Thread: hard steering on slow turns only

My Cars

hard steering on slow turns only

Hi guys,

I have a 2001 740i Sport and lately I've noticed an intermittent hard steering only during parking speeds. Its as if the steering assist keeps coming on and off randomly during quick slow speed turns. It is not consistent and doesnt seem to be related to temperature. It may happen both during cold starts and after driving for several hours.

I've checked power steering fluid and there doesnt seem to be any leaks.

My obvious indication would be to replace the servotronic as described here:
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/477694

Ill be going out to buy the part later this week and I just wanted to check in with you guys to see if this sounds like a classic case of the servotronic going bad or if this could be something else.

Also, I've checked faults and there are no steering related faults as described in SIB 32 02 00
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/478109

Thanks guys
    Last edited by steebypue; 02-08-2009 at 12:12 AM.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    To be sure check for codes and reset them, if that doesn't work hook a 9v battery to the connector and see if it works for 3-4 min if it also goes hard again then the unit is shot....

Get a new one from oembimmerpart.com is cheaper then dealer and Max has super service

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    09 335i X-Drive Sport

Tensioner

I had the exact same problem, but also at higer speeds during high speed turns.

Fun Huh!

Anyway either check to see if your tensioner needs to be adjusted or replace it. I had to adjust mine to greater tension.
    Everyday is a good day when you can hit 100mph+ on the way to work!
    Sport: ON DSC: OFF

2001 M5 Sold, 2001 740i Sport Sold, 2001 330i Sold, 1995 M3 Sold, 1991 325IX Sold, 1991 318IS Sold,
    1980 633Csi Sold. 2005 CTS-V Sold.