Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Alpine navigation vs. Pioneer navigation

My Cars
    Porsche Boxster Spyder

Alpine navigation vs. Pioneer navigation

Search didn't come up with anything.

Anyone who went through this process before? Which one did you pick? And why?

Seems to me Alpine (considered the best) has better monitors to choose from, better pixel quality. The navi is faster, easy to use interface. BUT

Pioneer's has better maps, also DVD base(fast), and touchscreen (a big plus), since Alpine have yet to come out with a touch screen.

I am leaning towards Pioneer, but Alpine is a very trust name to me, and is also much popular. But i was a little annoyed that I had to do everything with a remote, when I was using the alpine unit. I just wish the alpine was touchscreen.

Alpines monitors have one AV input, so it doesnt have the option to expand to DVD player in the future. Pioneer has 2. So 1 for navi, 1 for DVD player, or TV, or backup camera, etc.

Current: 2012 Porsche Boxster Spyder, 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
    Current demo: 2012 528xi
    Past: 1994 Porshce 964 3.6 turbo, 1999 M3 cv, 2000 323ci 2006 Z4 3.0si, 2009 335i Mcp, 2010 535xiT

My Cars
    M3, 328i
    Clinton,

I've been doing the same research as you (Pioneer VS Alpine NAV/DVD/ETC) and am leaning very much towards the Pioneer. The NAV system is much better--a friend of mine has a Pioneer NAV system and I LOVE the 3D Map View.

I'm looking at the Pioneer NAVSYS-910, let me know what you choose and maybe we can get some kinda Group Purchase or BULK discount deal or something?

-Justin
    1997 328i Jet Black (Sold)
    1995 M3 Daytona Violet (SOLD)
    Planning his return to Bimmerdom...

My Cars
    Porsche Boxster Spyder
    Yes, I like Pioneer better. Even I am a big Alpine fan.

I am going with Pioneer,
    AVIC80 DVD navigation, MSRP $1,900

and

AVDW6210 monitor, MSRP $750

I am taking the OBC out (is useless to me), fiberglass mount in the space of OBC and sunglasses holder underneath it. Similar to picture below, except,pic shown with alpine screen, Pioneer's will be in silver, also touchscreen. The reason I am doing this is because i have more flexibility in head units. I couldnt justify spending 2 grand on a flip up, 1500 for navi, and etc. Where doing it this way, I can always switch a head unit without a huge financial commitment.

I am also getting a backup camera mounted in the rear valance. Which will be hooked up the the second AV input on the pioneer monitor. Alpine has only one AV input.

Sound Concept, Beadford Hills NY, 3 days minimum, installed for $2,800 total. But I guess you are going with a flip up. It will probably be another 1000 bucks more. Let me know before next tuesday, I can see if they can give me a bigger deal if we both do it there. As you can see, they are giving me a very good pricing. My car will be there at least tuesday, wed, and thursday, so hopefully, i'll have it before the meet.
    Past: 1994 Porshce 964 3.6 turbo, 1999 M3 cv, 2000 323ci 2006 Z4 3.0si, 2009 335i Mcp, 2010 535xiT

My Cars
    1998 Techno Violet M3
    make sure you post pics of your setup
    i am very anxious to see it!
    1998 Techno Violet M3 : X-ed,Ground-controlled (track/school), JTD undepanel, zkws, euros all round, CATs 4500 HIDs, PAR CAI, Front Euro-Floaters,...

WTB 18 button OBC. WTB 18 button OBC. WTB 18 button OBC.

My Cars
    M3, 328i
    Originally posted by ClintonM3
    Yes, I like Pioneer better. Even I am a big Alpine fan.

I am going with Pioneer,
    AVIC80 DVD navigation, MSRP $1,900

and

AVDW6210 monitor, MSRP $750

I am taking the OBC out (is useless to me), fiberglass mount in the space of OBC and sunglasses holder underneath it. Similar to picture below, except,pic shown with alpine screen, Pioneer's will be in silver, also touchscreen. The reason I am doing this is because i have more flexibility in head units. I couldnt justify spending 2 grand on a flip up, 1500 for navi, and etc. Where doing it this way, I can always switch a head unit without a huge financial commitment.

I am also getting a backup camera mounted in the rear valance. Which will be hooked up the the second AV input on the pioneer monitor. Alpine has only one AV input.

Sound Concept, Beadford Hills NY, 3 days minimum, installed for $2,800 total. But I guess you are going with a flip up. It will probably be another 1000 bucks more. Let me know before next tuesday, I can see if they can give me a bigger deal if we both do it there. As you can see, they are giving me a very good pricing. My car will be there at least tuesday, wed, and thursday, so hopefully, i'll have it before the meet.
    Clinton,

The Pioneer NAV-SYS910DVD Combo, which is comprised of the AVIC-80DVD (the same NAVI unit you are getting) and the AVH-P6500DVD (in-dash flip-out with 6.5" LCD screen w/ built-in DVD/CD/MP3 player) is going for only $1,950 BUY IT NOW on eBay. And it is all new and sealed in the box!

Since it's a flip-out, installation will be a lot easier and cheaper since no fiberglass mount will be needed.

Just thought you should know before you buy. But good luck and take MANY PICS!!!

-Justin

My Cars
    Porsche Boxster Spyder
    why is it so much cheaper than retail?

My Cars
    M3, 328i
    Originally posted by ClintonM3
    why is it so much cheaper than retail?
    These units are no longer the NEWEST, TOP OF THE LINE ones. If you're a wholesaler or have some contacts, there should be no trouble getting these for MUCH LESS than MSRP.

-Justin

My Cars
    M3, 328i
    Oh and Clinton, FYI, the Pioneer NAV-SYS610DVD combo, which is comprised of the EXACT two pieces you are getting, is going for $1350, brand new, BUY IT NOW, on eBay.

Just buy it off eBay and pay for the install at the shop. You'll save a TON.

Just keepin an eye out for that wallet...

-Justin