Thread: Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

My Cars
    TRM E36 M3, E46 330i

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

So lately my 328i has been freaking out on me. When i push down the brake, the right turn signal on the cluster slightly lights up and a weird buzzing noise comes from behind my dash. If i turn on the left turn signal while the brakes are pressed the light blinks super fast but when i take my foot off the brake pedal it goes back to blinking normal. I also get a brake light fail 1 message on the obc. Then under low acceleration loads in first and second gear from a stop light the car bucks slightly, at wide open throttle the car feels fine and doesn't feel down on power at all. I don't know if these are seperate issues or all related. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

My Cars
    1996 328is
    The Emergency Flasher Relay is in the Power Distribution Box, position 8 according to Mr Bentley. Could be failing. Open the hood, take the cover off the fuse box, listen for the buzzing there.
    My 2¢.

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2004 Audi AllRoad 4.2
    Check bulbs in rear light cluster. A broken filament could be resting against the other filament in the brake light bulb, and sending voltage back through the circuit.
    Last edited by choffa; 02-07-2009 at 11:43 AM.

My Cars
    TRM E36 M3, E46 330i
    I'll check those out today if i get some time. Could that be causing the sputtering while accelerating too?

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2004 Audi AllRoad 4.2
    The bucking could be many things. Either air, fuel or spark related. Check the usual suspects first, vacuum leaks, intake boot, dirty maf sensor, throttle position sensor, throttle body, spark plugs, coil electrical connectors, oil in plug wells.

Any codes stored?

downeaster1 is offline Expert De-Vanos-er BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    135is #502 of 586
    CHECK YOUR TRUNK HARNESS.
    This is one common issue. A few cars have cought fire because of this. CHECK IT ASAP.

This has been a public service announcement from Downeaster1. That is all.

My Cars
    TRM E36 M3, E46 330i
    I already checked my trunk harness. Last night it threw a code, misfire on cylinder 5. I'm getting new spark plugs to see if that fixes it and if not i'll pull a coil off the m3 and put it on cylinder 5 of the 328i to see if that solves it. As to the electrical issue i haven't solved it yet. I still have the turn signal issue and the 1 brake light fail message.

I got the sputtering problem taken care of. Turned out to be a bad coil. I still have the electrical issue with the turn signal and buzzing though. The trunk wiring checks out okay. Anybody else have any other ideas?
    Last edited by nighthawk328i; 02-08-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    98 m3 sedan

98 m3 sputtering

My 98 m3 seems to start sputtering when I put the petal down and try to accelerate really fast, doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold, if i granny it around i have no problems at all, as soon as I want to go fast, it will act up, sometimes it goes away on its own, other times i can just shut the car off, and leave it for a min, start it up and it runs smooth again. any ideas? I have done some searching around threads, maybe the plugs, fuel filter, just looking for some feedback on this one.

My Cars
    96 328is, 93 325i, 9
    corrosion on the circuit board on the taillights can cause funky stuff like that to happen. good thing to check

My Cars
    97 328i, custom FZR
    if you end up needing the signal/hazard relay, let me know, i have an extra one that works. bought it to troubleshoot. they are $70 from the stealership. i'll give it to you cheap

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    My car's computer check system will keep saying 1 brake light failed then i have to take out the bulb and put it back in then it works for awhile then says it fails again... Anyone have any idea on what this could be?

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick998 View Post
    My car's computer check system will keep saying 1 brake light failed then i have to take out the bulb and put it back in then it works for awhile then says it fails again... Anyone have any idea on what this could be?
    Check the contacts on the socket, they could be corroded and only make good contact for a short time after you reinstall the bulb. Just my $.02

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.