Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Not sure if there is a class for this, low budget Father Son Build '79 E21

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Started to look like a race car. Keep it coming

My Cars
    318i 325xi
    Looks like you are having the most fun, and I hooked on the build! An E21 is soo much fun on the track.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver///M View Post
    Started to look like a race car. Keep it coming
    Thanks - It is starting to get there, looking more like a functional car then a piece of lawn art.

Looks like you are having the most fun, and I hooked on the build! An E21 is soo much fun on the track.
    It is getting back to where we are having fun again, for a while it became just work..Looking forward to getting this back on the track.

Well it has been a while since I have posted a progress report; we have been working away at it, slowly. And the sawzall for the most part has not been brought out to the work area for any more parts removal… But I have learned how to use it for starting the tube notches and it is used to sizing tubes.

Trunk area is done pretty much done:
    * Fuel cell completely mounted
    * Missing trunk floor replaced with .040” thick aluminum
    * Battery Mount bolted in
    * Battery mounted and strapped in
    * Battery cables done in trunk area
    * All fuel lines in
    * Fuel Filter in
    * Fuel Pump in
    * Tail Light housings in
    * Fuel Cell breather in

Interior Area:
    * Rear package tray installed – more .040” aluminum
    * Rear interior – trunk divider in .040” aluminum
    * Rear Window installed – stock Glass for now
    * Decided to use the stock dash, it has been fit but is out now for more cage welding and the start of the wiring
    * Few more holes and things patched or welded up

Cage:
    * Front down tubes fit up and welded in
    * Front top and middle cross bars in
    * Stock steering column brace cut out (sawzall found its way over to the car) to make room for bracket from middle cross bar to be made

Question needing input on cage design – what are your opinions on the roof area diagonals from the main loop to the front top cross bar?
    1). 2 needed?
    2). “V” or two parallel ones 6” apart down the center?
    3). or “X” corner to corner?
    I am not to wild about an “X” or any design that puts something above my head, as I seat high in this little car. This is so because I share the car with my son, so if I had put the seat lower then it will be too low for him.

Wiring:
    * Panels for dash have been cut out of “Yes you guessed it” .040” aluminum
    * Order of wire and parts from Del City arrived this week
    * Lots more time thinking “what have I got myself into”, from looking at all these electrical things sitting on the bench

Plan is – each toggle will have a circuit breaker right above it. Important ones will have an LED light above the breaker. All power goes through the master battery switch, none toggle circuits will go through a fuse block. Hopefully high amp circuits like cooling fan and head lights if installed will have relays under the hood close to them with inline fuses.

Wiring came from Del City Monday this week so I gots more stuff:

I spent some time in the garage at night this week getting the switch panel finished up - it is now ready to power up and get wired to the pieces it runs:

This is party much where we are at the moment, hope to get more done this weekend like:

* Dash mounts welded in
    * Fuel pump and tail light wires cut and in
    * Quick release steering wheel adapter in
    * Lower front cross bar to floor braces in
    * More wiring done and in

Will keep you up dated, Oldman

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    We have done a lot and stopped doing somethings - Wanted to drive it so we got it running. Will do a picture video post soon and bring you all up to date. I took it out to BMWCCA Los Angeles Chapters auto-cross at California Speedway yesterday (9-6-09), had a great time car ran good by the end of the day.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    2000 323ci
    Crunkest old man ever!!!

I love the work and the car, great job both of you, keep building her

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    will you be there tuesday? maybe ill show up and take some pics
    RIP homie TehPandaShow: Loiue

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilez@EuroDyne View Post
    will you be there tuesday? maybe ill show up and take some pics
    We will not make it tonight - still fixing the brakes, we will be out next week and so will HDX with his E21 Race Car.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu

We have been driving this -

Will it has been awhile since I have posted an update - Sorry - been busy playing “driving the car” and at work building a car for SEMA – but that is another story..

Anyway on with this one:
    We ran out of steam, got tried of cutting tubes and making parts, and looking at the car sitting on jack stands. Most importantly, my lovely bride / wife of 29.6 years got tried of the time I was spending with the other girl over the last 10 months and away from her…

So we stopped work on the cage fab and such and did what was needed to the car to make it safe to run in Autocross:

1). Wired it up (crudely) - still need to put it all in shielding & hook up and run a few more circuits.
    Only working lights are brake lights and gage lighting.
    2). Did what was needed to put the belts in on the driver’s side correctly
    3). Fuel Lines
    4). Tuned carb – somewhat still needs some work, we are only able to run it as a two barrel right now. Bogs and loads up when the secondarys are working coming out of corners too much fuel I think.
    5). Put dash in and got three out of five planned gages working.
    Tach, Water Temp, Oil Pressure – need to get oil temp and volt gages going
    6). Cut and put in the .090” thick Lexan rear quarter windows with vents.
    Not sure what they will do yet, either rear brake ducts or driver fresh air – if we do driver fresh air with them I may put in two more vents later for the rear brakes or ??
    7). Did some clean up from all the work and went racing…..

We worked for about two more weeks after we got it running (on and off – still need to watch my time spent with the other woman) on the timing and carb to get it to run good. Works great on all four barrels of the carb when the wheels are off the ground, but under a load it just seems to load up. Found this out at our first autocross outing, so off came the linkage to the secondarys and we run it as a two barrel.

Here are some pictures of the last bit of work we did – I have to say we did not take as many progress pictures as we have in the past during this time of working. Some will be thinking “good, I do not have to see three pictures of the same weld, while others -?- ok maybe one - may say oh no, more pictures please!”

Dash mounts and front cross tube

Some of the wiring

And the Dash installed

Engine bay wiring

Rear cage bar

Belts

Exhaust in - note this is pieced together as I am still working on a finished system on paper:

Video with me talking and moving too much of the first start up..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrdrI5Yw7sU"]LINK[/ame]

Pictures of our first outing at Cal Speedway, with the LA Chapter's September Autocross, I drove and Adam took the pictures he had places to be and money to save. I did not do too bad I managed a third place in “D” class with the little 2.0lt
    motor once I got the gearing figured out. This car has really weird gearing in it - never sure what gear to run in, first gear is go to 30 mph where in the four cylinder it goes to about 18 mph.

And a bad video, sorry I forgot to turn off the camera and I still can not use the software yet to fix it. This is one of the runs I was trying to figure out what gear to run in - ended up running the whole coarse in 2nd by the time the timed runs started - just lived with the bog out of some corners:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTi-COAYFTE"]LINK[/ame]

We have also taking it out to a local Go-Kart track where they run time attack events every Tuesday night:

One of Adams Runs: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDeoZvagXMM"]Link[/ame] [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJQtUZ0i6T4"]One of my runs, I need to put in some head lights..[/ame]

We figured out that our brakes suck big time – we ran the right front tire down to the steel belts and cut a few of them after about 30 or so runs. In comparison the left front is almost as good as it was when we put it on. When we pulled the brakes apart, we found that the pistons in the left front caliper did not move till the forth pump of the brake peddle. 10 months of sitting??
    We also took the rear brakes apart the worked the adjusters around and around with penetrating oil and cleaner so that they now move, and I just thought E21’s had bad brakes.

So what we did to fix the front, is a long standing E21 upgrade in the Legion –
    1). We replaced the stock 79 and up solid rotors with 75-78 E21 vented rotors
    2). Replaced the stock two piston front calipers with 80’s (?) Volvo 240 four piston calipers
    Some machining was required along with “T’ing” the steel brake lines into two that run to the calipers.
    3). Put in PorterField RS4 front pads

Original brakes before we took them off:

NEW Volvo 240 calipers with early 320 rotors:

In the Rear we:
    1). Replaced the shoes with PorterField RS4 shoes
    2). Made sure the adjusters worked correctly and smoothly before rear assembly.
    3). Adjusted and re adjusted the rear brakes – we need rear disc!

What we still plan to work on piece by piece in the coming months as I can sneak in:

CAGE-
    1). Roof X tubes
    2). Door X tubes
    3). Adding some gusset tubes to the corners of the cage
    4). Rear sub-frame mounts
    a. may make some solid ones or urethane filled stock ones
    b. while doing the mounts want to rise the rear sub frame about 2 to 3 inches up into the car
    c. tie the rear sub-frame into the cage via the tubes I ran through the rear seat area
    d. make the rear trailing arm mounts adjustable for toe-in and chamber
    5). Gut the doors and finish them off with lexan windows so I can do the cage door X’s
    6). More muffler
    7). E30 rear disc mod

Long term plans include – while Staying Married to the Greatest Lady in the world! “Sorry for the rest of you guys” but!

Anyway:
    1). Lexan front windshield and rear window
    2). Continuing cage/tube chassis down to the front of car

3). Designing new front suspension
    4). Real brake upgrade like to Wilwood or such “Big”
    5). Big -Rear disc brakes
    6). 2.7 to 2.8Lt. motor build – we have an E30 Super ETA and another 2.0Lt. head – so?
    7). Rear wing
    8). Wide body??
    9). 5 Lug upgrade
    10). New front air dam and splitter
    11). A couple of more rear ends with different gearing, 4.10 and a 3.91
    12). ???? this is also a never ending story.

That’s all for now – Daryl

Another loooooong post….
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 10-11-2009 at 10:55 AM.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by IWannaBMW View Post
    Crunkest old man ever!!!

I love the work and the car, great job both of you, keep building her
    I am working at it...

Thanks it has really been great to be able to drive it again!

My Cars
    '71 Bavaria
    amazing work! hope to see you in may!

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickysbmw320i View Post
    amazing work! hope to see you in may!
    Thanks Ricky - maybe we will tow the track car up to Bimmerfest in 2010.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 10-15-2009 at 08:38 PM.

My Cars
    E30 318is, E34 Touring
    Suscribed! Now that I have the 525iT and two E30 318's (an I and an IS) I cant figure out which one I want to rip apart! Ideally I want to do this exact type of build, only much more long term as I will be learning all of the techniques you already know, and me being on a strict budget.....Semper Fi brother...from a younger corps.....
    -Jarod

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten." -A Senior Enlisted U.S. Marine

"Dont bitch about it if you've done nothing to try and make it better." -Me

"Leeb it to Bradder, Bradder" -Jayson Guzman

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJerd View Post
    Suscribed! Now that I have the 525iT and two E30 318's (an I and an IS) I cant figure out which one I want to rip apart! Ideally I want to do this exact type of build, only much more long term as I will be learning all of the techniques you already know, and me being on a strict budget.....Semper Fi brother...from a younger corps.....

Thanks - we have been having fun with this little car! The E30 318iS is a good beginner track car with lots of aftermarket support parts out there. But I would rip apart the one in the worse condition I think, depends on how much of that Hawaiian rust you have going on. Doing it slow and steady is the way to go - but I think it is good to do things that can be finished so you can drive it on a regular basis between up grades - if the build takes too long you can loss drive to finish it. When I was stationed at K-bay, I had a Flintstoned 56 chevy two post - could watch the street going by (through the floor) from all four seats.

You at Pearl, K-Bay or home and out? - I spent 2 years at K-bay in H&HS Co., 1st Bat, 3rd Mar. H&HS Co. 1st Marine Brigade, way back when the corp. still had a couple Brigades…then went to El Toro for 1.5 years 3rd Marine Air Wing, Com. Squadron. but this is all old history of an old man.. hehehe

Thanks for your service Marine - Semper Fi - and congrats on the new baby on the way!
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 10-13-2009 at 09:15 PM.

My Cars
    E30 318is, E34 Touring
    Ive been stationed at K-Bay for 2 years this coming January and to be honest, I LOVE IT THERE!!! I live in Pearl Harbor Housing out on Pearl City Penninsula and usually ride my Honda VTR1000 Superhawk to and from work over the H3. Im part of MAG-24 and as I said before, I love it out there! Currently Im in Yuma for some training but Ill be back in Hawaii in November just in time to compete in enough Solo 2 events to make run-offs!

I have 2 E30's like I said before. An 85 318i with ZERO rust (!!!!!) and perfectly straight body panels and shiney paint. Its been extremely well preserved. Its has the ever dependable M10 and a 5 speed, complete interior and everything works. HOWEVER it has some kind of electrical bug under the hood. When the engine is cold, itll start and run great for about 15-20 minutes no matter the conditions. You could be idling, driving, racing, whatever.....after that itll just die. No sputtering or trying to pedal it back to life. It just dies like you turned off the key. The ONLY way to get it to fire back up and get it home is to UNPLUG the AFM. It doesnt run great (crazy rich) but itll make it home. Im tempted to convert it to a carb and see where that takes me.

The other E30 is my beloved 1991 318is. Ive been autocrossing this car for a season and a half now and if it werent for this damn det to Yuma, Id be sweeping the points race for FSP this year. It has only two tiny flakes of rust and they will be gone when I get home. Its sterling silver metallic and only has 98,000 miles. I know this one sound like the one to keep pristine...but it has the better platform for racing. Neither is a daily driver any more.

So my options are 1) gut, cage, possibly motor swap the 318i or 2) Gut, cage, and make a solid 318is....
    -Jarod

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten." -A Senior Enlisted U.S. Marine

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Sounds like you have two great E-30's, the iS should be the better platform for the race car.. Not a clue as to your running problems with the other e-30, E21's have a totally different fuel system in them.

Do they still have the Motocross track on K-bay? When I was there it was out by the rifle range and the picnic cove/bay at the south side of the base. I loved K-bay; almost re-upped to stay, but did not.

I loved Hawaii when I was there!

Every been to pock-a-loa "not sure how to spell it" area on the big Island - I really enjoyed leave in Kona.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 07-21-2010 at 09:27 AM.

My Cars
    E30 318is, E34 Touring
    Nope....what use to be a motocross track is now just a wild life area with beach access points throughout it. The only crossing of any kind on the island is the Auto cross over at the stadium.

I need to make it over to some of the other islands, ive never been to any other ones yet.....still on my to-do list.
    -Jarod

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJerd View Post
    Nope....what use to be a motocross track is now just a wild life area with beach access points throughout it. The only crossing of any kind on the island is the Auto cross over at the stadium.

I need to make it over to some of the other islands, ive never been to any other ones yet.....still on my to-do list.

Being a grunt "field radio operator" - I got a lot of free rides in helo's to about 6 of the Islands while I was there - even got to call in F-4 Phantom air strikes on
    Kahoolawe once, six 500 pound'ers going of at once is a big boom. - Anyway safe training to you KingJerd!

My Cars
    E30 318is, E34 Touring
    Right on brother!

Still wanting more updates!!!
    -Jarod

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    looking good

let me know a week in advance when you going to adams track so i can go watch.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Awesome job on the e21. My father has a 76 316i back home in NZ. I keep sending parts but theyre just accumulating in his garage.
    I will live vicariously through your build.... I have a long ways to go on my e24 635 build.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilez@EuroDyne View Post
    looking good

let me know a week in advance when you going to adams track so i can go watch.
    Thanks Ray - I will let you know, still trying to catch up after SEMA we may go out to Adam's on the 17th (Oh -my B/day) maybe I'll take the whole day off from work! I will PM you what we are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by daniels635turbo View Post
    Awesome job on the e21. My father has a 76 316i back home in NZ. I keep sending parts but theyre just accumulating in his garage.
    I will live vicariously through your build.... I have a long ways to go on my e24 635 build.
    Nice looking 635, looks like a great DD.

Hopefully one day you and your dad will get your E21 fixed up, it is a never ending journey. I do not think I will ever finish this build - always more to do.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 11-11-2009 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    well happy belated b day

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    OLD MAN, this is a truly impressive and inspiring build.

the cage looks awesome. semi-tube frame E21 like the old group 5 cars would be impressive. I bet your car weighs around 2100 lbs. any idea?

what type of circuit breaker panel is that? moroso?
    what kind of wing are you looking at?
    do you feel the car is much stiffer after doing the cage and suspension tie-ins?
    what kind of suspension do you want? VAC makes a tubular front suspension that is supposed to be very nice. but it's $3 grand. ouch. with your background, you could fab some double A arms and wishbone suspension....that would be a big improvement.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Wow, cool build from a Inland empire neighbor! I'm a bit of a old dude too, hope to purchase (don't have time or room or skills to build one yet) a car in the next few years to share with my oldest two sons. (20, 18 - all three DD rides in sig pic) Can't beat Motorsports for family fun....

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
    OLD MAN, this is a truly impressive and inspiring build.

the cage looks awesome. semi-tube frame E21 like the old group 5 cars would be impressive. I bet your car weighs around 2100 lbs. any idea?

what type of circuit breaker panel is that? moroso?
    what kind of wing are you looking at?
    do you feel the car is much stiffer after doing the cage and suspension tie-ins?
    what kind of suspension do you want? VAC makes a tubular front suspension that is supposed to be very nice. but it's $3 grand. ouch. with your background, you could fab some double A arms and wishbone suspension....that would be a big improvement.
    Thanks Joe - it has been fun but sometimes thing take to long...

• I do not not how much it weights, hope to get it on some scale this week I have a friend "HDX on the forums" here we race with who's E21 is 1795lbs needs to add 200lbs for SCCA EP class
    • The whole dash is how made from elect. parts bought from Dell City on line.
    • My friend HDX makes glass and graphite wings or some BMWCAA racers so he is going to make me one when we get to that stag
    • It was 10 months between runs from the last old cage/no chassis to the new cage/chassis first run so to be honest we did not notice a difference. And the car had a 6 point bolt in/ weld in cage we took out along with a rear strut tower brace so the rear was not stock before.
    • I will be making most of my own suspension parts, I can draw them all up in solid works and I have lots of pictures - but first I need to get my other car silver 80iS running so I do not start Joans'in really bad when we rip into the front end. The plans are to put in new brake and clutch pedals - get rid of the stock buster and master so I can connect the front "A" pillar down tube to the front of the car. Going to go all the way to the to the the front sway bar mounts. Ditch the stock cross member and weld engine mounts to the frame I make . Then I will make my own front suspension parts or graphite in some E30 or E36 lower front control arms. I have not really figured out what I want to do yet - having fun driving it for right now. A couple of weeks ago I was toying with the idea of a Miata front suspension step up in the front...

To me (unless the project starts to last for ever) the build is as fun as the driving - almost.

Quote Originally Posted by JETninja View Post
    Wow, cool build from a Inland empire neighbor! I'm a bit of a old dude too, hope to purchase (don't have time or room or skills to build one yet) a car in the next few years to share with my oldest two sons. (20, 18 - all three DD rides in sig pic) Can't beat Motorsports for family fun....
    Thanks, my son Adam who is 24 and I do enjoy the car and the driving of it!

You should try and come out to and event one day - auto-X in your DD is not too hard on it and it is a hoot. LA chapter will be at California speedway on March 21st - it is free to come out watch and meet some people. There is not even a gate fee.

UP Date note:

I have done a few more mods to the car, a welded 3.01 diff, I polyurethane filled some rear sub frame mounts and we raised the rear sub frame diff and all 1.5" up into the car. So we can run the car lower now and still have the rear suspension with in the factory settings. We drove the car in San Diego on Feb 20th - here are a couple of shoots and a video of Adam driving a practice run. We were running on a new set of Hankook Rs3's 225-45 / 15's These are really great tires!

There are a couple of other things I want to do under the car, so I will get some photos of the mods we did then.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCL8FlBTXQ8[/ame]
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 03-17-2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast