Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Dog Animal Rescue - Adoptable dogs, Events and Announcements

My Cars
    2010 335d
    Absolutely! Please see http://www.luckydoganimalrescue.org/volunteer/foster for more info. Thanks

My Cars
    95 1jz m3
    Adopted my dog yesterday http://mdspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/photos/lostfound/23861.jpg. He's taken quite a liking to my corbeau's.

My Cars
    2000 M5
    linkie no workie

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i
    I read this thread while I was in the process of buying my first BMW (last month); my fiance and I actually have been volunteering, fostering, and donating because of this thread....I initially got the wrong forum! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392377
    (note Lucky Dog reference)

Hopefully next time we attend an adoption event we can introduce ourselves!

(Blake and Amy)
    Last edited by AlplineBMWHwaii; 07-01-2010 at 05:38 PM.

My Cars
    2002 M3
    I don't know how many of you have seen this in OT, but the dog in this was from this very rescue.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1525454

My Cars
    2010 335d
    Yes, Parrot was a Lukcy Dog

http://www.luckydoganimalrescue.org/...-in-our-hearts.

http://inmemoryofparrot.blogspot.com/

« Parrot’s Fund
    Introducing Shana – The first of “Parrot’s Pals” »

An Update On Parrot

By bgrady | Published: September 13, 2010

We at Lucky Dog are truly amazed and humbled by the outpouring of support we have received in the wake of Parrot’s tragic and unwarranted death. We have received numerous questions about the incident, and, because news outlets have varied significantly in recounting what happened, we have spoken to as many eye witnesses as possible, and have requested and obtained the official police report. We believe there are a few things to note in this report, found on page 2.

1. The report only one alleged bite – that to Officer Fike. The injury is classified as an abrasion and described as scratching on the hand and wrist. Officer Fike declined any medical care resulting from his injury. Many eye witnesses state that Parrot did not bite or even attempt to bite anyone at any point during the police intervention.
    2. Aaron Block was not bitten. The police report confirms this as do Aaron’s own statements.
    3. According to multiple eye witnesses, Parrot had already been subdued and was being held securely by his foster, Aaron Block, when the police arrived on the scene. Parrot was not “out of control.”
    4. Parrot did not charge the officer after being thrown down the concrete stairwell. A witness who was standing on the Brass Doorknob’s porch saw what transpired in the stairwell. He told us that Parrot was stunned from the fall and had only just gotten to his feet when the officer drew his gun and opened fire without provocation.
    “There are alot of comments being generated on this tragedy, some factual and some not. What I can add is contradictory to the comment attributed to Jacob Kishter, Commander of the 3rd Police District and reported in the Washington Post today – “once the officer pushed the dog down the stairwell” – is not at all what happened. As seen in the photo showing the officer had control of the dog, he held the top of dog’s head and the skin on his back and walked over to the stairwell railing and THREW the dog from chest height down to the bottom – a height of between 9 and 10 feet. This I saw because I was standing at the doorway of the business where the dog was killed. As I turned away, in 1 – 3 seconds a single shot rang out. I then went out on the platform above the stairwell, and saw the dying dog’s head was nearly on top of the floor drain next to the locked gate at the bottom of the steps FACING away from the steps..”
    Descriptions can be found at: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/matt-zapotosky/should-police-have-shot-parrot.html

MPD incident Report

My Cars
    2002 M3
    That's terrible. I figured it was just that, as I made note of in the other thread. Overzealous cops wanting to prove their power leads to this sort of cruelty.

I signed the petition, I know nothing will happen, but I would love to see the officer be made an example of. Maybe then people would stop treading their animals with such contempt.

EDIT: Some fine detective work going on in that report. Apparently it's ok to lie and make things up? Also, latered expired? Poor grammar as well, seems this officer was quite the catch. I cannot stand this kind of thing. This is what gives pits a bad name.

EDIT 2: I noticed Hate Crime is listed as No...I think it should be yes, a hate crime against pits.
    Last edited by Dewstain; 09-16-2010 at 10:46 AM.

My Cars
    2010 335d
    Well, I don't know if nothing will or wont happen. No one thought anything would happen to the cop who shot Bear Bear, the husky, in AA County dog park. He, however, has been charged with animal cruelty and discharging a fire arm close to a residential area and that case is going to trial in November.

I don't know if the officer was trying to prove something or not. I don't know if it was breed profiling or not. I do, however, see plenty of "bully breed haters" coming out of the woodwork everywhere and offering up their "eye witness reports" and "expert opinions".

I wasn't there and don't know what happened first hand, but it seems to me regardless of what Parrot or the other dog did or didn't do, there's a photo which has Parrot pinned down on the ground, before he was tossed over the railing and killed. Police say that the officer who shot him has been a K9 officer used to handling large dogs and has been trained as such. His actions proved otherwise.

I do not want to turn this thread into "everyone is an expert" pissing match. This is not the place for it.

if anyone wishes to attend a vigil for Parrot, it will be held this evening from 8:00 - 8:30 pm at 2311 18th St NW.

My Cars
    2002 M3
    Well said, I tend to agree with you. Regardless, it's very sad and I have to agree it was totally avoidable.

I've posted the petition on the board of a greyhound rescue in the South that my wife and I used to volunteer for. Hopefully there should be a number of more signatures. The internet is a powerful animal.

BradR127 is offline Drip Loop Squad BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    I shouldn't ever read this thread, but I always do....... sad.

My Cars
    2010 335d

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Such a shame. Great dog and an over zealous officer. I agree with you that I think "something" will happen but whatever happens, it won't be enough.

I have a story about a guy that assulted one of my dogs a few years ago at the dog park. I won't type it here in the interested of keeping your thread clean but I wish society felt about animals in genral the way I feel about mine.

My Cars
    96 M3 , 04 c-class
    any bully breed puppies ? i can foster 1 female or male

My Cars
    2010 335d
    It changes all the time...but yes, bully mixes are very common. See http://www.luckydoganimalrescue.org/volunteer/foster to get the foster process started.

My Cars
    96 M3 , 04 c-class
    so you are like a main guy over there ?

My Cars
    2010 335d

My Cars
    96 M3 , 04 c-class
    do you need any help around the dogs ?i'm not scared around the dogs

My Cars
    2010 335d
    LOL, they are not scary so..take a look at the site and just go through that. They have volunteer coordinators and such to get ppl involved.

My Cars
    96 M3 , 04 c-class
    i'm talking about pit bulls etc , each time when i'm going to the shelter to check pit bulls , people don't wanna pet them, they are scared, so i'm the only 1 person who is giving them some love ok i'm gonna check out your web

thanks

My Cars
    No BMW at this time
    first time i notice this thread!!! Just wanted to chime in with my experience.

I adopted from Lucky Dog about 2 years ago, great organization! My wife and I were very pleased with the whole process and impressed with the professionalism of the representatives we worked with.

In the end, we found an awesome dog that fit our lifestyle perfectly!

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

My Cars
    2005 Lesbaru
    Just wondering if you ever need any transport help. I've done some work with a high kill shelter in SC with tons of dogs and cats - all breeds, sizes, and ages - I'm always happy to do the transport, which tends to be the hardest part of getting dogs out of kill shelters. If there are ever any openings for dogs from kill shelters with your rescue let me know and I'd be happy to plan a transport trip and do the driving.

Hardest thing for me is not falling in love with the dogs on the 8-9 hour trip to whatever rescue I'm transporting them to.

My Cars
    2010 335d
    Yes! LDAR is actually OK on transports as far as I know but there's another person who coordinates. you can find info here

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rural-...s/177977083829

My Cars
    E36, 06 Subaru WRX WGN
    Cool to see other lucky doggers! I'm Pongo's foster, and help maintain lucky dog's website. Do you foster now or are you a failed foster?

My Cars
    2010 335d
    we don't have a foster right now, no. Our last one was adopted out a few months ago and if we didn't have 3 of our own already I would have kept him. It was hard letting him go, great dog.

Nice to see someone else (other than my wife) doing the website work . She was the original developer for it.

My Cars
    E36, 06 Subaru WRX WGN
    Oh cool! I work with Rebecca a lot on keeping the site updated...she entrusted me with the magical editing powers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast