected it to 12V and now I have a clear radio reception.
    Without connecting the white wire to 12V the antenna amp does not turn on and you have a bad to no radio reception.

I hope this helps some other people with the Navi Professional and the MB54 Radio Amp installation.

Thank you again Cobra Jet for your helpful hints.

Rino.

My Cars
    2006 m3
    2006 m3 e46 xtrons install poor reception looked for white wire Which one is it? Do you have pix

My Cars
    2006 m3
    Had factory navigation had great reception

- - - Updated - - -

Factory has 2 black plugs and a blue one and a white plug which white wire is for antenna booster? Please

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123