Thread: 2001 525i - what can cause cruise control NOT to work

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Check fuses then check brake light switch

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by kgeorge81980 View Post
    I have a 7/02 e39 525i. It was litterally a barn buy. However during the year the rats had destroyed several wire harnesses under the hood. Which i have re attached and soildered back together. All i could find any how It has a bad abs module pump as diagnoised by shop for previous owner. I have cut and spliced both front and rear brake ware sensors together. It has no cruise control not even the indicator lamp on dash. The windshield washer wont work. There is no power at the motor when tester but the fuses are good there is power at fuses 2 and 4 (i believe are their locations). It has a red brake light on cluster beside the ebrake light(which only comes on with initial key turn regardless of ebrake position) the yellow circle with triangle is always on. DSC button has no function or atleast there is no indication lamp when pushed, held, etc.it has the gauge cluster console with read outs of errors not the diagram of car. I have been searching these and other bimmer forums for a couple months now and have not found any cure for these issues. Thanks for considerations
    Really? All that going on and you had to bump a really bad 2009 thread instead of starting your own?

This original thread blows anyway because it fell into various guys complaining about cruise failures with totally different engine systems that run the cruise completely differently, and the one guy who pointed this out got slammed for no reason it appears. What a crap thread to choose to ressurect.

1. START YOUR OWN THREAD.
    2. Cruise won't work without good speed signals which come way of ABS. Sounds like you have total "ABS trifecta" and your ABS is completely forked. With all the problems you have who knows whether its just a bad ABS module, or something else. Entirely possible the ABS module is bad (not just 'the pump', its a whole computer brain in there which is what the PO had diagnosed...)
    3. With such an effed up car you really have to read codes. This ain't a bubba car to just wire up and hope you can fix it without reading computer error codes with some kind of a scanner. Get a scanner.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12