Thread: noob turbo question

My Cars
    2011 Mustang

noob turbo question

It sounds really dumb, but how do you fit an intercooler in with an oil cooler in the front? I know the intercooler is supposed to go in front, but the valance only allows the oil cooler to sit in front of it and that already fits fairly tight. From what I see, theres no way you could fit an intercooler with it. Again, I know this is a question I should be flamed for, but I'm genuinely interested in the answer.

anyone?

My Cars
    88 325IS & 04 sierra
    relocate the oil cooler or get a different style oil cooler to put some where else

My Cars
    Turbo M50 E30, 95 M3
    delete the oil cooler.

edit: or size the intercooler properly so that you can fit both.
    85' Turbo M50 E30 | 95' M3 Nitrous, Coilovers, DJ Autos, UUC SSK

My Cars
    86 325e Baur, 03 330xi
    are you turbocharging your car or is this just another question asked out of boredom?

My Cars
    2011 Mustang
    Quote Originally Posted by tjmonsen5 View Post
    are you turbocharging your car or is this just another question asked out of boredom?
    both. I was simply curious, but I was thinking of turbo charging it over the summer. I also have a person who knows turbos pretty well who can help, but he said check on the oil cooler thing with you guys since you're e30 specific. He has an E36 and said the same thing you all did, but I figured I'd check here just to make sure.

My Cars
    Turbo M50 E30, 95 M3
    All im gunna say, is if you can't afford to do it right, you can't afford to do it wrong. With that bieng said, you will probably want to use MS am I correct? READ EVERYTHING! READ everything that has to do with electronics, turbos, engines, just anything and everything.

My Cars
    2011 Mustang
    well we'll probably be building the engine differently for the whole thing too

I just wanted to swap and M50 or S52 because I figured that it would be around the same amount of work and even less money for the M50. With an M50, I could swap an S50/52 easily if I wanted to later

My Cars
    Turbo M50 E30, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwlover0725 View Post
    well we'll probably be building the engine differently for the whole thing too

I just wanted to swap and M50 or S52 because I figured that it would be around the same amount of work and even less money for the M50. With an M50, I could swap an S50/52 easily if I wanted to later
    *Sigh* If you want to put in a 24v motor, and your going to turbo it, do it right. Your local to Maximum PSI. Have them build you a Frankenstien motor, that way you have a great NA motor that is boost ready. Yes its a lower compression motor, but you can't notice it when your driving around out of boost. And the motors are holding 40+PSI in a DD car.

See Below:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug-0lvvef_I[/ame]

That is a Frankenstien motor.

My Cars
    1986 325e E30 Coupe
    have to relocate, seen a few behind the centre grill ( i dont really like the look of it ) tough one really i been thinking about this to trying to make my mind up on the front mount/valace combo ...

My Cars
    86 325e Baur, 03 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Nj85'325 View Post
    *Sigh* If you want to put in a 24v motor, and your going to turbo it, do it right. Your local to Maximum PSI. Have them build you a Frankenstien motor, that way you have a great NA motor that is boost ready. Yes its a lower compression motor, but you can't notice it when your driving around out of boost. And the motors are holding 40+PSI in a DD car.

See Below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug-0lvvef_I

jesus christ is that your car? that thing is fast!!! I would LOVE to have a turbo E30, its god status!

My Cars
    89 325i, 89 IROC, 65 comet
    Quote Originally Posted by Nj85'325 View Post

See Below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug-0lvvef_I

Holly schwankenstein! That thing is intense.

I wanna go fast!
    PSN ID: (SCU) IceStationZebra
    Gamebattles.com

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Just move the oil cooler.

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, 04 325xi
    *sigh* Another one of these.
    If you took any reasonable amount of time to search on here, R3v, or e30tech, you'd have found ample supplies of pictures showing the installation and placement of ICs, oil coolers, etc.

But to answer the question: Depending on the size of IC you get you don't need to even touch the oil cooler. I do, however, recommend getting rid of the AC condenser and putting the IC in its place.

My Cars
    91 332is
    That car is haulin ass, even though its at 0 rpm's!!!
    "1991 332is - 1998 Supercharged OBDI S52 - E36 5-Lug with E36 M3 Brakes - B&G Coilovers - 2.93 LSD - Style 5's"
    Gone but not forgotten

"1997 M3"
    Currently being restored past its former glory

My Cars
    Turbo M50 E30, 95 M3
    Its Donovan's BMW SOB