Thread: Wheel Fitment Help

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!

Wheel Fitment Help

I didn't post this in the M3 section since there usually isn't much traffic in there....

OK, I've got a line on a set of 15x8 Revolutions that are et35 with 205/55/15 tires on them. Will these fit as is? Or am I going to need spacers. Or am I brainfarting and a spacer would make them worse? Please help! BTW, I'm running the suspension listed in my sig below, which lowers the car 'a bit'. Didn't measure, but they are equivelant to Eibach's race springs.
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    03 530i, 96 328is, E30

Re: Wheel Fitment Help

Originally posted by uberpanzer
    I didn't post this in the M3 section since there usually isn't much traffic in there....

OK, I've got a line on a set of 15x8 Revolutions that are et35 with 205/55/15 tires on them. Will these fit as is? Or am I going to need spacers. Or am I brainfarting and a spacer would make them worse? Please help! BTW, I'm running the suspension listed in my sig below, which lowers the car 'a bit'. Didn't measure, but they are equivelant to Eibach's race springs.
    An 8" wheel on the E30 M3 would need to have around 20-22 mm of offset or close to it, so you'd need to use spacers and longer lugbolts. I think the car would be able to tolerate ET20 which would mean getting some 15mm spacers (like H&R or BMP etc). Did these wheels come off an E36 car? And are they hubcentric to the M3's hub? (<----- important))
    Randy Walters
    '89 325is (Competition car, now sold)
    '96 328is (Weekend Fun car w/M3 suspension, just sold)
    '03 530i Sport (Spare car)
    '05 X3 3.0 (Little Woman's DD)
    '21 Mazda 3 Premium Sedan AWD (Daily Driver)
    BMW CCA & SCCA Driving Instructor
    BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
    Multiple SCCA Regional Championships

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    Thanks Randy! After searching on the net some about this today I broke down and called TireRack to ask them about the fitment and they were saying spacers as well, but the moron suggested 5mm. 15mm is what sounds a bit more correct to me (in my foggy thinking), and might push them out to the fenders real nicely too.

I believe the wheels are OWNED by an e36 guy, but another one of 'them' has said that they aren't quite right for the e36, even for the track. I'm not sure about the hub centric issue though, and that's important. Thanks for the reminder....like I was afraid, I was brainfarting. Won't have these FOR this weekend, but I'll be needing the tires on them AFTER this weekend.
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    03 530i, 96 328is, E30
    Originally posted by uberpanzer
    Thanks Randy! After searching on the net some about this today I broke down and called TireRack to ask them about the fitment and they were saying spacers as well, but the moron suggested 5mm. 15mm is what sounds a bit more correct to me (in my foggy thinking), and might push them out to the fenders real nicely too.

I believe the wheels are OWNED by an e36 guy, but another one of 'them' has said that they aren't quite right for the e36, even for the track. I'm not sure about the hub centric issue though, and that's important. Thanks for the reminder....like I was afraid, I was brainfarting. Won't have these FOR this weekend, but I'll be needing the tires on them AFTER this weekend.
    Tire Rack isn't always knowledgeable about spacers since they don't sell them, and most of the salesmen won't sell wheels to you if they know you're going to use spacers.

Call them back and ask what the offset is on their 15x8 Kosei K1 in the E30 M3 fitment (ask for Jim at extension 364). My calibrated eye tells me it's in the ET20 to ET23 range.

And try to find out exactly what kind of car these wheels were previously used on. If it wasn't on a BMW, then you might not be able to get them to fit your E30 M3. Kosei center openings are always oversized and they use nylon centering rings to reduce them down to whatever hubcentric size the car has, be it a Miata or a VW or BMW. The bolt pattern is most important as you can run them without the centering rings if they're only to be used for autocross.

I don't know why someone would say they're not right for the E36 or for the track unless they weren't made to fit the BMW in the first place. Otherwise the K1 is the top choice among E30 M3 track rats so the wheel itself is certainly suitable for track duty.

Randy Walters
    '89 325is (Competition car, now sold)
    '96 328is (Weekend Fun car w/M3 suspension, just sold)
    '03 530i Sport (Spare car)
    '05 X3 3.0 (Little Woman's DD)
    '21 Mazda 3 Premium Sedan AWD (Daily Driver)
    BMW CCA & SCCA Driving Instructor
    BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
    Multiple SCCA Regional Championships