Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I have to use BMW coolant or will generic work?

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe 6 SPD

Do I have to use BMW coolant or will generic work?

Just wondering if I need to go and buy the OEM stuff?

Also, as a temp measure can I run just tap water in there? I failed to put the cap on right so a lot of the fluid steamed out of there and I need to get home...no BMW dealers around.

mike

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Yes, run tap fluid but do a complete drain when you get the proper fluid. I purchase only OEM fluid because extra 2 bucks is worth saving the possible extra wear on the engine. Just my opinion and I am sure someone is close by to correct!

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 Civic
    As long as it is phosphate/nitrate free you will be fine. I used some generic o'reilly stuff. I don't loose sleep over it and I'm pretty anal when it comes to my car maintenance. It's better than the old stuff that was in it before.

Just make sure you use distilled water. I picked up filtered drinking water, but luckily I figured out it was the wrong stuff before I did it and used the correct water.

My Cars
    are slow.
    distilled water only!!!! not tap(unless its an emergency)
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    95 325iS, 98 M3/4/5
    distiled water and bmw coolant... i will never run anything else in my cars... even on my dads ford truck.. distilled water and ford coolant... its just me being anal

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Zerex G-05 works too, I've read. It's what I run.
    And it's only $10 a gallon from Napa (not mixed).

My Cars
    '98.5 M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5 View Post
    Just wondering if I need to go and buy the OEM stuff?

Also, as a temp measure can I run just tap water in there? I failed to put the cap on right so a lot of the fluid steamed out of there and I need to get home...no BMW dealers around.

mike
    To get it home, a generic phosphate free coolant and tap water will be alright if it's the best you can do.

Find some distilled water (local grocery store?) if you can make it happen.

If it were my car, once it was home, it'd all get drained out for a proper fill of BMW coolant and distilled water as quickly as I could get my hands on the goods.

Cosmos on Black '98.5 M3 Coupe 5MT

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    I just used Zerex G-05 too, though it was more than $10.

I wouldn't use tap water because there is no way you will be able to flush the system bone dry.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent 930 View Post
    I just used Zerex G-05 too, though it was more than $10.

I wouldn't use tap water because there is no way you will be able to flush the system bone dry.
    just drain the tap water, then fill the car up with some straight distilled water (about 1.5 gallons), and start her up, and let it idle for a little bit to move the water around.

Drain again.

then BMW coolent/distilled.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    ^How can you just drain the tap water, or any water, fluid from the system?

Why would you go through all that trouble anyhow so you can put tap water in?

My Cars
    Z4MC, p-car projects
    distilled/bmw blue coolant.

My Cars
    1985 635 CSi
    Suspect you've already done what you need to to to get home. If you did indeed put tap water in... and you intend on draining the system, PLEEEEEEZ follow the proper bleeding procedure when you refill. If you don't have a Bentley manual, do a search on this forum, BimmerDIY.com, or Pelican.

Otherwise... your next post will look something like this:

"THE DEALER WANTS TO CHARGE ME A ZILLION DOLLARS FOR A NEW HEAD GASKET... WTF?!"

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe 6 SPD
    Thanks for the info. I posted the question when I got to school. When I leave (around 9PM) the local auto parts stores will be closed. There is a gas station here...so I'll look for 50/50 antifreeze/distilled water. If they have it great...if not I'll put tap water in it, then get the OEM liquids tomorrow from the dealer and go straight to my mechanic.

My Cars
    97 M3 4/5 Boston, Nissan Frontier, Toyota Matrix
    When I did my cooling system overhaul I made the trek to the stealer for the coolant and grocery store for the distilled.

Anyway, I had my Jeep into a local radiator only shop regarding, well doesnt matter.... But we got on the topic of distilled vs tap (I had used distilled in my Jeep too) and he said it doesnt make any difference in any car. I inquired if this was the same for BMW's and he just laughed and said that BMW's dont need it either. We started talking about antifreeze and I mentioned that I used BMW OEM coolant and he just laughed again and said BMW recommends it because it costs more....

He's been in the radiator business for 35+ years and basically said that I wouldnt know any better since radiator work is not something I do everyday, in a nice way.

I will still use distilled water and OEM coolant, but I thought it was an interesting conversation.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    I don't really think OEM HAS to be used for anything.
    As long as it's similar and serves the same purpose with the same contents, it will work.
    I assume you don't use the BMW Dealer oil for oil changes right?
    I did my first oil change. Boy, that was expensive.

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 335
    Distilled water and Prestone phosphate free coolant or equivalent at any auto parts store will work fine.

My Cars
    97' E36 M3 Track Car
    Quote Originally Posted by m0digital View Post
    Distilled water and Prestone phosphate free coolant or equivalent at any auto parts store will work fine.
    sounds good, i think i will do exactly that... with redline water wetter as well do you suggest? i'll be doing an overhaul with BW aluminum rad. and stewart water pump.

My Cars
    98' M3 Coupe
    Use Honda coolant if you cant get OEM or want to pay less, it is premixed already and its also blue. I have been using it always in all of my cars since I'm a Honda tech and I get that stuff for free. I also believe that Honda coolant is just as good if not the same thing as BMW OEM.

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 335
    Quote Originally Posted by OppLock1 View Post
    sounds good, i think i will do exactly that... with redline water wetter as well do you suggest? i'll be doing an overhaul with BW aluminum rad. and stewart water pump.
    Water wetter is probably not necessary if you still have your fan. I did the fan delete so I use 2 bottles of water wetter and 70/30 water/coolant. The water wetter may cause little brown globs to show up in your coolant. Don't be alarmed, its normal.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3/// View Post
    Use Honda coolant if you cant get OEM or want to pay less, it is premixed already and its also blue. I have been using it always in all of my cars since I'm a Honda tech and I get that stuff for free. I also believe that Honda coolant is just as good if not the same thing as BMW OEM.
    I use Honda pre-mixed coolant in my pasta bike's system with no worries
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    '96 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by m0digital View Post
    Water wetter is probably not necessary if you still have your fan. I did the fan delete so I use 2 bottles of water wetter and 70/30 water/coolant. The water wetter may cause little brown globs to show up in your coolant. Don't be alarmed, its normal.
    Truth. I started using Water Wetter with the fan delete and couldn't be happier. Never once ran over temp...

My Cars
    1997 M3
    i used 50/50 oem coolant and distilled water. Then added a bottle of redline water wetter. The oem coolant is clear and is almost the consitency of syrup ha.
    ~Nick
    '97 Arctic on Black ///M3

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresham1 View Post
    When I did my cooling system overhaul I made the trek to the stealer for the coolant and grocery store for the distilled.

Anyway, I had my Jeep into a local radiator only shop regarding, well doesnt matter.... But we got on the topic of distilled vs tap (I had used distilled in my Jeep too) and he said it doesnt make any difference in any car. I inquired if this was the same for BMW's and he just laughed and said that BMW's dont need it either. We started talking about antifreeze and I mentioned that I used BMW OEM coolant and he just laughed again and said BMW recommends it because it costs more....

He's been in the radiator business for 35+ years and basically said that I wouldnt know any better since radiator work is not something I do everyday, in a nice way.

I will still use distilled water and OEM coolant, but I thought it was an interesting conversation.
    This wouldn't bother me if our cooling system was like any other car's and didn't need to be overhauled every 80K miles. Since that is the case, I will use only BMW coolent and distilled water/water wetter for my baby so I don't become a member of the yearly cooling system overhaul club. BTW I just realize my contradictory statement above with the watter wetter. Hypocrite, though I may be, that's the way I will do it till she's gone by-da#%!

My Cars
    03 330i; 04 330i
    Check this out: http://www.geocities.com/dtmcbride/h...ntifreeze.html

Use BMW coolant. The difference will be less than five dollars. Ten if you consider the gas to get to the dealer. Or, go online and buy more parts to get free shipping.
    Last edited by Roguls; 03-03-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Roguls
    New York

My Cars
    97 M3, 08 X3-6m
    Along what Gresham1 said earlier, my dads a mechanic, and he told me that all his life, he's used regular antifreeze and tap water, and not a single engine has had problems because of it. We keep alot of our cars upwards of 15 years, so I'd think they would show some ill effects in that time period.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast