Thread: Budget 330Ci STX-build questions

My Cars
    2001 330ci

Budget 330Ci STX-build questions

Hi all,

I have a 2001 330Ci with 81Kmiles and sport package. I am planning to upgrade my car and use it as my DD and autocross car (DD 70% and autocross 30%). Due to budgetary constraint ($4-5K) I don't dream of building a car that's nationally competitive. As long as it's more fun to drive (handles better and moves faster) and still STX legal I'll be happy. If it has any chance at local level, well that's a bonus .

Here's my plan and I am hoping you guys with more experience can chime in:
    1. Tires and rims - I have 245/40/17 Kumho MX, bought new and have been driven for only about 4Kmile and 5 autocrosses, on type 68 17X8.5 rims all around (stock rear rims for sport package 330Ci). I know that the rims are not on the light side, Kumho MX is not the fastest ST tires, and I can use 265 wide tire in STX but due to budget, I'll keep them for this year.
    2. Shocks/struts and springs - I am thinking Koni SA with H&R Race Springs. Again keeping the theme of low budget, nothing fancy here. Which one is better, Bilstein Sport or Koni SA?
    3. Sway Bar - Big honking front sway bar. I am not sure whether to get Eibach, UUC or Hotchkis?
    4. Camber Plates - Should I get UUC, TC Kline or Ground Control?
    5. Strut tower bar - No idea which one to get and whether this one will actually make a difference or not.
    6. LSD - What's the cheapest LSD I can get for a 330Ci?
    7. Engine - Not much, probably K&N CAI, Conforti chip and shark injector?
    8. Exhaust - Borla or AA?

I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible and only get the parts that will actually make a difference. Out of 8 items above in my opinion probably the LSD and then the shocks/struts and springs mods, in that order, will be the most important ones. Am I right? I am not too mechanically savvy but with the help of my Bentley manual and NCCBMWCCA DIY events I am hoping that I can install most of these myself. Since I'll have to pay a mechanic for the complicated mods (e.g installing LSD) I also have to take Labor costs into consideration.

What do you guys think, am I missing anything or am I way off base?? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, you guys rockkk

My Cars
    2003 330i #183 STX
    I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible and only get the parts that will actually make a difference. Out of 8 items above in my opinion probably the LSD and then the shocks/struts and springs mods, in that order, will be the most important ones. Am I right?
    I think you're on the right track. I'm doing the same build myself, check out the thread here:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1156840

With that budget, if I were you, here's what I'd do in what order:
    - LSD - Metrix, performance gearing, diffsonline (from cheapest to most expensive)
    - camber plates - Vorshlag "race"
    - TC Kline SA shocks with your choice of linear springs. (not H&R)
    - swaybars - I'd go H&R, because they don't have the noise associated with most bars, so they're more DD friendly.
    - 255/40/17 RE-01R's, as they're on clearance at the tire rack right now.

The LSD will run probably $2500, so you probably won't have any money left over for power mods, but if you do, I'd go in this order:
    - exhaust (weight *and* power!)
    - lightweight battery
    - pulleys
    - chip
    - intake

My Cars
    2001 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
    I think you're on the right track. I'm doing the same build myself, check out the thread here:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1156840

With that budget, if I were you, here's what I'd do in what order:
    - LSD - Metrix, performance gearing, diffsonline (from cheapest to most expensive)
    - camber plates - Vorshlag "race"
    - TC Kline SA shocks with your choice of linear springs. (not H&R)
    - swaybars - I'd go H&R, because they don't have the noise associated with most bars, so they're more DD friendly.
    - 255/40/17 RE-01R's, as they're on clearance at the tire rack right now.

The LSD will run probably $2500, so you probably won't have any money left over for power mods, but if you do, I'd go in this order:
    - exhaust (weight *and* power!)
    - lightweight battery
    - pulleys
    - chip
    - intake
    Thanks man. I actually saw your build thread before but I don't think my car is as advanced as yours. On the tires, I think TR is running out of 255/40/17...I didn't find out about it early enough...

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    Skip the E46 Borla - I installed one on a customer's car last week and was VERY unimpressed with fitment and delivered quality.
    Chris
    97 M3
    94 325is
    12 Jeep SRT8

My Cars
    2001 330i 3.23
    Murph, why not H&R springs? I have a firend who just did that with Bilsteins, H&R sways. I got to rive it today and it handled pretty well.

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by ganseg View Post
    Murph, why not H&R springs? I have a firend who just did that with Bilsteins, H&R sways. I got to rive it today and it handled pretty well.
    Because the cost of a spring+shock kit is not that much less than a decent set of budget GC or TCKR coilovers. For a LOT less performance.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    2003 330i #183 STX
    Quote Originally Posted by ganseg View Post
    They're progressive springs, like stock, so in a performance situation they'll be less predictable to drive at the limit. As the car leans more the rate goes up, and suddenly you're oversteering. I think H&R do have some springs that are linear, but they're not the ones commonly sold.

My Cars
    e46, e30
    Quote Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
    They're progressive springs, like stock, so in a performance situation they'll be less predictable to drive at the limit. As the car leans more the rate goes up, and suddenly you're oversteering. I think H&R do have some springs that are linear, but they're not the ones commonly sold.
    Where can you buy linear springs for the E46? I haven't been able to find any, and I too hate progressive springs. I will probably just go with some coilovers.
    Last edited by eek142; 03-08-2009 at 07:14 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3, 06 Evo MR #7 STU
    If you have $4-5K to spend, and you're not spending any of that on wheels and tires this year - I would look into spending half that on a nice set of coilovers/camber plates. That, the wheels/tires, and the diff, will (I suspect) make a bigger difference than having an intake, exhaust or a strut bar or any of the smaller mods. $2500 should be able to get you one of those nice Vorshlag AST setups w/ camber plates (I think).

That said I know nothing about these cars

My Cars
    2003 330i #183 STX
    Quote Originally Posted by eek142 View Post
    Where can you buy linear springs for the E46? I haven't been able to find any, and I too hate progressive springs. I will probably just go with some coilovers.
    Vorshlag sells Hypercoil springs, and TC Kline sells springs as well, forgot the name. Both of those would be 60mm.

But you don't necessarily need springs specific to the E46. You can use any springs you want, I know the Hypercoils Vorshlag sells for the E46 are 6" in the front, and 5.5" in the rear. (not sure if TCK uses different sizes)

You'll also want some ride height adjusters for the rear, and the spring alignment platforms won't hurt.

http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=1_8_53

Both Vorshlag and TC Kline offer coilover packages that will save you some money over buying everything separately, you can get the AST 4100's w/ springs, camber plates, and the perches and adjusters and such for about $2600. The TC Kline package (w/ Vorshlag camber plates) will run around $2000 total. You can go double adjustable with either one for about another $900.

Either of those and the LSD would be all you *really* need for STX, especially if you'll still be on the MX's. (though bars would be nice) The benefit of going with the ASTs vs. the TC Kline is just that they'll be more comfortable on the street with a more agressive spring rate. That was a big factor for me, as my car spends a lot more time shuttling me to work and my girlfriend out for dinner and such than it does autocrossing.