Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: S54 Oil Pan & Pump Upgrade for the S52...here's what I learned.

My Cars
    97 E36 M3 Coupe
    I have run an S54 oil pump in my S52B32 at the track for 2 years now and yes, it is the right upgrade/mod for the S50/S52 engine relegated for track use only.
    To the question, a stock S54 pump with an S52 sprocket tack welded or wired in place does the trick. No internal mods need to be done. The critical issues with the oiling system on the track is the dual pickup system of the S54 vs. S52. The other critical component for track or street is the securing of the sprocket/nut on either (IMHO)

shameless bump here btw...

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...8123-235408%3F
    97 Artic Silver E36 M3 Coupe; Track RAT (Thanks to Irish M3 for the guidance)
    Full Track suspension via TC Kline; TMS and BW; BFG R-Comps; Custom Splitter made by Amir; 3.64 LSD 40% Lock-up; 24lb inject; M50; Dinan TB; 803; 3.5" CAI; Supersprint LTH & AA 3" race exhaust; S54 oil pump combo; BW fuel starvation kit; tuned by Epic Motorsports (thanks to Randy Mueller...253/242 on race gas via DynoJet)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bimmerchallenge/

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    My bad. Yes. You are right. I meant the well keeps the oil where it can be picked up more efficiently.
    The S52 was infamous for oil starvation on prolonged left (or was it right?) handers. So the oil first moves forward under braking and then to the right (or left, can't remember). This causes a significant amount of oil to stay in that front corner. The front well on the pan and the extra front pick up tube on the S54 pump addressed this issue (as you pointed out, pumping oil from the front to the back pick up).

Thanks for keeping me honest.
    I believe starvation occurs on long left-handers as the oil will actually start to 'climb' the block. Our engine M/S/5X configuration tilts the engine slightly to the passenger side, so oil slide up the cylinder walls on lefties.

My Cars
    1999 e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    VAC can certainly sell you a complete new S54 pump that's modified and ready to go. I don't know whether they have a complete pump/pan/parts package or not. You'd have to compare the different purchasing approaches to see if one is advantageous.

Re the motorsport timing chain, bear in mind that significant additional disassembly is required, since it's captive within the timing case cover.

Unless a special shaft is fitted to the S54 oil pump (VAC or other/similar) you simply reuse your original S52 oil pump sprocket. VAC of course supplies a modified sprocket to suit their uprated shaft, but you need to inform them that it's for an S52 engine or else they'll default to the S54 engine sprocket (which has more teeth and won't work).

Neil
    Neil - Thanks or the info, useful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    I believe starvation occurs on long left-handers as the oil will actually start to 'climb' the block. Our engine M/S/5X configuration tilts the engine slightly to the passenger side, so oil slide up the cylinder walls on lefties.
    One weird thing about my S52: It only shows oil pressure dips in high-g, right hand turns, not left hand as everybody else seems to encounter. My car has the Turner oil baffle kit. My mechanic dropped the pan, and all baffles are in place, pump looks brand new, etc.

My Cars
    97 E36 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by fbirch View Post
    Neil - Thanks or the info, useful.

- - - Updated - - -

One weird thing about my S52: It only shows oil pressure dips in high-g, right hand turns, not left hand as everybody else seems to encounter. My car has the Turner oil baffle kit. My mechanic dropped the pan, and all baffles are in place, pump looks brand new, etc.

I believe you will find that it is in fact high-speed, high-G right hand turns. This is also the case for fuel starvation without the 1st generation fuel pump used in 1st generation S50's....

My 2 cents
    97 Artic Silver E36 M3 Coupe; Track RAT (Thanks to Irish M3 for the guidance)
    Full Track suspension via TC Kline; TMS and BW; BFG R-Comps; Custom Splitter made by Amir; 3.64 LSD 40% Lock-up; 24lb inject; M50; Dinan TB; 803; 3.5" CAI; Supersprint LTH & AA 3" race exhaust; S54 oil pump combo; BW fuel starvation kit; tuned by Epic Motorsports (thanks to Randy Mueller...253/242 on race gas via DynoJet)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bimmerchallenge/

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    head
    spinning
    good stuff

My Cars
    06 GTO, e36 race car
    I see the light flicker in right-handers as well. I wonder why. Perhaps because oil accumulates in the head and doesn't reach the drain-back holes? I wouldn't think the flow rate up into the head would be very high but perhaps that's wrong...

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Thank you OP for making this thread.

Can someone comment on where to get this other relief spring? dealer part? or just get a washer which is 1.0 or 1.5mm thick and re-use old s54 spring? or re-use s50 or s52 spring? thanks!

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    I'm researching my engine build now.

After reading this (great) thread I'm wondering if anyone has received a machined S54 pump with no rotors from VAC? It seems to me, I could reuse my (perfectly fine) S52 rotors, shaft and sprocket- I just need the pump body opened up to acomodate the larger rotors.

I'll wire the bolt- not a fan of welding this...

Thanks in advance!

Ps: anyone have the part number for the Motorsport oil pump chain? I didn't see it here...
    Last edited by tiMASTER; 02-26-2017 at 02:21 PM.

My Cars
    06 GTO, e36 race car
    Quote Originally Posted by tiMASTER View Post
    Ps: anyone have the part number for the Motorsport oil pump chain? I didn't see it here...
    As far as I know they have the part numbers as the regular chains.
    Regular: http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/1...FG48-V553.aspx
    Motorsport: http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/1...G255-V553.aspx

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Thank you!

I assume this is a vendor you use as well? I've never used them before (or heard of them for that matter...)
    "Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"

PM me for E36 engine swap books and BMW ETMs! NOW SHIPPING!!!

My Cars
    06 GTO, e36 race car
    Yes, I use rmeuropean quite a lot, mainly because their shipping to the SF Bay Area is mysteriously fast

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    After reading this (great) thread I'm wondering if anyone has received a machined S54 pump with no rotors from VAC? It seems to me, I could reuse my (perfectly fine) S52 rotors, shaft and sprocket- I just need the pump body opened up to acomodate the larger rotors.
    Not unless you want to risk ruining your S54 pump by trying to do yourself what VAC is already set up to do properly. The S52 oil pump shaft wouldn't be reusable in any case because it's too short for the two chamber S54 pump housing.

Neil

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    I spoke with VAC today and they can do the S54 pump in a high volume version for the S52. They have the rotors made to their spec which is very close to stock S52. I guess if you converted to solid lifters in an S52 the S54 pump could be used as-is. With hydraulic lifters you need the volume.

In case anyone was wondering.

Although I could machine the pump housing myself, I was not suggesting I would.

My Cars
    325e,M3/4/5,540iA,X5 4.4
    I spoke with VAC today and they can do the S54 pump in a high volume version for the S52. They have the rotors made to their spec which is very close to stock S52. I guess if you converted to solid lifters in an S52 the S54 pump could be used as-is. With hydraulic lifters you need the volume.

In case anyone was wondering.

Although I could machine the pump housing myself, I was not suggesting I would.
    Sounds like I need to give them a ring and send my pump in for this
    Montego/Saddle E91 328i xDrive - Estoril/Cloth Blue M3/4/5 - LeMons 325e - Artic/Black 1998 540iA (shell, for sale or donation towards LeMons)

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by rwh11385 View Post
    Sounds like I need to give them a ring and send my pump in for this
    It's kind of pricey but completely works as advertised. Worth it in the end as a reliable solution.

Neil

I have seen members shim the relief valve slightly, which was said to fix the issue with low pressure at idle; i did it to my pump and it only helped a little bit, havent done a pressure test but the idiot like flickers slightly at idle. Could be some other issue but this is what im seeing right now. Couldnt go with the vac upgrade as it was way out of my budget. I guess if you have the dough, do it. That being said, anybody have any suggestions for my case? The light goes away if I rev the car a hair, so raising the ide via software is one option. Anything else i should look at?
    Car is a 99 M3, using 5w40 oil atm.

My Cars
    '96 BMW 328is '08 F250
    Quote Originally Posted by ejm416 View Post
    I have seen members shim the relief valve slightly, which was said to fix the issue with low pressure at idle; i did it to my pump and it only helped a little bit, havent done a pressure test but the idiot like flickers slightly at idle. Could be some other issue but this is what im seeing right now. Couldnt go with the vac upgrade as it was way out of my budget. I guess if you have the dough, do it. That being said, anybody have any suggestions for my case? The light goes away if I rev the car a hair, so raising the ide via software is one option. Anything else i should look at?
    Car is a 99 M3, using 5w40 oil atm.
    Would be interested in a resolution for this as well as I have the same issue with using the pump on the S52. Low oil pressure light flickers at idle, but goes away with ever so slight of an increase in RPM. Normal pressure at WOT peaks at the relief valve settings of 55 psi or so.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Update on my situation, pretty sure i had tiny vacuum leak somewhere, causing the car to idle low. Doesnt do it anymore for the most part, only when the car bogs down with the AC on, probably due to some other issue; looking into it now. I think its sorta safe to say the washer trick worked out, if anybody says otherwise id be very interested in your opinion.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    I straightened the s50 dipstick a few degrees and mated it with a pre '03 s54 oil pan. I think the clearance between the end of the dipstick and the oil pan is only around 2mm. Should I trim 3-5mm off the dipstick for better flow? The larger of the cover is convex about 4mm?

Also, to confirm the torque for the main rod bolts (x4) are 20nm then 50 degrees using clean, oiled bolts? I read somewhere that the torque should be 20nm then 70 degrees?

20nm then 50 degrees on dry (used brake cleaner) bolts is not tight enough yes? Thanks for any advice.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    This is what I did. From the TIS; "Main Bearing Srews"

crankbolts.png

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, The M54, and others, are listed at 20Nm, 70 deg, so maybe that's where the confusion comes from.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Thank you!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    here's the actual online link.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...arings/5TwyPPh

- - - Updated - - -

Also, FYI any time there's a "torque + angle", you'll used clean oiled bolts/screws.

My Cars
    99 M3

S54 Oil Pan & Pump Upgrade for the S52...here's what I learned.

A question with regards to the ‘LWT Trunk Kit” pan/pump/pickup.
    Is the ‘LWT’ S50 (Euro) pump similar enough to the E46 OP such that the VAC ‘fix’ can be accomplished on this pump also?
    ... it appears as though the inner impeller p/n 11411748098 is turning up NLA.

Ref. Outer Rotor 11411748100
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 01-03-2021 at 02:53 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    A question with regards to the ‘LWT Trunk Kit” pan/pump/pickup.
    Is the ‘LWT’ S50 (Euro) pump similar enough to the E46 OP such that the VAC ‘fix’ can be accomplished on this pump also?
    ... it appears as though the inner impeller p/n 11411748098 is turning up NLA.
    Short answer: yes.

There are minor external cosmetic differences between the older Euro dual pickup oil pump and the later S54 version, but the internals appear to be the same. In fact VAC accepted an extra Euro pump I had on hand as a core for their upgrade. Of course the original oil pressure pump section internals get discarded anyway.

Whether VAC buys and fits original BMW single chamber gerotor pairs for their upgrade, or makes their own replacements, has been a matter of speculation. I sure don’t know the answer to that. In fact if BMW doesn’t manufacture the pump themselves, maybe the replacement guts come from the original supplier?

Neil

My Cars
    1990 325i
    An excellent thread, still have some questions though:

Can the stock S50 dipstick tube be used or is a s54 tube required?

Is there a gasket for the return pickup tube to pump or do people use rtv?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast