Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you remove the Side Emblems?

My Cars
    BMW Z3

How do you remove the Side Emblems?

Do they come off the same way as the hood emblem? I'm assuming the trunk one comes off the same as the hood.

I was thinking of putting these on.

How do you think they'll look?

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe, F25 35i
    dongparts

Gone But Not Forgotten: 1999 Tit. Silver 323i, 2001 Schwartz 330ci, 2005 Imola ZHP Vert

My Cars
    MCp, 4x4, horse
    Probably looks good on a black, white, or silver Z.

BTW, is that your real tire in your av? IF so, I don't think anybody will notice your emblems.
    F/I'd Silver/Black MCp

(All your ///MCoupe are belong to us..)

My Cars
    99' Z3, 11' STI, Ruckus
    don't waste your money on that bro.

My Cars
    '98 BMW Z3 - 04 Mazda 6
    Sweet another kid on the process of 'ricing" out his Z3...FACEPALM
    "I want the money, money and the cars, cars and the clothes, the hoes...I suppose..."

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    It's his car, let him mod it how he wants. Might I suggest the 'carbon look' stickers vice the whole emblem.
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    99 z3c
    a. Search is usually best first step.

b. Though I'm not a personal fan of the carbon fiber emblems either, it would be nice for someone to point you in the right direction, so..

c. Dental floss + adhesive remover seem to be liked by many. (Not positive on trunk emblem one as I have a coupe..)

Here are some threads on the topic:
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here

Last edited by greyish; 02-24-2009 at 10:12 AM.

My Cars
    99' Z3, 11' STI, Ruckus
    I'm pretty sure the hood and trunk have two little pins in the back that hold it in. Not too sure about the side ones though.
    You should just get the black covering for the blue spot on all of them and that would look much better.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9
    16.00 to ship 5 plastic emblems....YIKES..
    James Weaver
    Houston, Texas USA
    1998 Z3 Roadster 1.9
    White / Tan

My Cars
    99 z3c
    Quote Originally Posted by The ZED View Post
    I'm pretty sure the hood and trunk have two little pins in the back that hold it in. Not too sure about the side ones though.
    You should just get the black covering for the blue spot on all of them and that would look much better.
    As noted in above linked threads, side emblems are adhered via 3M product.

Regarding replacement emblems, if you're going to replace them with something other than stock (i.e. BMW blue and white), I say go all the way. Stick-ons can look flat, and partial stick-ons look cheap, in my opinion. Get what you want, who cares what we think. If it were mechanical advice, I'd say listen to the board, for aesthetics do you own thing.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe SC'd
    Right!!! Do your own thing. I'm going to black out my emblems also. I'm not going carbon though, just glossy black and white, I also have the white-grey-black "M" emblem for the trunk but can't seem to find the same style "M" for the side gills. So I having vinyl made. If anyone is interested let me know. I'm going in with the artwork tomorrow and am sure I can fill up a sheet or two with the white-grey-black m stripes.
    Mods: A Few...Rod Bearings, VF Eng. SC stage 1 - 5 lbs, HP Coil packs, Underdrive Pulleys, Organic race Clutch, CDV Delete, Shift pins, Short shift kit w/bushings, Shortened shift lever, Randy's Subframe, IE Bushings, TCKline suspension, Adj. Cast. Camb. (front), Adj. Camb. (rear) 700# springs, RSM, Rogue cover, Metric Mechanix trick variable ramp LSD 3.46, Wilwood Big Brakes, 18" CCW LM's, 315 30R 18, PSII's Complete custom exhaust… Ceramic coated headers ID/OD, Race cats, Eisenmann sport w/83 mm, Custom gauge pod, Custom gauges, Dual Wide band Air/Fuel monitoring, Built-in scan gauge, Becker Traffic Pro, Seat hump removal-both sides, Seat front raise, ACS rare low profile rear wing, Smoked tails, HID's Lightly smoked,
    Special Thanks To: Randy Forbes Rocknroad 2Kredz3 MC28REPSOL IslandS62 Clintjg jonesmechanical Ron Stygar and many more on our board!

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Thanks for the responses, I'm trying to black out the car and blue on the emblems is killing the look.

Anyone have a link to those stick on ones? I might get those first just to see how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by say mmmm View Post
    Right!!! Do your own thing. I'm going to black out my emblems also. I'm not going carbon though, just glossy black and white, I also have the white-grey-black "M" emblem for the trunk but can't seem to find the same style "M" for the side gills. So I having vinyl made. If anyone is interested let me know. I'm going in with the artwork tomorrow and am sure I can fill up a sheet or two with the white-grey-black m stripes.
    Sounds good man, I think the non-carbon ones would look better just couldn't find any. Do you got a link to em?
    Last edited by FR3SN0 Warrior; 02-24-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I replaced one of these about a week ago. I was able to remove it by prying very carefully with a flat-blade screwdriver that I had wrapped in a rag to avoid scratches. I removed the whole gill side panel to make it easier to work on, but that wasn't really necessary. The emblem was held VERY securely by the adhesive backing and it took quite a bit of force to remove it. I hope the new one sticks as well. In retrospect, I think I should have used the dental floss approach because it would have been safer (but my method left no residue). If I would have been patient/intelligent enough to search the boards or ask the question like you did, then I might have known about the dental floss technique.

As far as the look, that is totally your call. I think it might look good though. It would add a bit of personalization to the car without looking too garish. Plus it is easily reversible.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    heat gun
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    99' Z3, 11' STI, Ruckus
    I used floss for my Z3 emblem and the 2.3

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Yo Matt after you took off that 2.3 emblem did it leave anything behind?
    What was the paint like under it? Did it leave an outline?

I know it's perfect know but was it like that right after you removed it?
    Last edited by FR3SN0 Warrior; 02-26-2009 at 12:15 AM.

My Cars
    MY 00 Z3 2.8l
    Quote Originally Posted by FR3SN0 Warrior View Post

I know it's perfect know but was it like that right after you removed it?
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing, how was the paint after removal?

My Cars
    99 z3c
    Quote Originally Posted by tonysofia View Post
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing, how was the paint after removal?
    Mine was removed by PO, which I would have done if he hadn't, but it looks like it came that way. There is no evidence that there was ever anything there. I cannot speak for how older paint will look (e.g. fade potential), but in general it comes off clean. 3M makes quality product.

My Cars
    MY 00 Z3 2.8l
    Thanks! just did mine, came off like butter. A little goof off is all it took to clean up the residue. Car is a bit dirty

My Cars
    99 z3c
    Quote Originally Posted by tonysofia View Post
    Thanks! just did mine, came off like butter. A little goof off is all it took to clean up the residue...

Got to love a clean butt.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Dose anyone know where I can get those non-carbon(just black and white) emblems?

All I can find is the hood and trunk roundels. Thanks

My Cars
    96 Z3 ,86 Samurai
    The side emblems on my Z3 came off with of prying, they simply have double stick foam tape on the back. I used plastic body Trim tools, they are available from BAVAUTO for around 19.95, I purchased mine from Harbor Freight for 5.95. Suggest you put blue painters tape around emblem before prying to prevent scuffing,scratching finish.
    You can file an old toothbruch to make a pry tool. A blow dryer or heat gun may help loosen adhesive. From what I understand the hood (front) and trunk ( rear) are held on differently.
    Check Bavarian Autosport they might have the emblems you are looking for.
    Last edited by vjcamp; 02-28-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: add info

My Cars
    99' Z3, 11' STI, Ruckus
    Dose anyone know where I can get those non-carbon(just black and white) emblems?

All I can find is the hood and trunk roundels. Thanks
    I can give you a little bit of black vinyl for that and you can just xacto it out if you want. It would be free... instead of paying the 60 or whatever for the whole thing.

My Cars
    99 z3c
    Quote Originally Posted by vjcamp View Post
    ... You can file an old toothbrush to make a pry tool. ...

Sounds like someone has been taking off side emblems for a while, say, 3 to 5 years?

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    I can give you a little bit of black vinyl for that and you can just xacto it out if you want. It would be free... instead of paying the 60 or whatever for the whole thing.

Thanks a lot bro, but I ended up getting those stick-ons from Brimmian.

And I also got accepted to UCmerced

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast