Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 z4 automatic convertible top will not go down

My Cars
    2003 Z4

2003 z4 automatic convertible top will not go down

I recently purchased the 03 z4. I absolutely love it. Although, I am having some issues with the convertible top. When I press the top down button, both windows go down and the top unlocks, but the motors do not kick in to intialize the roof retraction. The first couple times I tried it, it would work after the 2nd or 3rd attempt, but now once the windows go down and it unlocks itself above the windshield the motors do not even make a noise as if they are attempting to retract the roof. When I had the top down (probably 5 times total) it went back up the first time every time. No issues at all with putting it back up. Also, I have had no issues when pressing the button for the windows to come down and for the top of the roof to unlock itself.

The car has not come with a manual, so I'm somewhat out in left field. I've done a little bit of research and have read a few things about a shelf being in the correct position in the trunk?

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 2.5i
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerz4 View Post
    I recently purchased the 03 z4. I absolutely love it. Although, I am having some issues with the convertible top. When I press the top down button, both windows go down and the top unlocks, but the motors do not kick in to intialize the roof retraction. The first couple times I tried it, it would work after the 2nd or 3rd attempt, but now once the windows go down and it unlocks itself above the windshield the motors do not even make a noise as if they are attempting to retract the roof. When I had the top down (probably 5 times total) it went back up the first time every time. No issues at all with putting it back up. Also, I have had no issues when pressing the button for the windows to come down and for the top of the roof to unlock itself.

The car has not come with a manual, so I'm somewhat out in left field. I've done a little bit of research and have read a few things about a shelf being in the correct position in the trunk?

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
    PM me with your email address and I will send a pdf of the manual. Mine is an '05 but most should be same.
    2005 2.5i Roadster - Sterling gray w/black interior and black top. Premium package, steptronic, leather, xenon, bluetooth, BMW Assist, BMW OEM alarm, BMW Sirius radio, Roadster Solutions windscreen, aux-in, sound generator, LeatherZ console and armrests, first-aid boxes, and Goodyear Eagle GTs.

My Cars
    2006 Porsche 911 C2S

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 2.5i
    Quote Originally Posted by skiboarder72 View Post
    the manuals are online at bmw.com
    On line manuals are at:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

But only back to 2004
    2005 2.5i Roadster - Sterling gray w/black interior and black top. Premium package, steptronic, leather, xenon, bluetooth, BMW Assist, BMW OEM alarm, BMW Sirius radio, Roadster Solutions windscreen, aux-in, sound generator, LeatherZ console and armrests, first-aid boxes, and Goodyear Eagle GTs.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 2.5i
    The following is taken from the BMW Technician Training package, courtesy of Ron Stygar.

Fully automatic soft-top
    The fully automatic soft-top, like the standard soft-top, consists of magnesium and aluminum components. The soft-top lowers and raises fully automatically by means of electrohydraulic servo units that control the primary soft-top movements. The soft-top/windscreen top rail locks are operated by an electric motor. The soft-top is raised and lowered by pressing the soft-top switch located between the gear lever and the ash tray - no additional manual operations are required. The inner lining provides a neat, coupé-style interior effect, and significantly improves the soft-top acoustics and heat insulating properties. The fully automatic soft-top is available as an optional extra.

System overview
    The hydraulic pump unit is mounted on the left soft-top main bearing.
    Hydraulic pump unit
    The hydraulic pump unit consists of an oil reservoir with an integral pump. The pump is driven by a DC reversing motor. All hydraulic valves are integrated in the hydraulic pump unit.
    Method of operation
    :

To change the direction of movement of the folding soft-top, the direction of rotation of the hydraulic pump motor is reversed. The hydraulic pump only operates while the soft-top is being moved. The operation of the pump and locking mechanism are controlled by the CVM IV control
    unit as required on the basis of the soft-top switch setting. A temperature sensor protects the hydraulic pump unit against overload. There is a temperature sensor fitted to the hydraulic pump unit (similar to E46/C). At a temperature of 105º Celsius the pump is prevented from operating in order to protect the hydraulic system from damage. The soft-top can then only be operated manually. There is no facility for topping up the hydraulic fluid on this sealed hydraulic system, nor is it necessary. The hydraulic system has a self-bleeding function which is activated by repeated operation. In order to replace the hydraulic pump unit, the soft-top frame has to be removed.

Hydraulic servo units
    The folding soft-top is moved in two directions for lowering and raising by two doubleaction hydraulic servo units. The hydraulic servo units can only be replaced in conjunction with the soft-top frame as a whole.
    There is one hydraulic servo unit on each side of the soft-top frame (in the main pillar) on the main bearings. The hydraulic pump unit is attached to the left hydraulic servo unit.
    Preconditions for raising and lowering the soft-top
    Before the soft-top can be moved, the following preconditions must be met:
    1. Neither window detected as closed by the basic module
    2. Vehicle stationary (road speed < 5 km/h)
    3. No hardtop fitted
    4. Ignition key position at terminal R at least (except for Easy Open/Close function)
    5. System test reports no faults
    6. No short circuit and no circuit break present
    7. Outside temperature is above minimum limit
    Preconditions 1 to 7 must be satisfied simultaneously.
    Lowering the soft top
    Sequence:
    1. Windows are lowered (window regulators are operated for 1.5 seconds if a closed win
    dow is detected)
    2. Soft-top is released from the windscreen top rail
    3. Soft-top is folded backwards
    4. Soft-top is stowed in stowage compartment and locked in place
    5. Locking latches are retracted while pump is still running
    6. Red LED goes out
    7.Windows are raised (2 seconds after soft-top locks in position)

Raising the soft top
    Sequence:
    1. Windows are lowered (window regulators are operated for 1.5 seconds if a closed window is detected)
    2. Locking latches are extended and the stowage compartment catch is released
    3. Soft-top is lifted out of stowage compartment
    4. Soft-top is raised forwards
    5. Locking latches engage in windscreen top rail
    6. Locking mechanism is activated, moves to "LOCKED" position and stops on reaching the limit switch
    7. Red LED goes out
    8.Windows are raised (2 seconds after soft-top locks in position)
    Note:
    If the soft-top button is released while the raising or lowering sequence is still in progress, the movement of the soft-top comes to an immediate halt. Because the drive system does not lock, the soft-top is then held only by the inherent resistance within the mechanism and the hydraulic servo units. Pressing the button again restarts the interrupted movement.
    Easy Open function
    An automatic sequence of operations for lowering the soft-top can be activated using the ignition key in the driver’s door.
    Sequence:
    1. Insert ignition key in driver's door lock
    2. Turn key anti-clockwise and hold. The basic module immediately sends the "Easy Open" signal to the soft-top module.
    3. The window regulators are then operated by the CVM control unit within 1.5 seconds. Windows are lowered
    4. Remaining sequence as for "Lowering the soft-top", steps 2 to 7
    5. Remove ignition key from door
    The Easy Open function is not possible after terminal R.

Easy Close function
    An automatic sequence of operations for raising the soft-top can be activated by locking the driver's door.
    Easy Close sequence:
    1. Insert ignition key in driver's door lock
    2. Turn key clockwise and hold. The basic module immediately sends the "Easy Close" signal to the soft-top module
    3. Remaining sequence as for "Raising the soft-top", steps 2 to 7
    4. The window regulators are then operated by the CVM control unit within 1.5 seconds.Windows are closed.
    5. Remove ignition key from door
    Note:
    If the signal from the soft-top module IV is not received, the basic module activates the automatic "Close All" function. The Easy Close function is not possible after terminal R.
    Emergency actuator
    If the electrics or hydraulics fail, the soft-top can be raised/lowered by means of the emergency actuator. To raise the soft-top using the emergency actuator, the following procedure must be followed:
    - Open bypass circuit on hydraulic pump unit by pulling cable.
    - Release soft-top stowage compartment catch by pulling cable.
    - Raise soft-top to windscreen top rail by hand.
    - Engage windscreen top rail lock using Allen key.
    For lowering the soft-top with the emergency actuator, the procedure is reversed.
    Opening bypass circuit on hydraulic pump unit:
    In the boot on the left-hand side below the soft-top stowage compartment base there is a release cable with a plastic pull handle. The plastic pull handle is pulled out as far as it will go and then locked in that position by turning it through 90º. This opens a bypass circuit in the hydraulic pump unit. The soft-top can then be moved by hand.

Emergency stowage compartment catch release
    The soft-top stowage compartment catch must then be released. This involves pulling the release cable on the rear boot trim panel. The soft-top stowage compartment catch then disengages. The release cable is on the boot bulkhead. Pulling the release cable handle from inside the boot releases the soft-top stowage compartment catch. The soft-top can
    then be raised up to the windscreen top rail by hand.
    Operating the windscreen top rail lock manually:
    To lock the soft-top to the windscreen top rail, the plastic trim on the front roof bow must be removed. Below the plastic trim panel is a socket-head bolt. Using the Allen key supplied in the vehicle toolkit, the windscreen top rail lock can then be locked or unlocked manually.
    Adjustment after soft-top removal/replacement:
    There are factory-fitted adjusting shims under the fixing bolts (M8) on the B-pillar. Those adjusting shims ensure the correct lateral gap between the soft-top and the body.
    Variable-position soft-top stowage compartment base
    The mechanism of the soft-top stowage compartment base consists of twin hinges with adjuster handles and gas dampers.
    The stowage compartment base is at its lowest position when the soft-top is stowed. When the soft-top is raised, the variable-position soft-top stowage compartment base (3) can be manually raised to the upper position from inside the boot. This provides additional boot space so that bulky items such as drinks crates, golf bags, etc. can then be carried. The
    soft-top can only be lowered when the stowage compartment base is at its lowest position. So that the position of the stowage compartment base can be automatically detected, there is a microswitch (1) fitted to it. The stowage compartment base can be moved to the upper or lower position by turning the adjuster handles (2). Gas dampers incorporated in the two stowage compartment base mechanisms hold the stowage compartment base at the respective limits of movement.

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    Thanks for all the advice guys!

I have checked the microswitch. It is working properly. With the shelf in the luggage compartment (trunk) in the up position. There is absolutely no movement when the convertible top down button is held. When the shelf is in the lowered position and the top down button is held, the windows go down half way and the convertible top is unlocked from above the windshield. Although, the motor does not kick in to retract the roof.

I have never pulled the red handled bar in the trunk for the hydrolic motor.

Is the motor bad?

Could it be a blown fuse?

I can't find the fuse box. I have an 03 z4. I have the manual for the 05. It says the fuse box is in the glove box. I don't believe it is located in the same place for my model year.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by bimmerz4; 02-12-2009 at 12:48 AM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 2.5i
    Are you sure you are meeting all of these interlocks?

Before the soft-top can be moved, the following preconditions must be met:
    1. Neither window detected as closed by the basic module
    2. Vehicle (road speed < 5 km/h)
    3. No hardtop fitted
    4. Ignition key position at terminal R at least (except for Easy Open/Close function)
    5. System test reports no faults
    6. No short and no circuit break present
    7. Outside temperature is above minimum limit
    Preconditions 1 to 7 must be satisfied simultaneously.

The Fuse Box is located behind the glove box and accessible by removing the glove box door and underdash panel. The fuse box contains blade type fuse and special fuses for higher amperage consumers. Relays are located on both the front and back sides of the fuse box.

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    I believe it does meet all these requirements. If it did not meet all 7 requirements would the windows goes down half way and the roof unlock from above the windshield when the convertible top down button is pressed and held?
    Last edited by bimmerz4; 02-12-2009 at 07:49 AM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 2.5i
    I believe it does meet all these requirements. If it did not meet all 7 requirements would the windows goes down half way and the roof unlock from above the windshield when the convertible top down button is pressed and held?
    My understanding is those things happen first then the motor and hydraulic pumps start if the remaining interlocks are satisfied. I do not know what the ambient temp interlock is. Guessing that it is around the freezing point. This interlock prevents overheating of the motor due to the thickening of the hydraulic fluid at low temps.

Check your fuses. The fuse box is DEFINITELY behind the gove box. It has a a cover that must be removed after you open the glove box. Get down there so that you can see inside the glove box and you should be able to figure it out. Inside the fuse box is a cheat sheet on which fuses do what. Do you have that little sheet?
    Last edited by caseysc1; 02-12-2009 at 08:23 AM.

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    Thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. I will be checking the fuse box tomorrow afternoon. I will then update.

My Cars
    BMW z4
    i have the same problem with my 03, let me know if anything works. thanks

My Cars
    z4

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    I have just checked the fuse box. All 3 fuses that are associated with the power top are good. I pulled them all, checked them and put them back in the fuse box. I tried to start the convertible top again. The windows went down, it unlocked itself from above the windshield, and I heard the hydraulic motor run for about half a second and it stopped. How do I check if the hydro motor has power to it?

I've been trying to pull the red handled, emergency handle in the trunk so I can put the top down manually. It will not let me pull it. It feels like it is locked. I've pulled it in all directions and it will not budge. Any ideas?

I believe the hydraulic for the top is working somewhat. Reason being that if I press and hold the top down button the windows go down, the top unlocks itself from above the windshield and then I am able to push the top off a little bit from the windshield with my hands. I tried that multiple times. Sometimes I can lift the top only a few inches from the windshield before it stops me and other times I can press the top back almost half way until it stops me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by bimmerz4; 02-13-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    I went to try my convertible top today, and the motor kicked in and retracted the roof! It was slower than normal though. I believe the motor must be starting to go bad. Or could it be a loose connection since it worked then didnt work for a week or so now it is working again? Now than I can get the roof down, what precautions should I take? Can I do anything to help the situation?

If I clean out the drains now, will that help at all?
    Last edited by bimmerz4; 02-18-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 2.5i
    I went to try my convertible top today, and the motor kicked in and retracted the roof! It was slower than normal though. I believe the motor must be starting to go bad. Or could it be a loose connection since it worked then didnt work for a week or so now it is working again? Now than I can get the roof down, what precautions should I take? Can I do anything to help the situation?

Have you made a correlation to the top's operation with the temperature where you are trying it (indoors or outdoors). Looking at your local weather, today is a much warmer day. Cold ambient temps increase the viscosity of the hydraulic fluid making the mtor work harder. That's why there is a low temp limit on operating the top.

Is you car garage kept? If not, you definitely need to check the drains. I would check them anyhow. If they are plugged and you have water around the motor, the motor is done.

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    It takes an extra second or two than it used to. Sometimes after it disconnects from the windshield I have to give it a push to start retracting and once it is retrated the whole way it does not lock into the down position. I have to put my hand on the top and click it into place behind the headrests.

The car is kept in a garage. I don't believe it is the temp because I have tried it in warmer temps and it did not work. Well the motor must not be shot since it seems to be working now..

Thanks for all your help caseysc1.
    Last edited by bimmerz4; 02-18-2009 at 04:48 PM.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    It can't hurt, but I doubt it'll have any effect to improve your situation. If your drains are clogged, then water has probably gotten to the motor and rust may be what is causing your problems. Cleaning the drains might prevent it from getting any worse, but it's unlikely that the rust/corrosion would miraculously go away.

Of course, your drains might be fine and could have nothing to do with your problems.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 2.5i
    Should you need a new top, here is a link to a guy selling one:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1173819

I bought his Colgan bra and he says the following in an email today:

"I've sold all my Z4 & E46 stuff except the complete convertible top assembly. If you know anyone who needs a top or top components I'd make them a heck of a deal. It's new, still in the factory crate. It weighs about 101 lbs."

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    Well the top stopped working again out of no where. So, I don't think it is the temperature issue. Thanks for the contact, I'm going to msg him.

I found a used but warrantied motor from basiccarparts.com It was 165 shipped. It was removed as working and has absolutely no rust. Does anyone have any directions on how to remove the top and replace the motor? Or know where I may be able to obtain these intructions?

Thanks for all your help guys, this site is great.
    Last edited by bimmerz4; 02-18-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 2.5i
    Well the top stopped working again out of no where. So, I don't think it is the temperature issue. Thanks for the contact, I'm going to msg him.

I found a used but warrantied motor from basiccarparts.com It was 165 shipped. It was removed as working and has absolutely no rust. Does anyone have any directions on how to remove the top and replace the motor? Or know where I may be able to obtain these intructions?

Here's a link on unclogging the drains:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63033

My Cars
    1995 328i coupe

Glad to be an Idiot

Well after panicking about the potential cost of my roofs failure to open (amber light came on but no one was home), I read a few posts, engaged brain and realised that the shelf in the boot was in the up position, cutting out the roof mechanism.

Now corrected, whoopeee.

(recent got a stone chip in the windscreen, a pheasant took out one of my grille panels and the laquer on the wheels is starting to bubble )

Stu

My Cars
    2000 540i, 03 Z4, 06 X5
    I had the same exact symptoms, dealer says need a new top motor, $1,500 for the whole job.

My Cars
    '06 Z4M Roadster
    If you see a yellow light when holding the top down button (instead of the normal red), you need to lower the shelf that's in the trunk; one turn lever on each side.

DreamingWell.com Web Services

My Cars
    Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by medobson1 View Post
    I had the same exact symptoms, dealer says need a new top motor, $1,500 for the whole job.

You can get the motor assembly from $500 at Tischer, I've seen them go for a lot less on Ebay. My body shop guy quoted me $200 for the install, so shop around if you haven't done it yet.

My Cars
    Many

Here are the links for fixing your soft top motor

How to pull the top:
    http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=32&t=10189

How to replace the motor:
    http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=32&t=10190
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast