Thread: starting issue 318i e36 m43

My Cars
    bmw 318 1994

starting issue 318i e36 m43

ok this is my problem, the car will not start, it will turn over and the only way i can start the car is to put the car in first gear, hand brake down, cluch up then turn the key so it jumps forward. this only works if the engine is cold. if it warms up it dont start doing this i have to wait until the car cools down, its very fustrating, ive changed the coil pack, the crankshaft sensor and it still dont start. i just want to get in and turn the key and for it to fire up first time like cars should do, if anyone can help me solve this problem i would be very grestful. oh its a 1994 318i e36 m43 engine.

My Cars
    e36 325i
    More info please. So, you are actually starting your car in gear, as in bumpstarting it?..... If so, STOP (ask me how I know) IMHO, you should do the following:

- Try and start the car normally.
    - Then, pull a spark plug and see if you are actually getting spark while turning the key like a normal person. "this is a two person job : ) "
    - This will then get us further, as if you do have spark, then we are looking at a fuel delivery issue (though I don't think thats your problem)

- If you do not have spark:
    - Ouch, go bite the bullet and pay the $45 fee at the Stealership/ your fav autoshop to have them tell you whats wrong. My 318 back in the day had a "depoliorized" relay that would let the car turn over and over, but would not acutually start for hours on end.

Best of luck to you,
    -Wp.
    e36 325i - Still driving
    SOLD 328i
    318i

My Cars
    bmw 318 1994
    ok this is what is happening, i have found that i can start it from the key as normal but only when the battery starts to drain, its as if when the engine is running there is to much charge getting to the battery. i had to turn on all my electrics to drain the battery abit then it will fire up........very bizzar!!!!