Thread: 80-83 E21 Restoration

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21

80-83 E21 Restoration

Okay, this is my first post to this forum. I am in the process of - slowly - attempting to restore my old 1980 320i. Just about everything needs to be replaced. I mean, for the same cost to restore this thing, I could probably buy a new car, but I am a sucker for that vintage charm - I love this freakin' car. Sure, it's not super fast with gobs of hp, but the E21 was never really meant to be - it was/is a two door commuter, not a race car. Anyway, I'm here in an attempt to make a couple (or three, or ten) friends who are e21 owners and who have been through this process and might be able to answer any questions, or offer up suggestions, or tips-and-tricks for me along the way. I've made a long, lengthy list of things to do - with bodywork and paint being last - and I'm not entirely sure where to begin. For instance, I know that I need to replace the control arm bushings, but would it be easier/better to simply replace the entire control arm? I am looking to swap out the rotors with some drilled and slotted - any ideas? I am thinking of a cold air intake (from BavAuto) - any positives/negatives? Is there any kind of power steering conversion for E21's? Disk Brake conversion for the rear brakes? I'm also thinking of an electronic ignition to replace the points in my distributor - any ideas? Hope to hear from you soon! Thanks.
    Last edited by Baldini; 09-06-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Just to add more

My Cars
    '83 323i, '82 320i, '06 mazda5
    Welcome! You're in the right place as you will soon find out. This forum is probably the best, most helpful group of enthusiasts you can find. Several of the members have even fabricated up various parts (and improved on them) and offer them for sale for very great prices.

In your case, regarding the control arms, you should do a search of polyurethane bushings made by a member here named Jester323 who will take your new arms and put in the urethane. He also offers steering rack bushings and I think rear subfame as well.

Yeah, these cars have a lot of things that need replacing after 30 years of use. But, they are pretty easy to work on and a blast to drive! Keep at it and you'll be rewarded...

My Cars
    2 E21s, E28, Z3 Coupe
    Welcome! You should meet up with JDB - he's a BMW master tech who did an E21 ground-up restoration. Awesome guy, plus he's local to Eureka too!

My Cars
    '78 320is 83 320i R.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post
    I'm also thinking of an electronic ignition to replace the points in my distributor - any ideas?
    Your car is a 1980 and it has points? I was positive they stopped putting points in during the '79 mfg year at the same time they dropped to the 1.8L engine.

Oh SNAP!!! German Engineering is IN DA HAUS YAH!!!

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21
    Okay, I may not be man enough for such an endeavor, but I mean, geesh already...
    http://jrcook320.e21legion.net/Home