Thread: Do our cars have side mirrors heated?

My Cars
    06 325i 6SP Sport+Prem

Do our cars have side mirrors heated?

hi my car (06 325i w/Prem & Sport) seems to be melting ice and snow off the side mirrors. it doesnt have the winter package so thats why i m asking - very handy feature and i m asking to make sure i m not dreaming....

My Cars
    '07 335i sedan, 6MT
    My 335i does (no winter package). According to BMW's website, standard (on the 335i sedan at least) are heated side mirrors.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ueQVBdIeCyKg==

Look under "exterior".
    If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.
    -- Harry S. Truman

My car: 335i sedan, montego blue/black Dakota, sport/premium/shades/heat. Mmmmm.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    My 323 doesn't, so not sure if the 325 had it standard. It became standard on the 323 here in MY08 though. Also keep in mind that if it is way too cold outisde, the heated mirror may not be able to melt anything, their heat output is limited and for a good reason. Best way to tell is underground or indoors when there is humid warmer air, the mirrors will defog if heated, otherwise they are not.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Best way to tell is to touch them after the car has been on for awhile, they'll be warm to the touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Best way to tell is to touch them after the car has been on for awhile, they'll be warm to the touch.
    If the car is outside in very cold temps you may not be able to tell the difference, but then maybe it is never that cold where you guys are so you'd be able to tell. I had heated mirrors on my e36 and am speaking to this based on experience in very very cold temps over 10 years.
    But then thinking about that long experience, can't recall the mirrors not melting snow even on coldest days, so to contradict myself, if it is not melting anything at all, either you don't have them or they are broken. I had one stop working on my e36.
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-05-2009 at 02:20 PM.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    335xi
    Generally you don't need them in very cold temperatures anyway, because the air can't hold enough moisture to frost or precipitate. Of course if it's 25F during the day, snows, and then the temperature drops when you leave work in the evening...

One of mine got hot and cracked the glass. It left a little brown spot, guessing the resistor shorted out. It was replaced under warranty as a 'stress facture', since there was no sign of impact, even though the sun had faded the brown spot significantly by the time I got around to taking it in.
    Last edited by sor; 02-05-2009 at 04:40 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    If the car is outside in very cold temps you may not be able to tell the difference, but then maybe it is never that cold where you guys are so you'd be able to tell. I had heated mirrors on my e36 and am speaking to this based on experience in very very cold temps over 10 years.
    But then thinking about that long experience, can't recall the mirrors not melting snow even on coldest days, so to contradict myself, if it is not melting anything at all, either you don't have them or they are broken. I had one stop working on my e36.

Wouldn't that be when it's the easiest to tell? When it's 10 degrees outside and the mirror heats up to 75, I'd think that'd be pretty easy to notice by touching it with your freezing cold hand after brushing off the car (while it's idling, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2009 335i-in transit
    isn't it standard on 335's? auto-dimming, heated and retractable/folding, or whatever you call em