Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S50B32 in E30 M3 - 0 Oil Pressure on Track

My Cars
    E30 M3, E93, F350
    I'm using the 525 stuff. I don't recall any obstruction issues at all.

My Cars
    Z1, M3 LTW, 228

pump/pickup/pan

Engine builder referred to is AV.......

Al thinks that there is no oil getting into the pump, starvation essentially, resulting in some fashion from blocked access to the pickup.

I wonder if the S50B30/32 block is JUST A LITTLE bit off from the usual M50 blocks, enough that you have to have a perfectly matched set of pump/pan/pickups from one style or another.

To people who have discussed single vs dual pu euro pans, keep in mind that the primary reason that BMW went to the dual pickup pan was that the sump is in the back. Under braking/turning/banks, oil was rushing to the front, and starvation occurred.

This never happens with the (better?) designed E30 front sump style pan, or in a sense, the 5 series M50 pan which is front sumped too, ala the older E30 style.

I have a customer who pulled a built S50B32 with 5 series pan etc...out of his E30 race car, and put a stock US style pan on it..... and put it into an E36. He had full instrumentation, and FIRST brake zone saw dropping pressures transiently, something NEVER seen in his E30. So, the rear sump is a liability unless you go dual pickup....or otherwise account for it.
    Alex Lipowich
    xyobgyn on AOL

Trying to make the world a better place with 5 extra throttle bodies at a time.

My Cars
    '98 Supra TT
    An update for you guys on our progress (or lack of)...

So we took the feedback provided and checked the location/positioning/alignment of the 5 series pump/pan/pickup and saw that we did appear to have a clearance issue. There was less than 1/8" clearance between the pickup and the bottom of the oil pan, so we expected this to be the cause of the oil pickup issue and pump failure. We modified the pickup which resulted in a little more than 1/2" clearance. We also added a baffle in the bottom of the pan, while we were in there just in case.

We threw the car on a dyno a couple weeks ago and just beat the piss out of it for about 20 minutes. I fugured that I would rather see it fail down the street from our shop than out on track again. It all held up great, so progress was made. Off to Sebring to test out on track...

We spent last Saturday out at Sebring with PBOC and in the morning session, after about 20 minutes out there taking it easy (shifting early at 6K), we came in and it all looked great. Pressure was at 20psi at idle, so we got over the initial problem of failure from the last 2 times out.

Went out for the second session (another 20 minutes) and pushed a little harded, probably around 80% or so. Car felt great out there, oil temp peaked at 223 for a moment, and oil pressure on track was perfect. When we came back in, at idle the pressure dropped down to 12psi, so a little lower than the first session but still on the positive side. So we were cautious but still ok.

We started warming the car up for the afternoon session and when I blipped the throttle a little, I saw the pressure spike up to 80-100psi. Obvious problems so we shut down and went home. When we pulled the pump, we saw the valve stuck and some visible damage to the pump again. Not as bad as before as far as the scarring on the pump and the oil looked much better this time around.

Slight progress but no solution yet. Not sure where to go from here...

My Cars
    E36 323i 1998
    Hi Hyboost,

Did you ever work out what this issue was?

I had the exact same problem last week. Ran fine on track with decent pressure, brought into into pits and as engine came to idle oil pressure dropped to 1psi and oil light came on (two different measuring points off the engine).

Your post is the exact same as what is happening to mine...

Thanks

PS know your issue was from ten years ago...

My Cars
    '98 Supra TT
    You’re not going to like the permanent solution
    We gave up on experimenting and burning money and went dry sump. Pretty decent one-time expense but it has been flawless for 10 years and the dry sump system has since been moved to a new engine (s54). Absolutely no pressure issues ever. Good luck.

B725BB8C-DC04-4508-AE8E-2F9B2D3927EC.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

62D39982-337B-4B07-830E-500E772E78CE.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12