Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1.9l to 2.8 swap thread (Official?)

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Some progress pics. I have a wire I am not sure on red/white stripe and yellow/blue stripe.

Also the updated crank sensor loom I think plugs in the fuel rail and vanos right? The old one just had a single plug...

Headers are a tight squeeze

I need to get some m52/s52 ref pics so I can see what special parts I need to assemble this like stock. Ie: smog pump setup/air box and emmission setup etc. how wiring is sorted you get the idea.
    Last edited by SWISS; 10-20-2009 at 12:57 PM.

My Cars
    A soulless IS250
    Some pics I had on my photobucket:

Don't know if they'll help. I thought the one where the intake manifold is removed might help some with your plugs.
    protip: If you're reading the post above, it's probably a joke.

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Thanks G, though that doesnt quite help. It is exactly the kind of help I am looking for. I noticed you had went OBD1 and have rerouted the vac lines. I see where the smog pump is and how the loom runs which is cool. I know I am missing parts here because my smog pump doesn't just sit in there like yours. And the hoses don't reach.

My Cars
    A soulless IS250
    Quote Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
    Thanks G, though that doesnt quite help. It is exactly the kind of help I am looking for. I noticed you had went OBD1 and have rerouted the vac lines. I see where the smog pump is and how the loom runs which is cool. I know I am missing parts here because my smog pump doesn't just sit in there like yours. And the hoses don't reach.
    It's actually an OBDII engine with an OBDI manifold (M50). That pic was mid-M50 swap.

I can probably get some more pics on my cell when I go out for lunch. Let me know if you want me to snap some and of what. With my cheesy, home-made intake, there's a lot of stuff out of the way.

My Cars
    97 1.9l Z3
    Wait wait! A 2.8 bolts right up to a 1.9 transmission? Do the mounts as well? Where can I find more details on a swap like this?
    Always in progress!

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmel89 View Post
    Wait wait! A 2.8 bolts right up to a 1.9 transmission? Do the mounts as well? Where can I find more details on a swap like this?
    Right here pimpin. Here at bf.c we're doin big things.

So far everything has bolted up and the 2.8 clutch and flywheel function. Car is not running yet, not getting fuel is the current prognosis.

My Cars
    A soulless IS250
    Right here pimpin. Here at bf.c we're doin big things.

So far everything has bolted up and the 2.8 clutch and flywheel function. Car is not running yet, not getting fuel is the current prognosis.
    fuel pump relay out? Fuse?

...or it could be that plug you were trying to figure out...

I wish I was close by. I'd pitch in and help out. I enjoy scraping up my knuckles, cutting my fingers, and busting my head on the undercarriage of cars.

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Quote Originally Posted by GBimmer View Post
    fuel pump relay out? Fuse?

...or it could be that plug you were trying to figure out...

I wish I was close by. I'd pitch in and help out. I enjoy scraping up my knuckles, cutting my fingers, and busting my head on the undercarriage of cars.
    No sweat G! I think I have it covered. I got so great info from the local Bdub slinger here in Tulsa and they said in EWSII it disables the starter, so if it cranks, it's not EWS. (phew). Their tech

Thanks to Brett @ the Racer's MArket. He told me the Z3 1.9 has a fuel pump relay on the driver kick panel, and the 2.8 has one on the engine harness. I have 2 of these guys now and one had power (engine side) and one didn't have signal hot or signal ground, only power to feed. So I grounded the relay and ran the hot signal to a cut local wire that had 12V. Pump kicked on and volts faded on MMeter as the interiror light dimmed. Nice I had tapped a interior footweel light that had been ommited at one point in it's life.
    Tomorrow I plan on perm routing those two signal wires and hooking the fuel system and other bits. Let's cross fingers and hope she runs !
    Last edited by SWISS; 10-24-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    S52 times 2

It's alive!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2II5S8yjA8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2II5S8yjA8[/ame]

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Wow, are you sure you didn't accidentally swap in a V8 . What exhaust do you have on there??

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    I guessing no exhaust yet?
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    97' M44 Roadster

Lol

Yup sounds like open headers. Brought me back to the time I ran my first car with open headers for 2 days while I was waiting on some welds to get finished up. It was a 67' chevelle SS 396 and man did that piss a lot of people off in town. Lol get over it!

On another note it's a possible theory that cold air coming up through the header at low rpms will warp/bend/burn exhaust valves. And who needs back pressure lol run it like that.....nah jk
    Last edited by RemedialMoFo; 03-13-2010 at 02:20 PM.

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Quote Originally Posted by luciano136 View Post
    Wow, are you sure you didn't accidentally swap in a V8 . What exhaust do you have on there??
    Ebay headers I had milled to be OBD2 compliant, and then....nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
    I guessing no exhaust yet?
    None really.

This past year I have been doing this I have came to the realization that the only 2 things these models share are basically the body and the main harness, damn near EVERYTHING else is different!

So Phase I was install obd2 motor with headers and start, Phase II will hopefully begine today if the 328i is still at the salvage and will include all front suspension,brakes, and maybe a rear bit here or there. Phase III will be routing anf hooking up all fuel and emissions components.

And yes guys I know that I can bend/burn a valve easy on a 2.8 with no backpressure, it also makes torque prtty much buh bye too.

I will keep you guys updated

And hey Luci! If you can get me some pics of the engine compartment that would help me greatly and maybe an underside front shot to show suspension set up.

My Cars
    S52 times 2

Got new exhaust. This is a $16.99 ebay muffler. And trust me guys, it looks way better than it sounds.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    I guess I gotta come over in the morning and check it out.

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Wow. With the 2.8 being the only 6 cyl part on the car minus the sway, this thing is a little tipsy in the corners. The tach is waaay off, heater doesn't work for some reason ( I MAY have the hoses bacwards), shifter is really short throw, no mods to it, just the angle the trans is on now affects the pivot position and the throw is shorter. Had my local Autohaus Rennsport in Tulsa here re-do my m44 AC hose to bolt up, picking it up now. So far I have driven it around for 3 days and it's fun as hell! The exhaust sounds so far away from what should emit from a BMW. It's all poppy and gnawrly raw sounding. Major highway drone, and super raspy. All I used was the machined ebay headers, the magnaflow 3" high flow cat, and a 16.99 ebay muffler. Car remionds me of an old Spitefire or a Healey. When the key starts at the gas station everyone looks, I had a 1.8T Jetta TURN AROUND and chase me down and practically beg me to race. I expressed my concern with the cars fitness and gracefully declined. It gets uber attention, but thankfully it is my second car and I can try to preserve the novelty longer.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    Swiss, that is one quick z3. I guess my turbo project will be sooner than I thought.

My Cars
    2002 Z3, ML500
    What about the water cooling system??

My Cars
    Z4, NA miata!
    Wow..it fits! :0

My Cars
    '96 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by tony003 View Post
    What about the water cooling system??
    I bought a 96 328i with a blown head gasket that the PO tried to install an AA low temp thermostat and a stewart water pump in, took those out and will maybe install today. charged a/c, heater prob was the stupid heater valve stuck after sitting dry for a year. I am using an e36 pusher fan and a 4 cyl rad, no mech fan. temps are just fine so far, haven't gotten over 85 degrees here outside yet and the a/c so far hasn't caused a spike,but I am installing the stewart pump and lower thermo in the z soon as preventative measures.
    Will pot a few pics later

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Swiss View Post
    I bought a 96 328i with a blown head gasket that the PO tried to install an AA low temp thermostat and a stewart water pump in, took those out and will maybe install today. charged a/c, heater prob was the stupid heater valve stuck after sitting dry for a year. I am using an e36 pusher fan and a 4 cyl rad, no mech fan. temps are just fine so far, haven't gotten over 85 degrees here outside yet and the a/c so far hasn't caused a spike,but I am installing the stewart pump and lower thermo in the z soon as preventative measures.
    Will pot a few pics later
    Oops logged in as teh wife....

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Got the whole set, fronts where $100 came off a 98 M3/4

Phase 2 has begun.
    Last edited by SWISS; 04-23-2010 at 09:06 PM.

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    MZ trans and 99 S52 just in...

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster
    2,8l engine fitted without any modifications? Did you use 1,9l's gearbox and diff?
    I'm planning to swap my 1,8l to 2,5 or 2,8l and just gathering information.

My Cars
    1997 2001 Z3
    Hello I have a 1.9 project and a 2.8 donor firewall forward I am very interested in this swap I am from Okla. also would like some tips or pointers Thanks Jimmy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12