Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Small brake upgrade

My Cars
    90 535i
    where the hell is our update

My Cars
    BMWs
    Oops!

Got my 10mm vac spacers they are nice, BUT, the caliper still just rubs the wheel So, I have two options, pursue 348mm rotors but make clearances REALLY close. Or go to the 334mm rotor. I am leaning toward 334mm. This is the 17" Rondells - 18's would clear for sure.

My Cars
    1/2
    Are you using the SL6R Wilwoods?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brody View Post
    The big bang happened in an M30 block

My Cars
    BMWs
    Yes

My Cars
    535i m30 turbo in boxes
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Oops!

Got my 10mm vac spacers they are nice, BUT, the caliper still just rubs the wheel So, I have two options, pursue 348mm rotors but make clearances REALLY close. Or go to the 334mm rotor. I am leaning toward 334mm. This is the 17" Rondells - 18's would clear for sure.

Guess you need to buy my RD staggered 18's.

Why are you not running the welds and drag radials anymore?
    HX55 535i
    My turbo is bigger than your turbo
    http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/h...espeedfactory/

My Cars
    BMWs
    Nah I got my eye on some 18" Keskins

I can still run the welds in the rear. I wanted to do this to figure out some alternatives for E34 guys.

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528
    looking very good so far, trying to hold out on brakes till i see the results of this venture, Im running 18s so should have plenty of room. Im think im definitely taxing the stock set up with the supercharger.
    95 325- s/c S50 01 X5-daily 95 840ci- boost incoming

My Cars
    BMWs
    A little progress!

I was a doofus and didn't bring the material up to Jays on Sunday but that worked out best because I had to get home and put the Suburban back together - gah.

I received my fittings in the mail today. These are the fittings necessary to adapt BMW brake lines to the Wilwood calipers. Very hard to find - I think there is ONE manufacturer and they were a little difficult to order (2) from.

BMW Meet in west chester area this saturday I am going to try and get to. Leaving the NJ shore saturday at 9AM, so hopefully that all works out. Then maybe up to Jays on sunday with the material if hes around.

My Cars
    1990 525, 03 530
    What scent is that candle?

SMOKED HEADLIGHTS FOR SALE

Currently smoking everything and saving for wheels and springs.
    accepting donations!

My Cars
    1/2
    ^^^
    wtf

Jon- Stop fiddling with the burb, we need more progress & updates.
    Last edited by kipwinger; 07-21-2009 at 12:46 AM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Haha trying man, trying

My Cars
    BMWs
    Today Jay and I tackled the BBK adapters. We made a prototype a few months ago and I finally found the fittings needed for the calipers so we followed up. Saturday we'll be hitting the final steps of the brackets. Until then here are some pics from today, and a video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_FR8ENtZ8[/ame]

My Cars
    1993 525iT/5, 1998 M3
    Whoa. Bitchin' Can't wait to see them on the car. I've always wanted that bigass kit to slow down my 2.5L of fury heh

I love how the rotor surface has more width than the pad.

Also, who did that Such Great Heights remix?

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    Ugh and i thought playing around on a lathe was cool.

My Cars
    BMWs
    From concept to creation - we make more than t-shirts.

Better pics tomorrow!

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    mmmm, looks nice, i took my E34 for a spirited drive today through the mountainside with my mates, 1999 WRX, 1993 S13 SR20DET, and a Cefiro, mine braked as good if not better than the last two, at the bottom of the mountain though, the brakes definately had a noticable amount of heat in them as they were glowing when i pulled over, still no fade though!

However, what does a set of the willwoods generally cost?

My Cars
    4er
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney85 View Post
    mmmm, looks nice, i took my E34 for a spirited drive today through the mountainside with my mates, 1999 WRX, 1993 S13 SR20DET, and a Cefiro, mine braked as good if not better than the last two, at the bottom of the mountain though, the brakes definately had a noticable amount of heat in them as they were glowing when i pulled over, still no fade though!

However, what does a set of the willwoods generally cost?
    ~800 a set.
    One expensive unicycle.

General Forum Rules........Off-Topic Rules

My Cars
    86 911, 91 XJ
    very sweet Jon!

My Cars
    98 540i, 95 540i (dead)
    Holy crap, when you say you're going to do something, you get it done!

+Rep for making your own bracket, and great quality too!

The only downside I see from this is not a lot of market profit if you were to offer these for sale. $800+ for better brakes is pretty steep considering there aren't a lot of high-powered E34s that need better stopping power. Still, it's a great step forward for E34 performance parts .

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

My Cars
    E34 & E39
    Damn, this is close fitment...

Probably going to need to use a 5mm spacer. It fits, but is tight.

My Cars
    E34 540i
    What's the surface contact of the pads on those rotors? Looks by the pic like about 60%. They designed for a much smaller rotor?

My Cars
    Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by scyrusurcys View Post
    Holy crap, when you say you're going to do something, you get it done!

+Rep for making your own bracket, and great quality too!

The only downside I see from this is not a lot of market profit if you were to offer these for sale. $800+ for better brakes is pretty steep considering there aren't a lot of high-powered E34s that need better stopping power. Still, it's a great step forward for E34 performance parts .
    This kit is going to make a big brake kit on the e34 an affordable scenario. There's hardly a whole lot of aftermarket parts for our cars, it's awesome that we have options now. Look for more in the future.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    What's the surface contact of the pads on those rotors? Looks by the pic like about 60%. They designed for a much smaller rotor?
    The model is SL6R14. They're designed for up to 14" rotors. To keep costs down we use another models BMW rotor. The coverage is not the full face of the rotor, but thats not what matters. What matters is the torque arm (distance of pad engagement to the center of the hub) which provides you with your ability to grab the rotor and slow it more effectively. The pad footprint is farther out, and is not as tall as a factory pad, but its ~2x longer. Alternatively you can run rotors like these:

But the rotor blanks are $250/ea and the hats are $550 for ap air, so that's another $1,000 to have your pads "touch the full rotor face" which is just smaller in that scenario. The two piece design is nice, but should not be necessary - the caliper is definitely not designed for a smaller rotor, however.

My Cars
    M42,M60,M62,M62TU
    The model is SL6R14. They're designed for up to 14" rotors. To keep costs down we use another models BMW rotor. The coverage is not the full face of the rotor, but thats not what matters. What matters is the torque arm (distance of pad engagement to the center of the hub) which provides you with your ability to grab the rotor and slow it more effectively. The pad footprint is farther out, and is not as tall as a factory pad, but its ~2x longer. Alternatively you can run rotors like these:

But the rotor blanks are $250/ea and the hats are $550 for ap air, so that's another $1,000 to have your pads "touch the full rotor face" which is just smaller in that scenario. The two piece design is nice, but should not be necessary - the caliper is definitely not designed for a smaller rotor, however.
    I think what he meant is that there is room to increase pad size inwards( this would likely mean a bigger caliper either longer or extending further inward)., not to decrease rotor size.

Pad surface area does matter, as does torque arm. Another, often not mentioned, benefit of larger rotors is increased mass, and surface area for heat disipation (especially important for roadcourse work). In my personal use, functionally- nothing matters more than this. I mean with track pads my miniature stock brakes work great, until they start causing fires and boiling fluid...both of which obviously have little to do with pad size or or torque arm.

For around $800- I think this looks like a 'win'.

e34 540i/6 :: e30
    M62/6 :: e30 318is :: c5 Z06

My Cars
    BMWs
    The calipers are $410 ea, the rotors are $80 - $100, and the adapters are $265 w/ hardware + s/h, so its more than $800, but its not that bad at all.

Increasing pad size toward the center of the rotor doesn't do you anything. The length of the pad (more area) and the even pressure of 6 pistons evenly pressing across the surface makes all the difference. If you compare it to a Brembo/Wilwood/Stoptech/etc kit, it has more "uncovered rotor", but thats only because we aren't using mounting hats that are large - we're using a stock big BMW rotor

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast