Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Not sure if there is a class for this, low budget Father Son Build '79 E21

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    I know - I think my problem is "I Thinks - too much"

Build plan foundation is to work on the idea/thinking of a tubular chassis configuration, my plans are more along the lines of building a tubular chassis inside the body shell. So I am looking at it from the point of attaching the body to the Chassis/Cage unit more then attaching the cage to the car.

Does that make any sense?
    Or am I way off the mark?

I have talked with some Drag Car builders and this is how they "get around" some of the no tubular chassis' rules in some classes. I am hoping that when we are done with it all I can cut out/off a lot more of the unibody body parts to loss more weight this way.

By the way Carlos and All, keep the input coming, I always need other eyes and ways of looking at things. Can you say tunnel vision?
    LOL - Daryl

***OK: This was suppose to be a new post - but it got done as a Edit?????

Jay I took your advice to heart and did Plan 2 for the down tubes. I cut and re-fit them so that about 60% or so of them will get welded to the strut towers now. I also got the one piece diagonal fit into place – what a pain!

HELP anyone who has built a cage – How do you get the diagonal into the cage?

I mean – to be able to weld all the way around both down tubes top and bottom, you have to put them in first and weld them into place, right? Then you would put the diagonal into place, but you can not do that. I have to put the diagonal in and then side the driver’s side down tube into place up against it to get the good tight fit of the three tubes together that I fit up. At least that is how I fit them to go together. “?”

So here are some pictures of the re-fitting of the tubes I did today:

Driver's side down tube .................................................. .................................................. .... Passenger side with diagonal in place

The strap is to get the main loop in place, everytime I pushed the second down tube in the first one would fall out

Last edited by OLD MAN; 04-11-2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    1969 1602, 1998 M3 Sedan
    nice work....

69' BMW 1602 Vintage Racecar BS-L Racing w/ VARA in Cali (@1602racer on IG)
    10' Toyota FJ Pre-Runner (LS3 big suspension - @trophyFJ on IG)
    17' F250 6.7l Tow Rig and shop truck
    '12 X5d Wifeymobile
    89' M3 *Sold / 88' M3 *Sold / 98' M3 Sedan Sold / 06' M3 Comp.Pkg.SMG *Sold
    My 1602 race car build thread.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Thanks, how is your car coming?

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    e46 D-Mod, e28 euro
    Nice cage
    Boondock Motorsport
    powered by faith

My Cars
    '77 320i
    Looking good!! Nice work!

My Cars
    1987 325is Sleeper
    Nice keep it up
    next BMWCCA autoX here is May 16th, 17th Sat, Sun.
    Hope you can make it. I had a blast at the last one.
    should be gettin H&R Race springs installed next payday
    Also this time my father wants to sign up to drive my car as well. lol
    (2 old men and one old car)
    dont think my daughters are old enough yet
    Last edited by Delphin Metalic; 04-13-2009 at 05:43 PM.
    Cheers,
    -----Richard -----"Family Guy Budget Racer"-----
    Delphin Metallic '87 325is sleeper (Cardinal Red interior) money pit

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphin Metalic View Post
    Nice keep it up
    next BMWCCA autoX here is May 16th, 17th Sat, Sun.
    Hope you can make it. I had a blast at the last one.
    should be gettin H&R Race springs installed next payday
    Also this time my father wants to sign up to drive my car as well. lol
    (2 old men and one old car)
    dont think my daughters are old enough yet
    I hope to have it running by then, it will not be done but drivable.
    Sounds like you are going to have fun in May.

Looking forward to being there.

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    looking really good
    RIP homie TehPandaShow: Loiue

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    We have been working away so I thought I would post an up date for you all.

We have spent a lot of time the last two weeks or so scraping and scraping.

Because I decided before I welded any more of the cage in the car, to do some cleaning up and patching of holes. I figured having more tubes in the car would just make the patching harder to do. So Adam and I have been scraping off the Zolatone paint from the interior and also somemore of the sound proofing/body seam gunk. Not much to really show but we are both pretty sore from the job.

First picture shows some cleaned area and some not yet cleaned area side by side. We also got out the industrial strength heat gun for the sound proofing, some of that stuff is thickkkkkk.....

To take a break from the scraping through the week, I came home one night and test fit the seat - to mark the location for it..Also looking at a wood seat mounting idea....remember we are on a budget....

What do you think some 6" long carage bolts and nylock nuts?

Ok so I am not going to use wood, I went and bent up some 1" x .083 chrome molly tubing after working out the shape and postion. Tubing not pictured you will have to wait till I get it welded in.

Well we did a lot more scraping and cleaning - filled a 14 gallon shop vac bagin the last three weeks.

Then it was time to patch some holes and fix some rust spots..

and from this to this

And put out some more Fires!

Then today I cleaned some more and painted - I ran out of Argon yesterday so I could not do any welding and I wanted to do something.

Also while we were patching holes yesterday and doing all that weldeing -- I just had to do something different so I used the Sawsall a little...

We cut out the trunk lid (boot) hinge mounting locations in the trunk area.

The piece in................................................ .................................................. ....................................it gone.

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    addicted to the sawzall hug? lol

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Hay Ray - you know's I loves my Saw's'ALL by now.. Just wish I could find a Fix'S'ALL to use after it...

My Cars
    323i, 530i, '13 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Hay Ray - you know's I loves my Saw's'ALL by now.. Just wish I could find a Fix'S'ALL to use after it...
    duct tape, man, duct tape

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by E21Adam View Post
    duct tape, man, duct tape
    It is good for those pesky little leaks too.. back at ya Adam

And I am formally trained in the use of Duct Tape and Duck Seal for water proofing electronic equipment and such, for river crossings.

Old Corp/USMC certified, at least I was back, just after God created dirt.

OK - on the subject of the Track Car Build, we're still plugging away at it - but the train is running out of steam..! I hope to finish up the cage by May 8 or so. I would like to throw some wires and the fuel cell in it so we can make the San Diego Auto-X on May 15-16th - but it is not looking good. Oh well it will run again! someday.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu

finally took time to edit pictures and write up a short piece......

Been working away “somewhat” the last few weeks:

Working on –

1) Seat mounting, actually did a lot on this, want to have a slider on the drivers seat, because we need it. Not much to show yet but pieces cut bolts bought and lots of measuring and re-measuring. Also I am working on attaching it to the cage and not just the sheet metal floor so this has been troublesome at times.
    2) Did some sheet metal work on the interior as far as new rear shelf and trunk divider wall mounting points
    3) Added more tubes to the roll cage – chassis points –finished the “X” in the rear down tubes and got the diagonal in the main loop.
    4) Did some sheet metal repair and clean up to the rear window frame lower line and put a new coat of rattle can white on it all
    5) Added some rear trunk tubes and chassis cross tube. Then I also started a wing mounting system off of these tubes. After looking through some threads and such I decided it would be a good idea, it is out of .060” mild steel 1.5” tubing to save some weight.
    6) Test fit the fuel cell mount while doing the rear cross tube – I am going to have to adjust it’s position a little – move it forward about 1.5 to 2” or so. Not really a bad thing, as I have material in the mount to do this if needed.
    7) Capped off the open upright tubes at the rear end mounting points
    8) Started bending and fitting the “A” post tubes back to the Main “B” loop.
    9) Did some more cleaning “always” and did some more painting – tried of the rust starting on the raw metal and wanted to play around with a finished interior color skim.
    10) Bought some fuel lines – bent the replacement hard line. I’m going to run a steel line in the stock position for now till I get more things worked out.
    11) Of course I did a little more cutting off of un-needed body parts.
    12) We started the work of mounting the fiberglass trunk lid, got the Dzus mounting tabs on and did some priming and painting.

Confession to the professional welders, my weld has not improved much. But the welds are good just a little thick in places. I blame it on my old body not being as nimble as it once was, the more tubes I get into this small car the harder it is to get to and see what the hack I am welding. If there ever is a next one I want to use a tig welder!

Anyway here are some pictures for those of you who care……

More tubes and interior clean up - first where it was the last time I posted:

Now some of what I added - Tubes & playing with paint colors

Sheet Metal -

Some sheet metal work for the rear divider:

Finishing the "X" and the main loop Diagonal

Then I did some rear window frame work -

Then there are the trunk cross brace and down tubes - first the holes drilled into the rear frame channels -

Then the cross tube and down tubes - Passenger side has a 5/16" stud welded into it for the Battery ground cable. Also added some 1/2" EMT tubing to brace the rear window lower frame.

Also put the Fuel Cell mount in place to see if I need to modify it, I do.

And the start of the Wing Mount -

Trunk mounting Tabs -

I will take more pictures and post later... 24 is on!!!
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 05-19-2009 at 08:37 AM.

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    any update over the weekend ?

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Hi Ray

I did work on few things this weekend and but ran out of gas for the welder early on, so attaching parts was limited.

To me the biggest thing was, finishing up the Driver Seat mounting system and getting it welded into the car before the gas ran out. I have been working on this for about a month on and off, buying hardware getting tubing and bending it. But most of my time was really just spent on looking at, thinking about and working details on how to get the sliders mounted to the seat adjusters and then on how to get that assembly mounted to the car.

Details:
    1). Seat is an aluminum Kirkey high back drag seat
    2). With adjustable aluminum mounts not sure who made them, they did not fit the seat so I had to bend and space them to fit. Also made some aluminum spacer/washers out of sheet aluminum I had by using my drill press and hole saw set.
    3). Used stock E21 Racaro Sliders - Adam and I are different enough in height that we could not mount the seat stationary in one place
    4). “U” loop mount is 1” .063” wall chrome molly tubing
    5). Plate steel is 1/8” on the open ends and 1/16” on the bent end.
    6). Center bar (5 point belt mount) is the same 1” chrome molly with 3/32” thick bent mount – 7/16” fine thread (Distorted Thread) steel lock nut welded to the bottom side. I will be adding a second one a little further back for my seat position.
    7). So far all the bolts are 3/8” or 5/16” button heads with distorted thread steel locking nuts.

Still need to work out the in-broad tunnel lap belt mounting point. I know where to put it just not sure how to attach it to the car. I am thinking of maybe adding to the 1” chrome molly and mounting a tab to that?

Aluminum washers

I cleaned up the ones I used on the belt sander

Then worked on getting pieces mounted on the seat - about a period of two weeks spent on this

Then came positioning the 1" loop, most have done this about 10 times in the past two weeks and double checked the seat on it just as many times. But there comes a time to trust what you have measured and tested and make some welds - so:

Loop mounting points on the door side, 1/8" plate welded to the cage bar and floor.

This is the 5 point belt attachment point

Welding in the loop - this is it - hope it is right!

Finished mount in car

Also did some more cleaning in the trunk area and heat gunned off the last of the sound proofing, cleaned out welding mess and did some painting. Adam and I also finished up the mounting of the "HDX" FiberGlass trunk lid, I will post pictures of it later. I should be ready to put the fuel cell mount in this week along with the Battery mount.

Maybe even start running fuel lines. -- - - ---More later......
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 05-26-2009 at 11:52 PM.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Nice, can't wait to see it DONE

My Cars
    '71 Bavaria
    Damn DaryL!!! How did I miss this? Great work! hope to see you next year at b'fest!

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickysbmw320i View Post
    Damn DaryL!!! How did I miss this? Great work! hope to see you next year at b'fest!
    Not Sure.....Thanks

It has been to long with it not running, hope to get it started this month. Started ordering some wiring stuff yesterday and I am real close to being ready to weld in the fuel cell mount - maybe this week end.

When I get it running I will post up some pictures on the E21 section - Adam wants to fix his new-used "M" Coupe, so I need to move the race car to do that.

My Cars
    1975 BMW 2002
    Awesome job! I really like the way its turning out. Almost looks like you have a full tube frame car in the works.. or is that the next project .

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Man looks great! Love the attention to detail on the cage work. Not too shabby MIG work also. Keep up the good work!
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Thanks Cheechthechi & Stealthbeam, it has turned into a real love / hate relationship! But it is all my fault, , I am the one who keep bring out the Sawzall and adding more and more tubes!!!

Cheechthechi it is going to pretty much be a tube chassis car when we are done with it, assuming that time ever comes???!

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    We have been slugging away at our little toy - so here is a quick update:

* Fuel cell mount is in
    * Fuel cell in and out - fitting and number 3
    * Working on filling in the missing trunk floor
    * New battery mount in - it is a bolt in piece I got from a mail order Circle track supplier. Great prices on things.
    * Half of the future wing mount done
    * All of the Cage/Chassis from the Main loop back is Done!!!
    * Everything behind the Main Loop back has been painted - growing tried of the surface rust...
    * Drivers Side seat mount is done
    * Starting to install fuel lines - most of these will be new stock replacement style steel lines for now - budget thing.
    * HDX Fiberglass trunk lid install is done
    * Installed new Polyurathane steering rack bushings
    * most likely more little things I have forgotten about..

Parts in place:

Making templates

Trunk lid on

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    looks tits! can't wait to build mine one day
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    e36 Track Car
    Extremely Clean. It would be interesting to roll that thing accross a scale.
    Regards, Nate.
    www.DriveFasterNow.com

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast