Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much does your dealer charge per hour?

My Cars
    no BMW at the time

How much does your dealer charge per hour?

I just inquired about the hourly rate to get an iPod interface installed and I was quoted 1.5 hours @ $125/hour.

$125/hour? I did hear that dealers nowadays rely on revenue from service departments and not as much on sales, but $125/hour...

My lawyer charges $200/hour

What are the hourly BMW service rates at your locations?
    Ordered: '14 BMW M4
    Current: '08 Suzuki GSXR 1000; '08 HD Street Bob
    Previous: '06 BMW 330Ci; '06 Mercedes CLK-350; '04 Acura TL A-Spec; '95 BMW 318ti

My Cars
    05 STI (stage 2)

My Cars
    BMW
    Cincinnati -

The BMW Store - $90-$110/hr depending on the service provided.
    Jake Sweeny BMW - $120/hr

It's a total rip off, but the second option a local shop known for collecting M series cars, Enthusiast Auto, charges $80/hr which is reasonable for the work. I've used them once now and they even washed and cleaned the car for me.

My Cars
    1986 325e E30 Coupe
    maybe they use gold plated tools?

My Cars
    BMW
    Hah! Yeah, no the work is the same as if you did it in your driveway. Just takes less time since they have cool things like lifts and extra hands

My Cars
    Jeep Wrangler
    I think we are $99.50 per hour.

My Cars
    '80 WBA/'98 WBS/'06 WBA
    Now you guys have me curious as to what my local dealership charges.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Filip75 View Post
    I just inquired about the hourly rate to get an iPod interface installed and I was quoted 1.5 hours @ $125/hour.

$125/hour? I did hear that dealers nowadays rely on revenue from service departments and not as much on sales, but $125/hour...

My lawyer charges $200/hour

What are the hourly BMW service rates at your locations?
    Your lawyer must not be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron86 View Post
    Cincinnati -

The BMW Store - $90-$110/hr depending on the service provided.
    Jake Sweeny BMW - $120/hr

It's a total rip off, but the second option a local shop known for collecting M series cars, Enthusiast Auto, charges $80/hr which is reasonable for the work. I've used them once now and they even washed and cleaned the car for me.

So the Spartan Brands always cost less than the National Brands and nobody writes letters to General Mills telling them that they're ripping everybody off with their prices of cereal. Yet, when the BMW dealer charges more than a generic shop, everybody gets all bent out of shape about the expense.

Independent shops don't have to send every tech to mandated BMW training classes that cost hundreds of dollars per student for the class and hundreds more for travel and hotel expenses (the clases are only in 4 locations throughout the country). We have 20 technicians. And 5 Advisors. They each take 2-3 classes per year. The indie shops' techs have to take a State test every 5 years that costs $36.

BMW techs tend to make more money than indys, there's another couple of bucks per hour just to cover that.

When's the last time an aftermarket shop picked up and dropped off your car for you from your work? Washed and vaccuumed the car after the service?

Anyhow, not to bash on the indys, but the dealers (at least this one) tends to do a lot more for the customers to earn that extra 20-30 bucks per hour.

We're at $117, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2004 E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Lol, maybe. I've heard of some of the prominent Atlanta lawyers charging up to $600/hr.

To OP, labor rates in excess of $100/hr for BMWs are not uncommon.
    Last edited by pckl300; 02-12-2009 at 11:31 AM.

My Cars
    '13 x1 35i, '13 Mustang
    Dealers around me charge $115-$125 per hour but my indy charges $88.50 per hour.
    '13 328i F30
    '13 Mustang 3.7 V6 Coupe Premium Pony Package

PAST
    87 528eA. 01 525i/5 Sport
    87 528e/5. 01 M5
    92 525i/5. 03 325xi
    92 535iA. 10 Mustang V6 4.slow
    99 528iA Sport. 13 X1 xDrive 35i

My Cars
    Jeep Wrangler

So the Spartan Brands always cost less than the National Brands and nobody writes letters to General Mills telling them that they're ripping everybody off with their prices of cereal. Yet, when the BMW dealer charges more than a generic shop, everybody gets all bent out of shape about the expense.

Independent shops don't have to send every tech to mandated BMW training classes that cost hundreds of dollars per student for the class and hundreds more for travel and hotel expenses (the clases are only in 4 locations throughout the country). We have 20 technicians. And 5 Advisors. They each take 2-3 classes per year. The indie shops' techs have to take a State test every 5 years that costs $36.

BMW techs tend to make more money than indys, there's another couple of bucks per hour just to cover that.

When's the last time an aftermarket shop picked up and dropped off your car for you from your work? Washed and vaccuumed the car after the service?

Anyhow, not to bash on the indys, but the dealers (at least this one) tends to do a lot more for the customers to earn that extra 20-30 bucks per hour.

We're at $117, btw.
    +1

My Cars
    '80 WBA/'98 WBS/'06 WBA

We're at $117, btw.
    I honestly knew none of that. Great points.

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    Critter is right, the over head at an indie is far less than the dealership, and you are paying for the experience of the techs, and also, the use of their equipment. The average indie probably doesn't have a $20,000 code reader. For simple stuff like oil changes, brake jobs, etc, I take it to the indie. It's not worth the $130 an hour my dealership charges.

However, when I had a little bit of trouble with my top, the independent shops had no idea where to even start on it because they had never worked on a Z4 top before. I took it to the dealership, and they fixed it fast without any recurring problems.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    95 M3 Cosmos, FZ-09
    We charge 110 an hour

My Cars
    '80 WBA/'98 WBS/'06 WBA
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBeam View Post
    The average indie probably doesn't have a $20,000 code reader.
    Sorry to sound naive, but do their scanners really cost that much?

My Cars
    95 M3 Cosmos, FZ-09
    Quote Originally Posted by twastheglow View Post
    Sorry to sound naive, but do their scanners really cost that much?
    Yes, the GT1 and DIS was around that price. We have a new system called ISIS I believe the servers alone were 25,000. The work stations are 8-10k a piece.

My Cars
    2004 E46 M3

I've never had my dealer pick up my car, or do a decent wash. I'd rather take it to an indy washer or wash it in my driveway.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    around 90 is decent

My Cars
    '80 WBA/'98 WBS/'06 WBA
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidChimp View Post
    Yes, the GT1 and DIS was around that price. We have a new system called ISIS I believe the servers alone were 25,000. The work stations are 8-10k a piece.
    Day-yum!

My Cars
    '96 M3
    Too much.

My Cars
    '80 WBA/'98 WBS/'06 WBA
    I called and found out my dealership charges $116/hour.

My Cars
    97 M3, 03 x5
    bavarian automotive-70/hr

my garage-free

My Cars
    2011 M3, 1997 Z3
    My question for the techs and other dealer employees is do you get the the same rate per hour for warranty work you bill BMW for?

My Cars
    Z3 2.8, MGB GT x 2
    My local dealer in Devon England charges £85 + VAT which in US Dollars today works out as a bit over $140 and hour.
    I recently bought a 1998 2.8 Z3 but did not get a key fob for the security system that is fitted. I went in to the dealer to ask about supplying mee with a new key fob. He said he could supply me a fob for £45 ($66) but I should first have the security system checked to make sure it was working as I would not be happy to pay out £45 only to find that them system was not working. Sensible I thought, well that was until I found out that to have the sysyem checked they said the car would need to be in the workshop for one hour, at the £85 + Vat ($140), the price for the fob would then be on top of that. I said I would leave it for now.........
    Does it really take one hour to plug the car in and see if the alarm system is working?

My Cars
    E30, E36/5, F350
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhunter View Post
    My question for the techs and other dealer employees is do you get the the same rate per hour for warranty work you bill BMW for?

The short answer is yes. Although it's not uncommon to charge more time for customer pay work. We have a set 40% upcharge over waranty time for most customer pay work.

Our Acura store is $130/hr

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast