Thread: Fuel Injector Questions in reference to M/S50 Manifold Install

My Cars
    '96 OBDI 328i, '95 540i

Question Fuel Injector Questions in reference to M/S50 Manifold Install

Ok, I've been having issues of hard/cold start-ups since I did the m/s50 manifold swap into my 96 328i. I read that a lot of people are having the same issue. My problem arised when I noticed I wasn't retaining fuel in the rail. I changed the pressure regulator and fuel pump. Now I can retain fuel in the rail. I have checked and tripled check every possible vacuum leak going to the manifold wheareas I changed the cam sensor while I was in there. I also changed the lame intake boot to a Samco boot. Next I believe I have a leaky injector because I noticed white smoke coming out my exhaust sometimes after I finally get the car to start. It usually takes 3 initial attempts of cranking before she starts. My questions.....

1. I searched and read about testing leaky injectors via googling. Basically stating that I should remove the injectors from the manifold but keep the injector attached to the rail. Then pressurize the system by turning the key to the "ON" position but not cranking. Then I should check for dripping from the injectors.

Is this a good way of doing it? Or is there a different way I should attempt this?

2. I plan on changing the o-rings and pintle caps on my injectors. On top of that the filter inside the injectors.

Is it hard to remove the internal filter from the fuel injector? Is it wise to attempt this? I do have extra injectors in case one is damaged.

Any constructive input will be appreciated. Please do not post if you do not have info to relate to my questions or situation. Thanks.
    -'95 E34 540i/6sp (daily driver)
    K&N CAI, Dinan Chip, Short Thow Shifter, Eisemann exhaust, Mostly Stock
    -'92 B13 Sentra SE-R/5sp (project car)
    SR20DET swap and more

-'96 E36 328i/5Sp (Sold)
    OBDI Converted 2.8, TRM Chip, S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, M3 3.23 LSD, M3 rear sway bar, Gripforce clutch/ 16lb flywheel, Ark cat-back exhaust, Modified stock air-box w/ K&N filter,Bavauto CDV, Samco intake boot, R1 concept slot/drilled rotors, PBR/Axis UTL pads, Fan Delete Mod, UUC underdrive pulleys, Depo headlights w/ 6000k hids, Depo fog lights w/ 8000k hids, clear corners, Bavauto caliper bushing upgrade, UUC RTAB, Bimmeworld Subframe Mounts, AKG Diff. Mounts, UUC tranny mounts, Custom Interior, FK Coilovers, New Front suspension, SS replica headers, SS resonators, oem rear M bumper,Rebuilt Vanos, Home Depot Lip more to come...
    Future mods: Ported throttle body, Custom Tune.
    328 Mafia #13
    -'05 Dodge NSrt-4 (dead)
    Too many mods to list.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    You have all the classic symptoms of a leaking injector. Do yourself a favor and send them out to be overhauled. I just sent mine to a company in Miami that does these for 80 bucks and yes they did a first rate job. You cannot correct the problem yourself because you don't have the equipment to run the injector with a cleaner and then balance the injectors.
    Oh and by the way my turn around time was shipped via USPS Thursday back Wednesday looking like new with all new pintles, O rings and now corrected balanced and cleaned so they will not leak down.

There are other places that can do this for you but strongly suggest you do this as I think it will correct your problem...

My Cars
    '96 OBDI 328i, '95 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
    You have all the classic symptoms of a leaking injector. Do yourself a favor and send them out to be overhauled. I just sent mine to a company in Miami that does these for 80 bucks and yes they did a first rate job. You cannot correct the problem yourself because you don't have the equipment to run the injector with a cleaner and then balance the injectors.
    Oh and by the way my turn around time was shipped via USPS Thursday back Wednesday looking like new with all new pintles, O rings and now corrected balanced and cleaned so they will not leak down.

There are other places that can do this for you but strongly suggest you do this as I think it will correct your problem...
    Thanks for the feedback. I will look into send a set of injectors off to be cleaned. But for the mean time I think I will change the orings in the ones I have on the car.
    SR20DET swap and more

-'96 E36 328i/5Sp (Sold)
    OBDI Converted 2.8, TRM Chip, S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, M3 3.23 LSD, M3 rear sway bar, Gripforce clutch/ 16lb flywheel, Ark cat-back exhaust, Modified stock air-box w/ K&N filter,Bavauto CDV, Samco intake boot, R1 concept slot/drilled rotors, PBR/Axis UTL pads, Fan Delete Mod, UUC underdrive pulleys, Depo headlights w/ 6000k hids, Depo fog lights w/ 8000k hids, clear corners, Bavauto caliper bushing upgrade, UUC RTAB, Bimmeworld Subframe Mounts, AKG Diff. Mounts, UUC tranny mounts, Custom Interior, FK Coilovers, New Front suspension, SS replica headers, SS resonators, oem rear M bumper,Rebuilt Vanos, Home Depot Lip more to come...
    328 Mafia #13
    -'05 Dodge NSrt-4 (dead)
    Too many mods to list.

My Cars
    1991 325i Coupe
    Seeing as how its a peice of cake to remove the injectors, I'd send them off asap since you have (six?) replacements...

My Cars
    328iC 1996
    I have the exact same problem. I've replaced the o-rings and pindle caps (call RC Engineering in CA for the caps if you can't find them elsewhere) and that didn't fix anything. Please let me know if a leaky injector is the culprit.

My Cars
    '96 OBDI 328i, '95 540i
    Well, I checked for a leaky injector and couldn't find one. I was disappointed because I was hoping to swap out that injector. I did test the pressure via valve on the rail. I sprayed fuel everywhere, so fuel pressure is good. I did get a little anxious and wanted to see what one of the filters in the injectors looked like. I pulled one out and it was a brownish-red color compared to the white color of the new filter. So I got bored and replaced all injector filters. Pretty easy if I recall. I also installed new o-rings and pintle caps. I have the other injectors packed and ready to send off. Before I send them off, I want to test to see if doing what I done made any differences. So far today my car started on the first try, but my car only sat for as long as two hours. Currently my car is going on 3 hours as I am at work. I will atempt to start my car on the first try when I hit the 4 hour mark. Wish me luck.
    SR20DET swap and more

-'96 E36 328i/5Sp (Sold)
    328 Mafia #13
    -'05 Dodge NSrt-4 (dead)
    Too many mods to list.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    well?