Thread: Smoke after driving high 6K RPM cleared up after keeping the R's down

My Cars
    2001 325i

Question Smoke after driving high 6K RPM cleared up after keeping the R's down

Took my new to me 325i (135,000 miles) for a little run today freeway speed some manual shifting, couple times up to 6K RPM. No problems apparent until I stopped and restarted car then had alot of grey-white smoke which cleared up a bit after idling for a few minutes. Drove the 30 mi home and at the local drive thru for food idling started smoking again. Got it home and saw smoke when revved to 4K. Let it sit and restarted a couple times to see if I broke something and seems to cleared up. No sign of coolant in the oil or vice versa. Any ideas (Oil separator?) out there. Sorry for the long post but this seems strange to have intermittent burning I think Oil problem. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    If you've never revved it up that high before, it could be carbon or other grime burning out. Do a google search for "Italian tune-up."

My Cars
    2002 330xi Ti Silver
    You hope it was just burning out grime and carbon.

My Cars
    325CI manual
    What Nathan said

My Cars
    2001 325i
    I wish it was but thing is it kept up for too long and the amount of smoke indicated oil in intake, how it got there is the problem. Played nice with it today (kept under 3K RPM) and no more smoke but want to find out what happened before.
    Thanks,
    Nate

My Cars
    E46 323Ci 5-speed
    Quote Originally Posted by space2009 View Post
    I wish it was but thing is it kept up for too long and the amount of smoke indicated oil in intake, how it got there is the problem. Played nice with it today (kept under 3K RPM) and no more smoke but want to find out what happened before.
    Thanks,
    Nate
    Well oil in the intake would definitely be caused by the PCV valve, or whatever it's called on the E46.

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    I just had the ccv changed in my car,I had what was smoke becuase of a failed PCV/CCV. BMW calls it a CCV crank case ventalator or oil seperator. Its a $40 part and please buy the $100 worth of 4 hoses that are attached to it. I bet it will do it again and as it gets worse the car runs horrible as what its doing is sucking oil from the crankcase and sticking it in the intake to be burned in your motor. BMW gets $700 or more to do it. It is a pita to get to and change. I lucked out and found someone that works on euros on there spare time and they did it for $100. Check oil consumption becuase when mine went it ate 1 qt and 1/2 in 500 miles before I realized what was wrong.

All four of the attached hoses fell apart in pieces and the ccv its self snaped in two upon removal. It was all brittle.
    Last edited by WHITEXi; 03-10-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by softwarehawk View Post
    Does anyone know how the keyless ignition is meant to operate? The current system could be very dangerous if someone drove to an unsafe area, and then could not start the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwarden5 View Post
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayzracer View Post
    The poors might get him...

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Thanks WhiteXi,
    I heard the install is tight, and thanks for the heads up on the hoses, did your problem happen only at high RPM? Did it get worse over time or happen all at once?
    Thanks,
    Space

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    This is what it did. I thought I broke it when I changed the airfilter and left the dipstick out. I started it and it poured smoke.

I put it all together and drove it it was fine. The next day it was fine. The day after I was late to work and had to pick up a friend. I drove her hard and it was going about 100 mph on the high way and then after it was bad, idled rough poured smoke.

Left work to go upstate to a friends for the weekend it was ok I got the parts and then it was the worst when I got to his house. It was so bad that when I stoped in park at my friends it stalled almost. I made it back home and had it replaced and its all better now.

I get better gas mileage to now, a bit of an increase.
    Last edited by WHITEXi; 03-10-2009 at 07:44 PM.
    Does anyone know how the keyless ignition is meant to operate? The current system could be very dangerous if someone drove to an unsafe area, and then could not start the car.
    What?

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Thanks WHITEXi,
    Just read your post and link to DIY looks like similar problem to mine, will try to do smoke test to check for vacume leaks and the other pull dipstick/ Oil cap checks. This forum sure is a lot of help to a BIMMER newbe like me.
    Thanks,
    Space

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    When I opend my oil cap when running it almost stalled out. It will sputter and run rough.
    What?